“Not a hotel”

Hotel Alexander
new york
“Not a hotel”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I emailed the apparently part-time manager of the hotel for a rate, (the front desk does not know the rates and can't book rooms) after he sent us prices, I replied that I wanted to book. When I went to check in there was availbility but because the manager didn't enter us into the computer we couldn't check-in. Tracked down the manager, (only there until noon) he still would not let us take a room. It was like trying to book a room in a communist era hotel. This is an extended stay residence. They don't want you unless you are booking for 1 month or longer.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank raphael b
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 March 2012

This is my second time at this hotel and I would repeat it. The rooms have everything you need for a nice comfortable stay. It is just one block away from the subway station, several restaurants, good gym and different stores and very close to a yoga center. The neighborhood is so nice and you also have the beautiful Riverside Park one block away. The staff is nice and helpful.
First time I stayed here for 5 weeks and everything went well. You should come and try this very nice place to stay. Ana

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ana G
Manhattan, New York, United States
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Sorry for mistakes, I'm not American, but I know what I'm talking about because I lived 5 moths here.
This expensive Hotel promotes wi-fi, but is that slow that it's like don't have it, most of the time it doesn't even work.
I had problems even with the heating that wasn't working. When after some days they fixed the heating, they didn't want to turn it on because outside was 50 degrees (to me it's cold and there was a terrible wind that was entering from the windows that don't close very well).
If you ask for clean towels they tell you that in the contract they are supposed to give them to you no more than once per week.
If you have problems with something they don't help you.
The lights of my room, used to work some day yes some day not.
I saw 3 times cockroaches and they didn't want to send somebody to do something, but the just gave me a spray.
The elevator is terribly slow and once stuck at the second floor for about 3 minutes (I was so scared!), but luckily it started again.
Useless say that when I told them, they didn't even pay attention.
Last thing, but not less important, after the first month sleeping there, me and my husband started having strong back pain (the mattress is horrible!).
The ONLY positive thing is that is pretty close to the subway and that is not really dirty.

So if you are planning to stay here, I strongly suggest you to change plans!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Beatrice P

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Moved to New York and had problems finding an apartment and then had to wait for my apartment to become available. I stayed here for a month and a half, only complaint is that the rooms were a little small, but what isn’t in New York. Great value, staff were friendly, but not overbearing. Had an issue with my air conditioner and it was replaced within a couple hours. Area is great too: close to the 2-3 express train and Central Park. Lots of grocery shopping close by too. Would definitely recommend for anyone who needs a short term place to stay when moving to NYC.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Megan L
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Me and my girlfriend travelled to New York in December 2010. When we first arrived check in was quick and easy and only took a few minutes. we were given a room on the 6th floor which was basic but was perfect for us as we weren't planning on spending much time in it anyway! We were apprehensive about sharing a bathroom with other people as this was the first time we have ever done this. But to be honest it was no problem at all as the bathroom was always free and was right next to our room. So i wouldn't advise paying the extra for your own bathroom. The lift in the hotel was quite slow but thats just a minor rather picky observation. The hotel staff were also very friendly and helpful, we asked for advice a couple times about where to get off the subway and stuff, and they always went out of their way to explain everything to us. Also their was always someone on the reception 24 hours a day. Also they were quick to respond when we asked for clean towels, they were brought up really quickly. There was also internet available in the lounge area,you paid 1 Dollar and got 10 minutes which i thought was reasonable. The hotel was also in an ideal location for jumping on and off the subway as it was a two minute walk to the station. So overall i would definitely recommend this hotel to people looking to visit New York on a budget!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple