Seafarers & International House
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
Hotel 17(New York City)
Very Good 4/5
Gramercy Park Hotel(New York City)
Average 3/5
    St. Marks Hotel(New York City)
    Good 3.5/5
    Larchmont Hotel(New York City)
    • Breakfast included
    • Room Service
    Average 3/5
    All reviewsunion squareprivate bathshared bathroomsingle bedwhole foodsrooms are basicoccupancy taxirving placesmall flat screengreat locationnew yorkeast villagetoilet and showerfellow guestsper nighthave stayed here many timesdesk and chair
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 16 February 2018

We once again stayed at Seafarer's & International House, making this our 6th stay, thus we consider ourselves experts. I will preface this review by saying that because we continue to stay at this facility, "it can't be that bad."

First, there is good and bad at any facility. The nightly cost of Seafarer's & International House was at one time, a great deal. However, of course, prices rise with the times and with inflation. That said, we personally feel that their rates for one night at either $150 or $160 for room with a bath are higher than they should be for what they're offering. That said, here are some details:

For the most part, the location is ideal, and the reason why we continue to return. Just one block off popular Union Square is a great place to be situated with the Metro, restaurants, and shopping at your fingertips. Pretty much everything else is walkable (could be blocks), unless you have a particular site in mind.

Seafarers & International House is a multi-level facility, quite old and tired, with the exception of the lobby and reception area, which is somewhat updated. The rooms have either one twin bed (and a fold-up "cot" available), or two twin beds. The fold-up "cots" are quite uncomfortable, but if you can sleep anywhere, the second person (or kids) may tolerate it. You pay more ($160) for a room with a private bath which is quite spartan. Otherwise, you share a once-you're-in-there-private bath/toilet/shower which are just across from your room. Not the cleanest I've seen, not the dirtiest. The rooms without a bath do have a very small sink.

We choose to remove our bed cover and use only the sheets and blanket for cleanliness. The linens, at least the sheets and blankets are clean. We bring our own pillowcases, however. The floor has old, tired indoor-outdoor-type carpeting.

There is an old wooden desk and chair and a small television in each room. There is a wall rack to hang your clothing and a dresser. Our room (we had a private bath) had a wooden dresser. The rooms we have stayed in all had a window to the noisy busy streets below. There is an air-conditioner/heater in each room. I believe one of our rooms had a small refrigerator.

Housekeeping service is available only certain days of the week, so for those who stay more than one night, be aware that your linens will not be changed/refreshed daily. For those rooms with a private bath, there are tiny bars of soap in your old medicine cabinet. The soap does not "soap-up", so we suggest you bring your own soap. Towels are provided. When your neighboring room guest comes and goes, the door slam loudly.

There is a washer and dryer in the basement where there are also a couple vending machines for drinks and snacks. Very inconveniently located in the basement is the ice machine, so you have to venture far to get ice.

There are two computers available on the Mezzanine floor, just one level up and overlooking the front desk and lobby. Many times one computer isn't working properly and the front desk is not at all helpful in getting them operational. There are easy chairs and a couple tables where you may relax or work.

We've said this before and we will say this again...the front desk staff is somewhat helpful with your needs/questions, depending upon who is at the desk at the time. These are the same employees who have worked here for most of the years we have been staying at Seafarers & International House. We have become quite opinionated regarding the employees at this facility, due to experience. We feel that if this is a Christian-operated facility, the employees should conduct themselves in a manner consistent with friendly, good and helpful values. There are employees who certainly can manifest indifference...the "of course" attitude, who don't seem to be friendly or have your best interest at heart. At times they may be intimidating in their manner, and somewhat condescending in their attitude. This is New York City, not your friendly neighborhood country inn. Over the years, we have found this to be consistent, yet we feel the price we pay is worth the indifference. We tend to ignore them and go about our business, hoping someday they will be replaced with a friendly face.

To sum it up, you don't spend much time in your room when you visit New York City. You have to weigh the cost vs. location convenience. If Seafarer's keeps raising their room costs without at least a few updates and employee-training, this may very well have been our last stay.

Room Tip: Ask for their quietest room (you will always hear street noise).
    • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
    3  Thank IAmEve7
    mdrege, General Manager at Seafarers & International House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

Good Afternoon IAmEve7,

Thank you for choosing Seafarers International House for your most recent stay in New York City. We appreciate all the feedback as it helps me and my team to improve.

We have been in a process of renovating our floors in the rooms and hallways. Our rooms have all fresh new laminate and the hallways have brand new carpeting. We are redecorating our room with new furniture, lighting fixtures, and a new style of how to make it a more modernized room and of course, a fresh coat of paint.

In regards to the staff, we apologize that you feel this way. I will go back to my Front Desk Manager with these notes on the needs to improve our hospitality. We do our best to make sure your stay is as comfortable as possible and I hope that the next time you stay with us, you come to visit me so we can than discuss your "7th" stay here and how things are going. Please feel free to email me directly at lmietlowski@sihnyc.org to discuss what we can do to make sure we fit all your needs.

Grace and Peace,

Lucas Mietlowski
    Director of Operations
    Seafarers International House

Reviewed 4 February 2018

After trying for years to get into this classic bargain to give it a tryout, finally succeeded -- with about six months lead time for a week I was certain I'd be in NYC. It's not the drop-dead bargain it used to be, but at about $170/night for 2-bed room with private bath, it still is in relative-steal territory. When reception saw I would be there a week (with my partner joining for a few nights), he said I needed one of the bigger corner rooms. Who was I to disagree? So there was a view west to Union Square Park and south down Irving Place to 14th St. There was lotsa light and the usual city noise, but that's why I travel with ear plugs and an eyeshade. I grabbed some drinks and snacks while out and about, but there's a Trader Joe's a block away and loads of coffee and fast/casual nearby plus real restaurants (of all descriptions and prices) abounding. Loads of public transport options but I used Uber almost exclusively -- and the couple of cramped cab rides with dopey drivers reminded me why. Room and bathroom were clean, and everything that was supposed to work did. Desk and mirror were handy but lounge chair was sort of wedged in under the wall-mounted TV (which got more than enough channels) in a crowded corner. While I'm normally a Times Sq-Lincoln Center kind of guy, did a couple of nights of theater downtown, for which Seafarers is very handy. It's basic, but if my lead-time and their availability aligned again, I'd consider giving it another whirl.

Room Tip: Try to be as far from elevator as possible.
    • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
    3  Thank cchdc
    mdrege, other at Seafarers & International House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2018

Thanks for your helpful review of our facility as well as our surrounding area. We are indeed blessed by our location. We hope you'll come back again.

Reviewed 31 December 2017

This was the worst night in NY. Very, very dirty with hairs founded on the bed linen, pubic hair in the bathroom. Its an old place, but if you add there are nothing of what you usually expect from an hotel (phon, soaps, informations in the room, etc) then you can understand why i recommend to go somewhere else.
    Also, just to know, keep in mind this is a religious hotel part of a religious institution, and your stay will support their goals.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
    mdrege, Manager at Seafarers & International House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

Good Afternoon D P,

Thank you for staying at Seafarers International House. We strive to make all our guests stay as good as possible. Thank you for your feedback on your stay as we wish to address any thoughts you might have. All our rooms are supplied with Shampoo, Soap, a brochure of who we are as well as fresh linen and towels which are sent out for cleaning daily. We are sorry to hear that the shared bathroom was not up to par in cleaning and I will address my housekeeping manager to go over your concern. Please feel free to contact me directly so I could learn more about your experience at our guest house to ensure that the best service could be provided.

Grace and Peace,

Lucas Mietlowski
    Director Of Operations
    Seafarers International House

Reviewed 22 October 2017

I paid $140 for a weekend night (two twin beds with private bath) and I thought it was a really good value. I was in the room for about 12 hours so there was no need to spend more money. The downtown location is great (steps from Union Square Park). The rooms have older furnishings, no frills, but are clean. I would definitely stay there again.

If you want newer decor then pay more to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: I had a private bath but I saw the shared ones in the hallway and they were very clean.
    • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
    Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of nights while sightseeing in NYC. There was quite a lot of building work going on and therefore no hot water for much of the day. Rooms were small with a shared bathroom that was due a facelift. I left some belongings / clothing behind in a drawer which mysteriously vanished without a trace despite me phoning the hotel every day for a week. I wouldn’t stay here again.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo