All reviews union square private bath shared bathroom single bed whole foods rooms are basic irving place great location walking distance to subway new york east village toilet and shower per night small refrigerator desk and chair ice machine ground floor
Reviewed 4 February 2018

After trying for years to get into this classic bargain to give it a tryout, finally succeeded -- with about six months lead time for a week I was certain I'd be in NYC. It's not the drop-dead bargain it used to be, but at about $170/night for 2-bed room with private bath, it still is in relative-steal territory. When reception saw I would be there a week (with my partner joining for a few nights), he said I needed one of the bigger corner rooms. Who was I to disagree? So there was a view west to Union Square Park and south down Irving Place to 14th St. There was lotsa light and the usual city noise, but that's why I travel with ear plugs and an eyeshade. I grabbed some drinks and snacks while out and about, but there's a Trader Joe's a block away and loads of coffee and fast/casual nearby plus real restaurants (of all descriptions and prices) abounding. Loads of public transport options but I used Uber almost exclusively -- and the couple of cramped cab rides with dopey drivers reminded me why. Room and bathroom were clean, and everything that was supposed to work did. Desk and mirror were handy but lounge chair was sort of wedged in under the wall-mounted TV (which got more than enough channels) in a crowded corner. While I'm normally a Times Sq-Lincoln Center kind of guy, did a couple of nights of theater downtown, for which Seafarers is very handy. It's basic, but if my lead-time and their availability aligned again, I'd consider giving it another whirl.

Room Tip: Try to be as far from elevator as possible.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank cchdc
mdrege, other at Seafarers & International House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2018

Thanks for your helpful review of our facility as well as our surrounding area. We are indeed blessed by our location. We hope you'll come back again.

Reviewed 31 December 2017

This was the worst night in NY. Very, very dirty with hairs founded on the bed linen, pubic hair in the bathroom. Its an old place, but if you add there are nothing of what you usually expect from an hotel (phon, soaps, informations in the room, etc) then you can understand why i recommend to go somewhere else.
Also, just to know, keep in mind this is a religious hotel part of a religious institution, and your stay will support their goals.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
mdrege, Manager at Seafarers & International House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

Good Afternoon D P,

Thank you for staying at Seafarers International House. We strive to make all our guests stay as good as possible. Thank you for your feedback on your stay as we wish to address any thoughts you might have. All our rooms are supplied with Shampoo, Soap, a brochure of who we are as well as fresh linen and towels which are sent out for cleaning daily. We are sorry to hear that the shared bathroom was not up to par in cleaning and I will address my housekeeping manager to go over your concern. Please feel free to contact me directly so I could learn more about your experience at our guest house to ensure that the best service could be provided.

Grace and Peace,

Lucas Mietlowski
Director Of Operations
Seafarers International House

Reviewed 22 October 2017

I paid $140 for a weekend night (two twin beds with private bath) and I thought it was a really good value. I was in the room for about 12 hours so there was no need to spend more money. The downtown location is great (steps from Union Square Park). The rooms have older furnishings, no frills, but are clean. I would definitely stay there again.

If you want newer decor then pay more to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: I had a private bath but I saw the shared ones in the hallway and they were very clean.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank drapp4
Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of nights while sightseeing in NYC. There was quite a lot of building work going on and therefore no hot water for much of the day. Rooms were small with a shared bathroom that was due a facelift. I left some belongings / clothing behind in a drawer which mysteriously vanished without a trace despite me phoning the hotel every day for a week. I wouldn’t stay here again.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Crazyladybird
Reviewed 20 October 2017

$100/nt for single bed with shower around the corner and toilet acros the hall.

great location not great repair with stains and cracks. CLEAN though sinks, toilets and showers shined.

Reasonably quiet. I wouldn't take a date, $100 in Manhattan only buys so much.

I might stay there again.

Room Tip: bring shower shoes and wrap for shared facilities
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo