“a quiet place not too far from midtown”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Harlem Flophouse
Ranked #16 of 75 New York City B&B and Inns
Brampton, Canada
“a quiet place not too far from midtown”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I just arrived back home from my vacation in New York City this morning. I stayed three nights at the Harlem Flophouse, which is located about 3 or 4 blocks away from the subway at 125th, on the 2 or 3 line.
We arrived pretty late so we were sent instructions on how to get into our room, where to find the key and it went seamlessly. It was such a nice quiet place to return to after long days walking the City. The bed was really comfortable for me.

Some things to expect:
- There is no kitchen or common fridge.
- Some areas of the house can be dark in the evenings, e.g. corners of the bathroom, the sink in the room had no light over it. Why does this matter? For women who care to apply makeup.
- The neighborhood is well kept, quiet in the evenings, feels very safe to walk through.
- There is street parking available, but it's tricky because the street cleaners come and you have to alternate which side of the street you park. And its usually busy. At the time we were there, park of the parking was taken away due to construction. Although, we did see a garage nearby we got away with street parking (free).
- I didn't bring a phone or watch, and I did not know the time while I was in the house. Not all the clocks had batteries, but I didn't mind since I was on vacation.
- There wasn't much "service" to speak of, but everything seemed clean and orderly and we were carefree by the absence of problems.
- The room was very spacious (probably enough space to do a yoga session!) but there were only a few hangers.
- 15 to 20 minutes to go or return from mid-town Manhattan during the day

Nice surprises
- Radio in your room and the common area setting the mood with jazz.
- Pheobe the cat was fond of playing with us, upon invitation.
- Quiet quiet quiet... with windy trees outside our window to minimize any street noises.
- We slept like babies, sleeping in without meaning to.
- The house has high ceilings, large rooms, spacious feeling with lots of ornate details in the decor... you feel like you walked backward in time
- A cupcakery nearby, we came across by accident - absolutely awesome!
- Colorful (not at all threatening) people make the area busy during the day, with conversations that made me giggle. Actually we were helped a few times by locals e.g. to park

Room Tip: The first floor up (with two bedrooms) is where the bathroom is located with a shower. The upper lev...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank parttimemodel
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Rochester, New York, United States
Reviewed 31 May 2012

For a great price, you get a cozy, quirky place that is quiet and safe. Breakfast is not advertised, but you do expect that B&B means more than bed and bath. The wifi wasn't real great in the room, but was fine in the common area. A few nice little touches: radio on with WQXR (the NY Philharmonic's station), nice soap, good location. And it's fun to tell your friends where you stayed!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank David L
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 May 2012

When my husband heard the name of the place where I would be staying in NYC, he was a little skeptical. However, all was well. The room was very nice, and the bed wonderful. Lighting for reading was acceptable. The memorable thing about the Flophouse was how quiet it was, inside and outside. I slept with the window open and expected to hear some street noise. None. It was very peaceful. The only negative for me was that the bathroom on my floor did not have a shower, but there was one on the floor below. In the end it didn't matter because I overslept and had no time for a shower before rushing to my appointment. I found the neighborhood to be fine (but don't expect a Starbucks nearby). I stayed here as a woman by myself and felt comfortable. As a bonus for those trying to travel inexpensively, there's a public bus that goes to LaGuardia that is convenient and cheap.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank cityslicker3
harlemflophouse, Owner at The Harlem Flophouse, responded to this review, 27 May 2012
Hello. Thank you for your visit and your review. There IS a Starbucks on the corner of 125th and ACP Blvd. less than a 3 minute walk away. A bit further is Settipani a cafe with Harlem's signature atmospheric stamp. There are two full baths shared by four rooms. The bottom one has a large claw-foot tub with antique shower fixtures. The top one has a smaller cast iron claw-foot tub without a shower. Sometimes guests indulge in the peaceful experience of taking a leisurely bath there especially in the afternoon when nobody is around. I am glad you felt safe walking around Harlem. Most people are not aware of how much it has improved.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I loved the ecclectic atmosphere, the assortment of antiques, the Brownstone neighborhood. It is a quick and easy walk to the subway. The room was comfortable enough, and the overall experience was interesting.
BUT, this is a "B no B", rather than a B & B. Don't expect to see the owner once you have checked in. He appears to busy with other pursuits. As long as you are self-sufficient and have no need for his help in any way, this place will suit you. Kind of like the self check-out lane at the supermarket. I stayed here as a single woman alone, would not do it again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Kprintmaker
UK
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights at the Harlem flop house and we were on the whole very impressed. The flop house was cozy and had a relaxed atmosphere with jazz playing at low level in the rooms. The bedroom was big, nicely decorated and comfortable. One downside was that the bath on our floor was very small, especially for someone my height (6'3), but there was a shower on the floor below that was fine. The flop house is well located with excellent transport links to the majority of sights we wanted to visit on our short break

• Stayed March 2012