“5 days in New York City”

Sugar Hill Harlem Inn
Ranked #34 of 75 New York City B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
“5 days in New York City”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

After a month long trip to Europe, my wife and I wanted to spend 5 days in NYC before traveling home to Colorado. As so often, the key to a great travel experience is your lodging. And with Sugar Hill we really felt we won the lottery. The location is very charming , historic and old-elegant. The brownstone was very tastefully decorated and, most appropriately, had a classic Jazz theme. The beds and bathroom are immaculately cleaned and up to date./The owner Jeremy is a fount of knowledge regarding local Harlem eateries. If you are interested in biking NYC, Jeremy has bikes availabe. Access to public transportation is very convenient.
The only disappointment was with the breakfast which is rather limited.

Room Tip: From Laguardia take the 60M bus then change to the 100M bus at Amsterdam, get out at 141 St. then wa...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rumdoodle2
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Three of us stayed for a week in the renaissance suite. Plenty of room, very comfortable, with great breakfasts. We were worried about Harlem - but worries went after our first walk in the area. It's on the edges of Harlem: neighbours were ethnically diverse. All were welcoming and it all felt very safe.
Had to use the subway a lot to get around NY - but it's very cheap and would have done that wherever we'd stayed.
The main problem being that Harlem is not the sort of area to have a wealth of bars and restaurants to walk to. But, it was a great place to come back to.
The building is beautiful and it's full of interesting mementos. The service is personal - unlike the standard but impersonal courtesies you'd expect in a good hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DavidMRea27
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

My husband & I needed a place to stay during a 36-hour date for our anniversary. A friend recommended Sugar Hill for its price & uniqueness - we loved it! Super comfy bed, pithy and sometimes hilarious commentaries on a range of topics were printed, laminated, and displayed around our room & the breakfast table. Also, we stayed in the Josephine Baker room, which was the largest hotel room I've ever had in NYC (it was bigger than my sister's college apartment in Chelsea!)

We made our reservation on line & had no problems with the service - we found Jeremy to be delightful and helpful.

Room Tip: The Josephine Baker room was huge & even had a kitchen - not too much more expensive than the ot...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dean B
Athens, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

The Inn is lovely and reasonably priced for New York, BUT if you want your reservation to be honored, do not book here. Jeremy, the owner, is arrogant and totally unprofessional. We visit New York every Memorial Day weekend for my granddaughter's birthday and have stayed (or tried to) at Sugar Hill every year since my daughter and family moved into the neighborhood. I always book well in advance since Memorial Day can be busy. Two years ago, I received an email about a week before we were to arrive saying that they'd had a flood and we'd have to look else where. The place Jeremy recommended was a rat hole, to put it kindly; it didn't even have locks on the doors, and we ended up staying in my daughter's small apartment with all the other visitors. What was the poor guy to do though, with a flood and all. The next year we were given, not the room we had reserved well in advance, a quiet, back room, but a front room that had a lot more street noise. At least we had a room though, and I didn't complain. This year I booked in March. Just today (April 24)I got an email saying that Jeremy was sorry but that he'd made an error and didn't have a room after all. A month after a confirmation. When I called, he was totally unconcerned saying I shouldn't be upset since there are thousands of rooms in New York. Now I think the flood was fabricated. Yes, there are plenty of rooms in New York, so if you want to be assured of one, DO NOT book here.

Room Tip: Don't bother, you probably won't get the room you reserved; you may not get a room at all.
Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Zelda19
San Ramon, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

I took my granddaughter to New york to see colleges and we stayed three days at sugar Hill. Our host was helpful and all his suggestions were great. My 17 year old granddaughter and I walked all over the area and never felt uncomfortable. Went to the Convent Baptist church for Easter service and though we are neither Baptist or African American we again felt welcomed. Enjoyed dinner and jazz at a local restaurant. Room was lovely (Lena's room) and neighborhood was much quieter and prettier than our down town experience.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family