“Great Hotel - Great Location”

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
Ranked #198 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Pepperell, Massachusetts
“Great Hotel - Great Location”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Awesome hotel!! It is on 6th Ave almost across the street from Bryant Park. Some rooms have views of the Empire State Building. We got a Queen room with a pull out sofa. There were three of us. Two adults and a teen. The bed was very comfortable. The pull out sofa as not that comfortable but the second day we requested an additional comforter and doubled it up on top of the sofa mattress. It was fine after that. The room was not huge but fine for three, especially for the little amount of time we were actually all in the room which was mostly just to sleep. There was a nice flat screen TV. One evening when we returned from dinner the TV was not working. We called the front desk and within 5 minutes a very nice gentleman was at our door and ended up replacing the TV within about 15 minutes we were up and running again. There is free wireless and wired internet in the room. There was also complementary breakfast each morning. Eggs, bacon or sausage, waffle maker, toast, cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, juice, coffee and more. Plenty to eat!! There was also alot of room to get a seat even during the busiest time in the morning. In addition each room comes with a full frig, dishwasher and a microwave. Also stocked with plates, silverware, and utensils. Great if you want to hang in for an evening and relax. There was also a small bar on the third floor. We did not use but I think they had food you could order as well. There was a fitness center but never had time to check it out. There were also several computers in the breakfast area and a printer for guests to use if you did not bring one with you. We would definitely return to this hotel on our next visit.

2 Thank Michele T
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Dear grizgirl6:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel for TripAdvisor readers. The photo of the Empire State Building from your window looks great! I've never seen it lit just green.

I’m sorry to hear that you had trouble with your television and that the sofa bed wasn’t the most comfortable. However, I'm glad to hear we were able to replace the television without much downtime and that the additional blankets helped with the sofa. Unfortunately, a sofa bed never seems to match up to a large plush bed!

Overall, it sounds like you and your family had a very nice trip. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and that we were able to meet your travel needs. I hope you'll stay with us again soon.

Guest Relations Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Georgia
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I was here for four nights and have nothing but praise for this property. The property is just a short walk to many NYC attractions. There are plenty of restaurants in the area and subway stops are convenient to the hotel. The room is larger than many others I have stayed in while in Manhattan. I had two adjoining rooms (did not connect) on 16th floor. One for my niece and her friend and the other shared by my mother and me. There are few suites on each floor as the property is tall and narrow. Our window had a nice street view and even though we heard street noise it was not as noisy as some other places I have stayed in the city. I never heard other guests though there were other suites occupied on the floor. I also did not experience any problems with the elevators until Saturday morning and even then the rush was only at breakfast. Four elevators serve the hotel so we never had much of a wait except going downstairs Saturday when several elevators stopped but were too full to admit us. The hotel was fully occupied for the weekend. Tuesday through Friday we had no problerm getting to breakfast and finding a table. Our group of four did not always eat at the same time or together and we all had no problems. We also found the food choices to be very nice. It varied on the days we were here--scrambled eggs were always available, but sometimes turkey canadian bacon, sausage or bacon. Sometimes a scramble and other times breakfast potatoes. Almost always french toast and pancakes, and waffle batter to make your own waffle. Oatmeal in crockpots, wide variety of cereals. Fruits varied by day, but in addition to the ever present apples and bananas were cut melon and berries. There were all sorts of pastries: muffins, sweet breads, croissants. There were english muffins, wheat bread, bagels of various types, yogurt, etc. There were hot teas and coffees. I can't imagine what more could be ordered that could be served in this sort of setting. Things were restocked regularly and the attendants were helpful. Therer are many rooms for sitting and eating. One has to explore a bit to find them all. I almost always snagged a table with a window view. There are also paper plates and bowls etc for taking food to your room. I greatly appreciated this as I did not have to juggle food as I have had to do in some other properties.
The room itself had a fridge, microwave and dishwasher with coffeepot and all sorts of equipment--cutting board, knives and utensils plus plates and serving bowls, etc. Perfect for grabbing food at one of the great markets for in-room dining.
The flat screen Tv tilts for viewing in bed or from sofa or from dining table. The small bathroom has a single sink, tub with shower. The water pressure and temperature was good. good lighting in bathroom.
If I had to complain about anything it might be that with such a long stay another trash can or a bit larger waste basket would have been handy. Otherwise the room had everything needed including an in-room safe and multiple lamps and wifi capability--free!
The staff was friendly.
In the same block to the right when exiting the hotel is a Jim Horton/sThe Soup Man spot with delicious soups and sandwiches. They also serve doughnuts and frozen yogurt and ice cream. Across the street in the opposite direction is a PAX foods with lots of healthy choices. If you get in late you may find that Gabby O'Hara's, an Irish pub just a half block down 39th is open--table service is fast and I recommend the burgers! One night we were tired and it was very late and they appeared to be the closest food service spot that was open. Food is served on the 3rd floor bar but they close rather early. The bar remains open later and the fare is somewhat limited, but certainly adequate for a meal.
We had a lunch in Bryant Park on our first day--great spot for sunshine and people watching with good food from the 'wich vendor.
It was an easy walk South to the Macy's at Herald Square or North and West to Times Square even for my 76 year old mom.
I have stayed at the Fairfields and Courtyards in this same area and hands-down the Residence Inn is my favorite. I look forward to my next trip!

Room Tip: Choose higher room for less street noise and better chance of boarding elevator in busy times (weeke...
6 Thank BeingGreen
Dear BeingGreen:

Thank you for posting such a positive review of my hotel for potential visitors. It's nice to hear you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed much of what the area has to offer!

I will be sure to pass your suggestion for an additional or larger trash can along to the appropriate parties. It's a great suggestion and something we should consider.

Thank you again for taking the time to post such an informative review. I'm certain it will help your fellow travelers. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

FiveStateView
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Awesome. From start to finish. Excellent service, clean rooms, & an extremely helpful staff. Already planning our next trip! Thanks again for a great stay : )

Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear Ron L:

Thank you for sharing your experience at my hotel with TripAdvisor! It's so great to hear you had a nice time. Please be sure to let me know when that next trip you’re planning will be.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Great location very central.
Staff very friendly and helpful various times.
Breakfast buffet could be better: little basic food. Please improve.
Breakfast buffet tables too few for the strructure get kind of difficult to get a place in rush hours, but we could live with that.
Room with kitchen , refrigerator and all, very confortable

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear claudioita:

Thank you for sharing your review of my hotel with potential visitors. I'm sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy our complimentary breakfast buffet. We do try to have a variety of both hot and cold options so there can be something found for everyone. Overall, it sounds like you had a nice stay. I'm glad to hear you found our rooms comfortable and our staff friendly. I hope you'll stay with us again.

Minneapolis
Reviewed 23 April 2012

W. 39th St. and 6th Ave. wonderful location especially if you want to Broadway musicals. Go to TKTS at Times Square day of performance for half price tickets. Hotel has a wonderful breakfast buffet. Go early to avoid crowds, however, staff is right there replenishing food constantly. Great happy hour in the bar. Wonderful workout room. Rooms are spacious and having the microwave and refrig. is very handy. Front desk staff is very pleasant and accommodating. LOVE this hotel. Just down the street from Bryant Park and a block to 5th Avenue. Close to Central Park for a morning run. Wonderful NY pizza across the street, $1.00 for a cheese pizza slice. Will be back!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MKK10
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear MKK10:

Thank you for sharing your positive review of my hotel with potential visitors. It's so nice to hear that we met your travel needs and you enjoyed our location and the neighborhood!

Please be sure to let me know the next time you decide to visit with us.