The Sutton Residence
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in New York City
See available hotels
The Bernic Hotel(New York City)
  • Restaurant
Roger Smith Hotel(New York City)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel 48LEX New York(New York City)
  • Breakfast included
Oakwood Cosmopolitan(New York City)
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
New York Marriott East Side(New York City)
  • Room Service
  • Free Internet
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 May 2011

I stayed here with my daughter for 7 nights in May. I can only repeat the positive comments from other reviewers - rooms are clean, basic but everything you need (except soap in the showers, so be prepared and bring your own). The first floor is a very welcoming space, generously furnished with travel books, tv, dvd player, phone and computer. Yes, mattress was noticeably harder than any other hotel room I've ever stayed in, but we slept fine and didn't experience that as a problem. Bruce truly is an excellent host. He was extremely helpful and accommodating, particularly when our stay was unexpectedly extended by a day.
The only suggestion I would have is that it may be time for a detailed cleaning of grout in the bathroom we shared, which showed some signs of mildew, as well as corners and edges of floors & carpets, and tops of light fixtures & door frames. (I'm really not a fussy housekeeper, quite the opposite, I just noticed dust gathering.) These are very minor maintenance issues, and I would emphasize that otherwise, the hotel is very clean and attended to every day. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 14 April 2011

I stayed here for 8 nights in April 2011 and was sad to leave both New York and the Sutton. I was thoroughly happy with my choice of accommodation not thrilled with the hostel options in NYC or the lack of privacy of this option or the cost of a proper hotel room for a single. Bruce, the host and manager, happily took my calls in the middle of the night with a last minute earlier arrival and helped me our enormously with directions and day to day advice if I needed it. He even arranged to let me store all my things when I left for a conference for a few days in the middle of my bookings either side of this trip.

I felt very safe and close to the action and the Sutton is in a top location with all the useful shops the grocery and chemist at your fingertips but also bars, cafe's and some of the cities best restaurants. close to subway, walk to times sq, bloomingdale's and grand central and much more.

Bruce offered me clean sheets and towels also during my 8 night stay and the free use of washer/dryer and ability to cook own meals & breakfast is handy.

Like everything there are things that the owners of the Sutton could improve: the beds are a little too hard, I am used to a much softer mattress, a clock radio in the room (I did not need alarm as I have iPod but many others might and it's nice to listen to the local radio when traveling), a new dining table (the glass one does
not really fit and is very
not cool 80s!). as u can see all very minor details but worth a thought. Also I would love a nice hot water bottle to use but maybe byo as hotels probably don't offer due to being sued if twits burn themselves. You could hear the bar downstairs til late but it didn't bother me, I will sleep when tired and there will always be noise in the big apple!

Also, forgot to mention there was free condiments, tea, coffee @ coffee pot, and fresh flowers about. Nice touches.

Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 19 December 2010

If you are reading this and you have been trawlling around various websites looking to find somewhere in New York that is centrally located and reasonably priced - stop looking now - You have found the perfect place to stay already- it's the sutton residence.
At first me and my girlfriend we're a little wary - 'Is this too good to be true?', we asked ourselves. But no, I can definitely say we were thouroughly relieved to find it (up the stairs above the barber shop) and be warmly welcomed by Bruce (the owner) who made us feel right at home immediately.
The rooms are clean, spacious and secure, the kitchen and living facilities are a pleasant addition that you wouldn't get at a a regular hotel and the location is the best bit which is perfect. Just a block or 2 away from all the major hotels like the Waldorf Astoria, the Radisson and the Marriott, it's a 5 minute walk to Grand Central Station where you can get the metro to anywhere in Manhatten.
Thanks Bruce for a great stay in New York and I am sure we will be back again. I am certainly going to recommend you to any friends or family who are planning to visit NYC.
Joe and Emma

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2010

My friend and I stayed at Sutton Residence last month for a little early holiday shopping. The location is perfect- centrally located in Manhattan, it is easy to go anywhere from there and convenient to pop in and out during the day. The manger, Bruce, is a wonderful host- knowledgable, friendly, and helpful to the nth degree! The room rate is rare in Manhattan with kitchen and living area priviledges included. We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 6 December 2010

After reading the many positive reviews I was excited to stay here. However, after exchanging numerous emails with the owner before my date of arrival (to confirm I was definitely coming) the owner left a note on the front door of his building informing me that he suddenly had to leave town. Not one phone call, not one email.

I do not care how nice any hotel/B&B is - if someone does something like this they are pretty lousy and do not deserve your money.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo