“Subtle and sublime!”
Review of Basso56

Reserve with OpenTable
Basso56 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #137 of 14,473 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 50
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Description: Fine dinning restaurant
Reviewed 10 March 2012

We read all the reviews here and knew we wanted to eat near Central Park after our theatre matinee. It was an easy walk here from 44th street and when we arrived, it was mostly empty (5:30) but by the time we left it was packed and there was a wait. Glad we made reservations.

Our server was Alfredo - he was charming and attentive and not intrusive. I ordered a salad and an antipasti and my husband ordered a pasta dish. It was a lot of food! and delicious. The olives that came before the meal were as GREAT! as the olives I have had fresh from Napa, CA - t hat is my benchmark on delicious olives - and they met and maybe surpassed it. The complimentary bruschetta made us feel welcome and told my tastebuds something delicious was coming soon!

I saved room for dessert and had their Tiramisu - divine! My husband doesn't even like coffee and he kept sneaking little spoonfuls - it was that good.

My favorite moment - I asked our server for a fun wine to drink with dessert and he brought me something sweet, fruity, sparkling, and like nothing I had ever had. What a surprise.

Not inexpensive, but we were in NYC to celebrate so it was totally worth it.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

Not cheap but VERY good!!!
We had to wait for awhile to be sitted (45 min) but it was worth it.

Fresh pasta & good wine

Reviewed 3 March 2012

I decided to host my team of 15 for dinner at Basso56 based on the wonderful reviews combined with the affordable nature of the dishes. The entire night went unbelievably well. Everyone loved their meals, and Alex was fantastic to work with in setting up the reservation. My thanks go out to the entire staff of Basso56 for making my team dinner a truly memorable one. Can't wait to be back!

Reviewed 1 March 2012

Both the food and service here are truly excellent. The wine list is extensive with several selections in the $28-32 range. In addition to bread, olives in oil and bruschetta are served free before the appetizer. We recommend Tegamino Di Scamorza Di Bufala (baked smoked buffalo scamorza cheese topped with sliced speck and black truffle oil) and Capesante Ai Funghi Misti (pan seared scallops with sauteed wild mushrooms and aromatic orange oil) as appetizers. For main courses try Cappellini Frutti Di Mare E Arugula (angel hair pasta with mussels, calamari, shrimp and julienne of baby arugula in a light spicy tomato sauce), Fagattino Alla Polpa Di Aragosta (homemade crepes filled with a confit of fresh lobster, oven baked and served with a tomato and chive velute sauce) or Filetto Di Manzo Al Tartufo (pan roasted filet mignon with a creamy white truffle sauce and caramelized onions topped with shaved parmesan).

Reviewed 28 February 2012

In my opinion, the service is like trattorias in Rome. I think could be better.
Dishes are very well made, with lots of flavor and aroma.
The atmosphere is good and quiet place and very central location of many restaurants in the area.
the prices are fair. You can check the restaurant's website.
I recommend a business meal at noon, Monday through Friday.
In conclusion, it is highly recommended. Especially for lovers of Italian food and atmosphere similar.