“Friendliest Hotel in NYC” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Inn Times Square South

Comfort Inn Times Square South
Ranked #267 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Rochester, New York, United States
“Friendliest Hotel in NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Our theatre company holds auditions in NYC frequently, so we've stayed at many hotels there over the past 20 years. This one was heads and shoulders above any other hotel we've stayed at!! The staff was SO friendly, the rooms were well-appointed and clean (although small but, then again, what reasonably priced hotel in NYC doesn't have small rooms?), parking was conveniently located directly across the street, they accommodated every request (from early check-in, to storing bags 5 hours past their normal cut-off period - in fact, when I offered the hotel staff person a small tip for the luggage accommodation, she politely refused and asked me to just write a positive review of the hotel!), and price could not be beat. The only minor negative comment is that the fan for the room heater went on and off frequently throughout the night - finally just turned it off. We've already recommended the hotel to others and will most definitely stay again!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I went to Times Square. This place is at 8th & 39th. Times Sq is at 43rd & 8th. Empire St building is at 33rd & 5th. The subway is at 43rd & 7th. Hard Rock Cafe is at 43rd & 7th. Madison Sq Garden is at 31st & 7th. Very good location to walk to what you would like to see in the area. I took the subway to Statue of Lib and it took 20 min and cost 2.2 one way. The trip to the Lady/Ellis Island cost $13. It stopped at both places. Lines were not bad, but I thought longer because it is Feb. You could not go into her unless you paid for tour. I parked right across from hotel. Cost was $40 with hotel stamp. Hotel had a regular cont breakfast items with a waffle maker and chaffing dish with eggs and sausages(self serv). They gave me a excellent map to show the area. They had a person to help you for sightseeing. Cost of room(206) thru AAA, total was 240 with all the taxes. I did find after I booked that you can go thru comfort web site, book and pay in advance for 186 base rate. Driving into NY was not bad. GPS lost satellite a couple of times but came back up. Side streets were jammed with delivery trucks. There is NO parking to speak of on any of the streets(unless you get real lucky and catch someone pulling out). Leaving was a charm. Went to the first light,left 2 1/2 blocks down was Lincoln Tunnel into Jersey.

Room Tip: If night noise bothers you bring ear plugs. Many sirens during the night. Of course the Big Apple...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank hrcalso
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

Feb 2012

I'm an Atlanta, GA-based singer/songwriter that traveled to NY in February for a show. I expected that other than crashing on couches throughout the week that it would be impossible to find reasonable lodging that didn't gross me (& my traveling companion) out.

Thankfully, we stumbled into this Comfort Inn! Found it on hotels.com and gave it a go. Before I could even get the words out of my mouth, the receptionist Shivani had us booked into our room at the advertised rate! No hassle like our previous hotel!

Also, my cousin who was with me had his dog with him & the staff was very kind in acomodating our puppy. Not the easiest thing in NY!

So for the 3 days we were there, we had a great rate, a great location (off of Times Square enough to avoid getting immediately sucked into the crowds), & great service (the staff was friendly & professional throughout our stay!)

The management even allowed us to use the lounge/cafeteria area to do a dry run for my show. Not every place would ok with that!

The one big con of the location are the slow internet access (don't expect to be streaming videos).

So to sum up, our stay was a memorable one for the right reasons! A decent room at an excellent (by NY standards) price in a good location! If you're traveling through NY for a couple days, I would recommend this place!

Don't expect the lush & lavishness of a more expensive NY hotel! Just be glad to find something circa or under $100 that doesn't make you regret that you stayed there!

This location will be on my list for future visits!

Read some of the other reviews.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
timessquare_gm, General Manager at Comfort Inn Times Square South, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear future loyal guests!!

In writing my response to you, I remember exactly who you and your cousin are!! It was a pleasure to have you all with us and we are so happy that we were able to make this time away for you feel like home. The location is fantastic and we are a very pet social hotel; a difficult vibe to find in New York City.
We are thrilled that it was memorable for you and I do not think that I had a chance to engage with you on the internet issue; we upgraded the high speed connection this week and it is just so incredibily fast!!

We all look forward to your return soon!!

Warm regards,

The Comfort Inn TImes Square South Team
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

I stayed at the Comfort Inn Times Square South Area in Jan 2012 for 2 nights. I must admit the hotel was strictly average. I was given a room on the 2nd floor which provided no view of the Times Square. The hotel room was too small and cramped - not an ideal place for more than 1 person for sure.

The complimentary breakfast wasnt worth at all - it was very average and most importantly the breakfast area can seat not more than 12-15 people so it was so tiny and cramped that I had to share my breakfast table with 3 other people - something one doesnt want especially during the most important meal of the day.

On the day of my departure I wasnt accomodated for a late check in even though I had asked to check out at 2 pm - I was told to vacate the room at 12. More than that the concierge desk needs to be upgraded. I asked for a bus service from the hotel to Newark Airport and I was told to take the 12.30 pm bus as it takes 1 and a half hours to reach Newark. Since I was going to Newark the first time, I didnt want to take any chance. So I took the shuttle and was at the Newark airport at 1.15 - in just about 35 minutes after we left the hotel. Had I know this I would have easily taken the 2.30 shuttle - but the concierge lady insisted I take the 12.30 shuttle. I wasted 2 hours at the airport doing nothing.

I will not recommend this hotel, also from a safety perspective - late evenings it gets dark and deserted and one finds all sorts of suspicious looking people hovering around the room below the hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank nitinkalra
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I aplogize that we fell short; I wish to seek another chance from you!

Many of the areas that you did not like, other guests enjoyed. Rest assured, if you give us another chance, we will not dissapoint you - call ahead and we will take care of your every need; inclusive of a better view from a higher floor!!!

Kind regards,

The Comfort Inn Times Square South team
san francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

Normally I am not one to venture to hotels below 3 stars because frankly the quality level can be all over the charts. But on my recent visit to NYC I came upon this particular comfort inn online and a great rate for NYC. I was highly impressed! The hotel is in a very convenient location, right near times square, walking distance to Chelsea and everything you need is right in the area.
The rooms are nicely decorated and comfortable. Free wireless which is always a plus and a free hot breakfast. Overall for NYC hotels this was an amazing deal. Definitely will be staying here again next time I am in NYC.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo