All reviews union square private bath shared bathroom single bed whole foods rooms are basic irving place great location walking distance to subway new york east village toilet and shower per night small refrigerator desk and chair ice machine ground floor
Reviewed 24 July 2011

The room was comfortable and just enough space. The basic amenities were more than adequate. Would be nice to have a small mini fridge in the room if budget allows the hotel to acquire, so that longer stay guests can keep some foodstuff, The room was a little musty - so maybe a spray of fragrance once in a while would help. The shared bathroom and toilet was excellent - always clean - maybe my fellow guests on my floor were cooperative. Reception was friendly. Location is great - the green line on the subway just outside the door gets you to the "important" spots for a visitor.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank MeiYin
Reviewed 22 May 2011

* excellent service for value, could be better with internet access in rooms
* room is clean, strict and comfortable, shared baths are clean and easy to access
* location can't be better
* I loved the 24H free access for coffee and decaf at 1/4$, Esther which is friendly and efficient. Thank you

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank 3edegre
Reviewed 27 January 2011

I know this place has a mission, so I feel bad about giving it a lousy review, but as a hotel this place is not so good. The price is low, so I suppose I should not expect so much, but it just feels like it needs a good thorough cleaning. Everything is a bit dingy and grimy. Most of the rooms have to use one of the shared toilets or showers -- slow drains in shower = yuck!
When we checked in several members of our group including myself found that our rooms had not been cleaned from the previous guests. Even worse, several had to sleep in their winter coats because the rooms were so cold. Yes, it was unseasonably cold for New York that night, but the breeze coming in through the air conditioning unit was like having the window wide open.

• Stayed: January 2011
4  Thank bnmnetp
mdrege, Manager at Seafarers & International House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2011

I believe this guest stayed at our place during an uncharacteristic "perfect storm" of literally a snow storm in January where that storm and the fact that some of our housekeepers were unable to get into the guesthouse to clean rooms made it an unusual situation. We have now instituted a policy where our housekeepers stay overnight in the guesthouse when an approaching storm is predicted so that there is no lapse in housekeeping.

Reviewed 25 January 2011

The location is great, one block from Union Square. Supermarkets etc. are all around. I booked a single room, which came with a single bed, a sink, desk, TV and closet. Toilet and shower room was just opposite. My room was located on the 11th floor with a nice view.
Staff at the reception and cleaning maids are really unfriendly, nit helpful and rude. They just do their job. I expected something different in a house like that. But anyway. No one is bothering you, you come and go.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank GaryMuc
Reviewed 15 January 2011

Stayed here for one week during Christmas time. It was the second stay here for us. Best is Location: A short walk to Union Square with easy access to the subway. Union Square is also nice: There is a small market and a nice surrounding with a lot of shops. SoHo is also easy to reach via Broadway within a 15 Min. walk.

Rooms are basic: bed, two chairs, table and a small TV. That is ok but housekeeping was dissapointing: During the whole stay, the shower wasn´t cleaned. Another day only one bed (there were two single beds) was made up! There was also a draft caused by the thin windows.

Overall: Accomodation is basic - but ok for NYC.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple