I just arrived back home from my vacation in New York City this morning. I stayed three nights at the Harlem Flophouse, which is located about 3 or 4 blocks away from the subway at 125th, on the 2 or 3 line.
We arrived pretty late so we were sent instructions on how to get into our room, where to find the key and it went seamlessly. It was such a nice quiet place to return to after long days walking the City. The bed was really comfortable for me.
Some things to expect:
- There is no kitchen or common fridge.
- Some areas of the house can be dark in the evenings, e.g. corners of the bathroom, the sink in the room had no light over it. Why does this matter? For women who care to apply makeup.
- The neighborhood is well kept, quiet in the evenings, feels very safe to walk through.
- There is street parking available, but it's tricky because the street cleaners come and you have to alternate which side of the street you park. And its usually busy. At the time we were there, park of the parking was taken away due to construction. Although, we did see a garage nearby we got away with street parking (free).
- I didn't bring a phone or watch, and I did not know the time while I was in the house. Not all the clocks had batteries, but I didn't mind since I was on vacation.
- There wasn't much "service" to speak of, but everything seemed clean and orderly and we were carefree by the absence of problems.
- The room was very spacious (probably enough space to do a yoga session!) but there were only a few hangers.
- 15 to 20 minutes to go or return from mid-town Manhattan during the day
- Radio in your room and the common area setting the mood with jazz.
- Pheobe the cat was fond of playing with us, upon invitation.
- Quiet quiet quiet... with windy trees outside our window to minimize any street noises.
- We slept like babies, sleeping in without meaning to.
- The house has high ceilings, large rooms, spacious feeling with lots of ornate details in the decor... you feel like you walked backward in time
- A cupcakery nearby, we came across by accident - absolutely awesome!
- Colorful (not at all threatening) people make the area busy during the day, with conversations that made me giggle. Actually we were helped a few times by locals e.g. to park
- Also Known As:
- The Harlem Flophouse Hotel New York City