“Pete's Tavern - a gift from the Magi”
Review of Pete's Tavern

Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Gramercy Park
Reviewed 20 February 2012

2nd visit to this bar - would love it as my local! The food is good, generous portions & there's a wide range of ales, stouts & lagers to choose from. It has retained all of the charm and character you'd expect of what claims to be NYC's oldest tavern. We sat in the booth where my favourite Christmas story was written - O. Henry penned The Gift of the Magi at Pete's. Well worth a visit if you are around Union Square, 3rd Avenue, 18th St E.

1  Thank VKJ

Reviewed 19 February 2012

This was my first visit to Pete's Tavern and worth the long (wet!) walk. Pete's is full of atmosphere and surprisingly uncrowded the lunchtime we visited. A highlight for us is the connection with O. Henry and there's plenty in the bar to remind you that this was a place he used to frequent. Good beer and lunch, though service could have been a little friendlier. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to go back next time we visit.

1  Thank LizzieN
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Co-workers had both extolled the place -- we were at the nearby Vineyard Theatre and decided to give it a try. The bar was mobbed but the restaurant in back had a few spare booth that we snapped up. Prime rib was good -- I especially enjoyed their mashed potatoes -- some of the best I've had. Downed a couple wheat beers. Enjoyed looking at the photos of all the famous folks who'd passed through the entrance. For a hearty meal after a play at Vineyard or the movie at 14th Street, I'll be back.

Reviewed 6 January 2012

Just stumbled on this place while walking around the city (it was not in our Time Out guide) but what an atmosphere. Buzzing bar, accomplished bar staff, great value, wide range of beers on draft. So we then booked a table in the back room, where the food was good quality and again, very well priced. Probably the strength of the beer had something to do with it, plus the time of year, but we just naturally got into conversation with all our neighbours and that really made the place special. Friendly, historic tavern, highly recommended.

1  Thank missvanwyck
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I used to frequent Pete's when I lived in the city. Now, when visiting, I always make a point of stopping into this old world watering hole and restaurant. We visited for lunch before Christmas: the place was beautifully decorated and the place was packed at 2 in the afternoon with locals, tourists and shoppers. We ate in the bar - just burgers and drinks - but it was fun and tasty.

If you have the chance to go there closer to christmas, they bring out a brass band to play carols for a rousing bar singalong. Lots of fun all year long. Catering rooms upstairs, too - we had two family parties there and they were just wonderful with great food and service!