“Great lunch in midtown”
Review of Basso56

Basso56
Reserve with OpenTable
Basso56 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #117 of 15,923 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 50
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Description: Fine dinning restaurant
Reviewed 6 December 2017

We were looking for a relaxing, delicious lunch following the Downtown Abbey Exhibit, after being on our feet for hours. We were welcomed without a reservation and enjoyed a delicious pre-fixe lunch. I had a muscles appetizer, rigatoni bolognese and a soda for $ 20. Quite the delicious bargain for the location. A burger in another pub might have been the same. Well worth the trip!

Reviewed 5 December 2017

Had dinner here last weekend after seeing a show in the city and it did not disappoint. Service was also excellent. Salads were good but just needed a little more dressing. Pasta entree was great as well as the veal marsala dish we had.

1  Thank Benzman79
Reviewed 5 December 2017 via mobile

Okay so let's get into it...

The restaurant was packed which was a good sign the smell of fresh traditional Italian food immediately filled the air as you walked over the threshold into the restaurant. If you weren't hungry before just sitting by that smell would cause you to salivate.

Thank God we booked as I doubt getting a table would be easy even on a Monday. We were in a dessert mood so didn't order starters, I would definitely try for all three courses when we come back. The food we had was worth the 3330 mile trip!

The server I think his name was wally was excellent and had real knowledge about the dishes on the menu and the long list of specials was memorised. My girlfriend ordered off the specials and I orders the filet steak.

The steak was cooked to perfection and the white wine sauce, caramelised onion, potatoes and Spinach complimented the steak. This steak is in the top five steaks of my life and that is a very difficult list to get on... Believe me! I was literally putting down my knife and fork to savor every minute of the steak.

The Spinach and ricotta ravioli which my girlfriend had was obviously made fresh on site not because they weren't prefect quite the opposite the fill was great well balance and perfectly cooked so the filling was soft and the pasta still had a nice bite to it. I would have eaten more of it but it was wolfed down.

After we had cleaned our plates the server came over removed the empty plates and wiped down the table. The service was genuinely great attentive but not in your face. There when you needed them and gone in a flash so you can enjoy the scrumptious food and romantic date night out.

After the table was cleared we were presented with the dessert and coffee menu. I was pretty full but knowing I wouldn't be back to new York for a while I thought stuff it let's go for a pudding, I got the sorbet and my girlfriend got the panna cotta just a great way to finish the meal.

I very rarely give out five stars but basso you got it.

Restaurant looked good clean and well lit you could see what you were eating.

The staff were excellent.

The food omg the food was fantastic!

The bill relatively small which is great if you are on a budget or even if you're not!

This is a meal I will remember for the rest of my life thanks for the experience and amazing food.

If you are in new York go eat here why are you still reading this go hit that reservation button and go get a great meal.

Reviewed 4 December 2017

First, how often does a restaurant call you to let you know your table is ready if we get there early...never for me. Sat immediately and welcomed with an attentive staff. Business dinner for two...but we did order for three as the choices were tough. Spaghetti and meatball special, I know, seems boring...but al dente and great. Gnocci was also tasty. The pappardelle with boar ragu reminded me of Florence. Grilled squid appetizer was delicious. Desserts, creme brulee, chocolate cake and panna cotta were good but the weakest part of the dinner.

Reviewed 4 December 2017

We arrived late due to delayed flights and construction that slowed our trip from the airport. Staying just half a block away, we had asked at check-in for a good Italian restaurant nearby. The person who recommended Basso56 was Italian and swore that this restaurant had a "great sauce". From the moment we sat down, the tastes were extraordinary -- the best since we were in Tuscany. The serving of olives in olive oil that had been expertly seasoned (that required sopping it all up using the delicious bread provided), followed by the salad and entrees, were all very delicious. From the home made pasta, to the tiramisu, everything exceeded our expectations. We are only here for 5 days, but I fully expect to return for at least one more meal. And the service was professional, friendly and efficient.