“Never Again!”
Review of Bliss 49 NYC

Bliss 49 NYC
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Bliss 49's two stress-free floors help bliss-craving 'spa-hoppers' unwind like never before. The first bliss to be launched in a W Hotel, bliss 49 offers superior 'spa-ing'.
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Never Again!”
Reviewed 8 November 2008

I am starting a new job on Monday so I thought I would treat myself to a 75 min Blissage at Bliss49.

When I arrived, I got into a robe, headed to the waiting room and began to relax as I sipped my lemon water with about 17 other women crammed in the room (granted it was a Friday afternoon so I am willing to accept that).

My massage therapist called my name and once we reached the massage room she informed me that there was "a problem with a steam pipe in my massage room so it may be extra warm and I may hear the steam going off, but we will be ok" (and there really wasn't an alternative).

Well it wasn't until 5 minutes into my massage that I experienced the "steam leak" Literally a blaring loud burst PPPPSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTT for 10 seconds - like the sound of a steam train- IN MY ROOM! In contrast to the near silence and soft music, it made me jump out of my skin!

This continued to happen every 10-15 minutes throughout the massage. All the tension that I wanted to melt away increased 10 fold! How is this acceptable?

When I checked out, I told the girl about my extremely uncomfortable experience. She offered to call a manager. When the manager arrived she simply told me "the steam problem needs to be fixed by the W Hotel" and also mentioned that "had I ordered a shower treatment, I would have heard the steam noise".

This explanation made little sense to me. Because it needs to be fixed by the W, it's the client’s problem? Why are YOU placing clients in there? And the shower treatment explanation, how does that relate? If I ordered a wax, I'd have my hair pulled out, but that is not what I ordered.

Finally the manager agreed to discount the price of the massage; she quietly typed something on the computer and walked away. The checkout girl said "ok now your total is $125"

I am a repeat customer and received no apologies- just $25 off my massage on a locomotive. I left Bliss with even more tension than when I arrived. I do not plan to return.

6 Thank bluelotus
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

lilylala
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“worst experience of my life!”
Reviewed 30 June 2008

I am going on vacation soon to cancun and decided to get a brazilian wax for the first time ever. I wanted to go to Bliss because I did not want to trust my precious "v" to just any spa. It costs $70 to get a brazilian wax at Bliss, I figured it's pricey but it will be worth it because I would be able to relax in the steam room and take a nice warm shower before my service. I also heard that they had a buffet with delicious brownies and fresh lemonade. I arrived and the front desk was rude, they seemed so annoyed to have to do their jobs. The zombie at the front desk gave me a tour of the locker room and informed me that the steam room was temporarily out of service, there goes that. There was a robe in every locker, and they provided blue signature flip flops. My robe had a blood stain, gross! I had to grab another one which was a little dingy but I said whatever. Okay fine so I took a shower and that was good. I liked the amenities in the bathroom, they had deodorant, hair dryers, bliss lotions, soaps, shampoo, they were good. The person cleaning the locker room was the nicest person there, finally a friendly face. She suggested I go eat something at the buffet. I said I will, thank you. When I opened the door to the buffet, it was a small room, with some sofas and a table with some hard cheese, nasty cucumbers, dry brownies, stale crackers and olives; the lemonade was good, that's about it. I was not expecting dinner, but at least have fresh stuff. Anyways, finally this lady calls my name and off I go, I tell her that It was my first time and that I was nervous and she didnt react at all, she told me to take my underwear off and she will be back. She came back a few moments later and put wax all over all at once, she put the strips on and told me which one she would rip off first. Oh my word, that was some painful stuff. It would have been fine if she would have been more comforting but she was rushing and was ruff. I was even bleeding and she said it was normal. My best friend gets them all the time and she said that was not normal. I didnt let her finish, she took most of it off but I left a small triangle beause I wanted to get the heck outta there as fast as I could. They charged me for a bikini insteat which cost $50 I was glad about that. I did not tip, I am never going back! ever!

5 Thank lilylala
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Chocolate Pedicure Very Nice!!”
Reviewed 2 September 2007

I just had my first experience at a Bliss spa in the W hotel. The chocolate pedicure was a relaxing choice after a day walking around the city. I was thrilled with the hours to have a later appointment at 7pm. The pedicure itself was very, very good - I recd a cup of cocoa and brownies as well as water, cheese and crackers as I sat there being pampered. My feet look wonderful and the only negative was the chair you sit in is a standard little one with rollers. My local spa has great massage chairs you sit in for the pedi but overall experience was great. I would like to go back for a regular pedi and maybe a manicure as well. The added plus is if you stay at the W hotel, you get 20% off your spa services, nice indeed.

New York, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Overpriced and Not Worth It!”
Reviewed 9 May 2006

Just had a manicure and pedicure at Bliss last week and the service was just awful. My technician Monique was late, and the whole service was very rushed. It didn't help that she was extra chatty even though I was clear I did not want to chat. She even forgot to remove lotion from my nails (you gals will know what I mean) and my nails bubbled up that night. I called the spa to let them know and they took a message for the manager, but I never received a call back. So disappointed twice!

I chose Bliss because I wanted to have a luxurious experience, however, I would recommend going to somewhere else as the price (almost $100 before tax and tips) premium did not get you a lot.

The only plus was that they had a great store! Would have been better off spending my money for the mani/pedi there!

3 Thank Jess_RS