All reviews union square private bath shared bathroom single bed irving place great location walking distance to subway new york east village toilet and shower per night small refrigerator desk and chair ice machine ground floor a great place to stay tea and coffee
Reviewed 10 June 2009

This place is 100 percent of what I wanted and needed -- a quiet, safe, well-located place to sleep while enjoying Manhattan.
I usually stay at 4 and 5 star places or exclusive apartments, so the idea of shared bath and shower frightened me back to the days of college dorms and dirty facilities.
Not the case here. The single seater shared toilet was cleaner than my bathroom at home. The single shower (much better than a locker room set up with multiple showers) had endless warm water and again, was clearner than my own one at home.
The room was tiny, but quiet. The location is perfect -- a block from Union Square, with its subway link to the rest of NYC and its great shopping, restaurants, etc. all around.
The staff is super low key, but helpful. On a super tight budget, I wanted to stay one night, then stow my bag the next 18 hours to catch an early morning flight...ie, party for a day without paying for a room.
I had much trepidation about leaving my stuff there. But the folks locked it up in a room -- better service and more secure than I've had at Hiltons that toss your bags on a pile where anyone could steal them. After 10 p.m., you show your room key to get buzzed in -- making it safer than a chain hotel where anybody could sneak into the elevator and roam the hallways.
The staff even let me get my boarding pass faxed to their office (when the printer wasn't working from the free internet computer in the lobby).
I could go on and on. Of course there's no pool, restaurant,etc.....you are paying only for a clean place to rest, sleep, shower, secure your stuff... while you play in Manhattan and pay a room rate equal or below the price of a roundtrip cab ride from/to LaGuardia. Amazing. If I hit the lotto, I'm going to donate some money to these folks to help their cause.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank LittleHavanaGringo
Reviewed 14 April 2009

Without a doubt the best thing going for this hotel is the location. It was by far the cheapest budget accommodation I could find in Manhatten that didn't have mice, bedbugs or cockroaches! It's in the heart of Manhatten, just off Union Square and a stones throw from 14th Street subway station. There is a small reception area with tea/coffee making facilities for a small price. There is also a PC with internet access and a printer that can be used to print boarding passes only. Reception staff were not exactly chatty but then were rarely spent anytime in the reception area so maybe it was more us than them. Behind the reception is the chapel where guest can join the services if they wish. We went for Sunday morning service which was lovely. There is also a small library/lounge on the first floor which has a large TV and another PC. There are 2 lifts that service all floors. Each floor has 10 rooms (5 to the left & 5 to the right of the lifts). There were 2 small shower rooms and 2 small seperate WC's per floor, again 1 each to the left and 1 each to the right of the lifts. Both were very basic, hostel like, but okay. It would have been nice to have mirrors in the bathrooms. No once during my 6 day stay did I have to wait to use either the WC or shower room. Bedrooms also have hand basins which helps. Bedrooms have a/c although we didn't have to use ours in March. Bedrooms were spacious, clean and perfecty adequate. No fridge in the rooms but they did have TV's although not much worth watching, but then who goes to New York to watch TV?!? In the basement is a small laundry room and a small room with a few dining tables and a couple of vending machines, 1 for cold drinks and 1 for snacks. There is also an ice machine just around the corner. The basement did have a damp smell to it though. There is no breakfast but the excellent Gramercy Diner a few blocks away offers very good, reasonably priced food. I would also recommend Shades of Green, the Irish bar next door, for a few nightcaps before returning to the hotel. I think we staggered out at about 5.30am on our last night! I would definitely recommend Seafarers for a budget central stay and would stay there again if visiting New York again.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
14  Thank GeordieJanice
Reviewed 25 February 2009

The location was perfectly located in the city with the subway only a little over a block away. With two supermarkets within two blocks it was easy to grab a midnight snack or sodas and talk to the locals. For those of you who like a night cap, There's a sports bar catty corner but with the windows closed you would never know it was there. We spent our mornings at a diner that was 2 blocks away, walked our [-] off seeing the sights and splurged on dinner. The station at Union Square (one block away) goes everywhere and it didn't matter where cuz it was always about 10 minutes. The staff was polite and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wanderingwen
Reviewed 3 January 2009

As first time travellers to the USA, we were looking for a place to stay which had good transport links, good reviews and reasonably priced and this had it all. The staff were great, the rooms were clean and the location was perfect. There were several bars and restaraunts very close, which we tried and found to be very good. I would definately return.

Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank johnnysdad
Reviewed 3 December 2008

This place is all about value, location and convenience. If you're looking for luxury and pampering, go somewhere else. We weren't - we just wanted a safe, comfortable and well located place and this ticks all the boxes.

The guesthouse it really easy to get to. It's right next to Union Square, about 50 yards from one of the best connected Subway stations in the City - 14th St - Union Square. We never needed more than 2 trains to get back to the hotel from anywhere, and most of the time it was only one. There's a supermarket (The Food Emporium) right near the place too (even closer than the station!). The Union Square area itself is fantasic. Loads of great shops and eateries - plus a cinema. For shopping I recommend Filene's Basement - loads of bargains on designer names there!

There are rooms with shared shower facilities available, but we went for the private bathroom option and were impressed. The shower had good pressure and there was always hot water. The bathroom was pretty clean - no real problems there. Fresh towels were provided on 4 of the 7 days. They don't service your room on weekends - plus we were there for thanksgiving too so the cleaners were off then too. As we were expecting this (it's made clear in the pre-arrival info) it was no problem. When the room was serviced, it was done well.

It was a twin room rather than a double. Beds were plenty big enough although a little hard. Perfectly comfortable though. There were a couple of chairs, a desk, chest of drawers and a small fridge! Not a mini-bar, but an actual fridge which could be turned on and used free of charge. We didn't use this, but I thought it was a helpful option. There was a flatscreen tv on the wall which had cable. The room was everything we needed it to be - a place to rest our heads in quiet comfort after long hard days of pounding the streets and exploring NYC for all it's worth!

Reception staff were helpful and efficient throughout. The room itself was simple, clean and safe. There is an air conditioning system which can't be switched off as it serves the whole guesthouse - this makes a bit of a humming noise which if you're a light sleeper may annoy. However, this is switched off between 11pm and 6.30am. After the first day, we were so shattered that we could have slept with a pneumatic drill going off under the bed, and so we were able to ignore the humming and sleep even when the system was on.

In terms of other facilities, there are two pc's with internet (one in the lobby, one on the mezzanine overlooking the lobby) which are free of charge for guests. They recommend that you use them for no longer than 20mins at a time if there are others waiting, but a lot of the time I sat and used them for longer as there was no-one else around.
There is tea and coffee always available in the lobby - 25c a cup. In the basement there are food and drinks vending machines and an ice machine. I have to say though, the basement is pretty dingy and a little unnerving alone! Not a place you'd want to spend a lot of time!
There is a small chapel and library full of Lutheran literature. Obviously the place is run by the church and there are various ministers who have offices there. But the religious stuff is never pressed upon you. The facilities are there for you to use if you wish, but it's your call. No pressure is put on you and there's no brainwashing!

There's a common room area on the 2nd floor which we didn't use but it looked to be just a few chairs and tables and a kitchen which was locked. They were providing a free thanksgiving meal there on the Monday but we didn't join in.

There are 2 lifts - but these are unbelievably slow!! Again, the staff are well aware of this and there's a lovely little notice in each one suggestion ways you could pass the time while in the lift!

Overall then, this place was everything I expected it to be. Compared to other NYC accommodation, it's very well priced, very well run and is in a perfect location where you can get to anywhere easily! It's not perfect, but four our purposes it was great.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank thela1