Candy Hill Harlem
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 371
US$ 343
  • Room Service
Room Mate Grace(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 215
US$ 195
US$ 347
SmithHotels.com
  • Restaurant
Hilton Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 257
US$ 218
US$ 216
  • Restaurant
Millennium Hilton New York Downtown(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 263
US$ 226
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 313
US$ 232
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Lotte New York Palace(New York City)
US$ 617
  • Bar/Lounge
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 296
US$ 112
  • Breakfast included
Salisbury Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 168
US$ 161
Travelocity
All reviewsb bjosephine bakernew yorkfive minute walktop floorhome away from homea king size bedclose proximitybrownstonesubwayjazzlinesbroadway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Three of us stayed for a week in the renaissance suite. Plenty of room, very comfortable, with great breakfasts. We were worried about Harlem - but worries went after our first walk in the area. It's on the edges of Harlem: neighbours were ethnically diverse. All were welcoming and it all felt very safe.
Had to use the subway a lot to get around NY - but it's very cheap and would have done that wherever we'd stayed.
The main problem being that Harlem is not the sort of area to have a wealth of bars and restaurants to walk to. But, it was a great place to come back to.
The building is beautiful and it's full of interesting mementos. The service is personal - unlike the standard but impersonal courtesies you'd expect in a good hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank DavidMRea27
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My husband & I needed a place to stay during a 36-hour date for our anniversary. A friend recommended Sugar Hill for its price & uniqueness - we loved it! Super comfy bed, pithy and sometimes hilarious commentaries on a range of topics were printed, laminated, and displayed around our room & the breakfast table. Also, we stayed in the Josephine Baker room, which was the largest hotel room I've ever had in NYC (it was bigger than my sister's college apartment in Chelsea!)

We made our reservation on line & had no problems with the service - we found Jeremy to be delightful and helpful.

Room Tip: The Josephine Baker room was huge & even had a kitchen - not too much more expensive than the others - the king sized bed was worth it!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dean B
Reviewed 25 April 2012

The Inn is lovely and reasonably priced for New York, BUT if you want your reservation to be honored, do not book here. Jeremy, the owner, is arrogant and totally unprofessional. We visit New York every Memorial Day weekend for my granddaughter's birthday and have stayed (or tried to) at Sugar Hill every year since my daughter and family moved into the neighborhood. I always book well in advance since Memorial Day can be busy. Two years ago, I received an email about a week before we were to arrive saying that they'd had a flood and we'd have to look else where. The place Jeremy recommended was a rat hole, to put it kindly; it didn't even have locks on the doors, and we ended up staying in my daughter's small apartment with all the other visitors. What was the poor guy to do though, with a flood and all. The next year we were given, not the room we had reserved well in advance, a quiet, back room, but a front room that had a lot more street noise. At least we had a room though, and I didn't complain. This year I booked in March. Just today (April 24)I got an email saying that Jeremy was sorry but that he'd made an error and didn't have a room after all. A month after a confirmation. When I called, he was totally unconcerned saying I shouldn't be upset since there are thousands of rooms in New York. Now I think the flood was fabricated. Yes, there are plenty of rooms in New York, so if you want to be assured of one, DO NOT book here.

Room Tip: Don't bother, you probably won't get the room you reserved; you may not get a room at all.
Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Zelda19
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I took my granddaughter to New york to see colleges and we stayed three days at sugar Hill. Our host was helpful and all his suggestions were great. My 17 year old granddaughter and I walked all over the area and never felt uncomfortable. Went to the Convent Baptist church for Easter service and though we are neither Baptist or African American we again felt welcomed. Enjoyed dinner and jazz at a local restaurant. Room was lovely (Lena's room) and neighborhood was much quieter and prettier than our down town experience.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Judy M
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Harlem Inn is excellent! The best place we have stayed in NY. Comfortable, nice, big and clean rooms, bathroom, kitchen very well equipped. The host is very nice and helpful and has an interesting library for free use. He makes excellent breakfast. Sugar Hill is a very quiet and safe area, and nice people everywhere. We highly recommend this place and will surely stay here also next time in New York, many Norwegian friends of us have stayed here and they all love this place.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple