All reviews union square private bath shared bathroom single bed whole foods rooms are basic irving place great location walking distance to subway new york east village toilet and shower per night small refrigerator desk and chair ice machine ground floor
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I stayed here February 2012 on an international school trip with 12 of my students and another teacher.

Firstly communication between myself and the hotel was great, and they never seemed to tire of my endless questions. Obviously, being responsible for 12 students overseas, I wanted to make sure that the hotel was secure and suitable to accomodate our needs; and we were not disappointed.

This is not a high-end boutique hotel with the usual expected amenites, but this is reflected in the price. And although the hotel is a little dated in decor, it's clean, comfortable and homely. I had a single room with a shared bath, and the room had a tv, plenty of drawer space, a rail with hangers, a desk and a sink in the room the bed was really comfy and the sheets were clean. The shower was just opposite and always had hot water and the water pressure was good. The shower could benefit from having more shelf room to put your toiletries on, but there are hooks on the back of the door to hang your things. The toilet was next to the shower room, and due to it being shared, i did find that other guests were not as considerate and therefore thought it was perfectly fine to pee all over the seat and someone else would clean it up. For this reason, i would recommend getting a private bath - but we were on a tight budget.

Some of our students shared a room and had a cot/fold-out bed to sleep on, which they said was fine but kind of sank in the middle, but hey they're teenagers, they can manage to sleep anywhere!

There's also a mezzanine level where there's a big tv and 2 computers with internet access. There's also a huge table area, which was ideal for us to have breakfast (hotel doesn't provide, but you can use the area to eat your own) and later the students would sit and fill out their workbooks and reflection journals.

In the lobby is a hot water tap - perfect for porridge/oatmeal - and there's tea and coffee available for 25 cents a cup - Bargain!

The location is just perfect, a block from Union Square subway, and there's a local supermarket/store half a block away for breakfast items. There's a good pizza place a block away called Amore Pizza - i think, and a good Tex-Mex place on the corner. Both are really cheap, but good quality.

Everyone we met at the hotel was really friendly, and really added to the whole experience for the students. All in all, we had an amazing time and we are hoping to use the hotel again next year. This was my third time in New York, and i can safely say that even if i make a personal trip, rather than a school trip, i would definitely use the Seafarers, but i would just pay the extra and get a private bath.

Thanks so much Seafarers - you were great!

Room Tip: Get a private bath room - i think you get a fridge in those rooms too
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
11  Thank Basics100
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Located 1 block from Union Square surrounded by shops, restaurants and night clubs. The room is clean and simple. The best hotel value in New York City. Free Internet in the lobby and common lounge area. I stay here every time I goto New York City.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Fred H
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Room price is super cheap compared to the rest of hotels in Manhattan, reason why this place was chosen for our one-week stay. I made reservation for a double-shared bathroom, but we got instead a single bed and a folding bed on the corner of the room (can you say uncomfortable sleep?). Room was very basic but clean, the toilets and shower were clean as well. (WEAR FLIP-FLOPS IN THE SHOWER, saw tiny bugs coming out from the wall close to the floor when it got wet in one of the two shared showers). The hotel has seen better days (as the elevator, it takes forever to move), but all in all, the price and location make it a great option for people who only want a place to sleep and nothing more. There's a pub beside it, and Union Square and a few subway stations are just steps away.

Must add that they have computers with internet as an amenity on the second level of the lobby, and that they can keep your luggage stored in a small room after check-out time.

Oh, and Esther who was behind the desk was really nice. You can feel free to ask her anything.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Laralalaaa
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We realize that getting a hotel for $100/night in Manhattan is phenomenal, but sometimes you get what you pay for. We both grew up in NY & we've read the glowing reviews of Seafarer's here on Trip Advisor, so we booked one week here. Granted, we perhaps waited too long to make the reservation because we were told we got the last available room, even though we book nearly a year in advance.

The location can't be beat, but I wish we could say the same about the hotel.

The room is clean, but barely big enought o turn around. There is one very small single bed & a fold-up cot that had to be the least comfortable bed on the planet. When the cot was open, it was an exercisein agility to move around the room. To make matters worse, we were on a n extend trip & were getting ready to move to France, so we had a fair amount of luggage with us which took up all the available space. Granted, we were actually given a single room, not a double, so the size would probably been OK for one person.

We had a room with shared bath, which didn't turn out to be so bad as we rarely had to wait for either the toilet or shower. Everything was clean, even though maid service was not every day.

It was handy to have a washer/dryer in the basement so we could have clean clothes for our arrival in France.

I don't think I would stay here again in the future. Maybe if I had a larger room with private bath I would consider it, but by the end of the week we were glad to leave the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Ortelius
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Our room was clean and simple and larger than many of the more expensive hotels. We also hd a small refrigerator. The staff was friendly and the amenities such as computer and internet access and library lounge were warm, available and free. The location is fantastic - just steps from Union square and the East village and the price was affordable. I will stay here again on our next visit.

Room Tip: Rooms with bathrooms are not that much more expensive and worth it I think. Our room which was south facing was quiet. Our room had a small fridge - worth requesting when booking
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family