“Bobby Flay does it Right”
Review of Bar Americain - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 6th and 7th Avenue
Transit: N/R and 1/9/F/D/B
Description: Bar Americain is an American Brasserie featuring regional American food created by Bobby Flay.
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Nice room (not too noisy) and attentive staff could describe many restaurants in NYC but there is no mistaking Bobby Flay's food. Start with potato chips and hot blue cheese dip. Most dishes have a "special" something that is indicative of what I call "Flay favor". The buttermilk chicken ( a Monday night special) was tender and crispy, other dish was the smoked chicken with spoon bread. The sides are excellent - creamed kale with shallots, Brussels sprouts with hazelnuts and the best biscuits I have ever eaten. Steak was delicious and if you have these mashed potatoes, you won't want any others. Reasonably priced and yes we are going back.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Food and exdperience was what I expected from a Bobby Flay restaurant. Hot potato chips with blue cheese sauce appetizer was dissapointing not because of the taste but because there were so few chips and enough of the sauce for 3 more orders. Entrees were good. Smoked chicken with black pepper vinegar sauce was excellent and portion size was huge. SIde of bussels sprouts with hazelnuts was awesome! Grouper was good and our waiter didn't bat an eye when someone at our table ordered their Filet Mignon well. That was appreciated. Dessert was the highlight of the meal. The banana bread pudding was perfection.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Early Sunday afternoon, looked around for brunch before a show for the family. Found Bobby Flay's Americain.

After a sumptuous appetizer of excellent shrimp served with delicious tomatillo sauce, we enjoyed a number of wonderfully flavored entrees. My blue corn eggs with black beans was a knockout! My wife's crab cake / poached egg received raves, as did my daughter's Kentucky Brown - a turkey melt of sorts - perhaps from a Flay knock down.

Delicious and creative drinks accompanied our meals.

This is not a cheap place, but it is a great restaurant, and in mid town Manhattan.

It is a beautiful establishment, a gorgeous bar, and premier service.

Nice work by management. I look forward to returning for dinner some day.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Easy, fairly casual and trendy. The food is very good. The prices are very fair. The atmosphere is clubby and trendy. The noise level is a bit high-but it fits the vib of the restaurant

Reviewed 4 March 2012

My only complaint was that the server was very weak. She was not good at "reading" us. She also seemed to be steering us to the most expensive items on the menu - all the less expensive things she basically said were not good. I had the lasagna (least expensive thing on the menu - $23 - and it was excellent).

Would return and hope to have a better server.