The Harlem Flophouse
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 198
US$ 194
  • Fitness centre
US$ 366
US$ 339
  • Restaurant
Room Mate Grace(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 214
US$ 195
  • Pool
Hilton Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 316
US$ 272
US$ 282
US$ 235
  • Bar/Lounge
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 185
US$ 157
  • Room Service
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 209
US$ 449
US$ 391
  • Room Service
NYLO New York City(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 297
US$ 247
  • Bar/Lounge
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 280
US$ 92
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsflop houseshared bathroomfrederick douglassstudio museumclaw footnew yorkaffordable place to staylaguardia airportchain hoteltop floortwo blocksrooms are spaciouscentral parkradiosubwaymanhattansink
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 May 2012

When my husband heard the name of the place where I would be staying in NYC, he was a little skeptical. However, all was well. The room was very nice, and the bed wonderful. Lighting for reading was acceptable. The memorable thing about the Flophouse was how quiet it was, inside and outside. I slept with the window open and expected to hear some street noise. None. It was very peaceful. The only negative for me was that the bathroom on my floor did not have a shower, but there was one on the floor below. In the end it didn't matter because I overslept and had no time for a shower before rushing to my appointment. I found the neighborhood to be fine (but don't expect a Starbucks nearby). I stayed here as a woman by myself and felt comfortable. As a bonus for those trying to travel inexpensively, there's a public bus that goes to LaGuardia that is convenient and cheap.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank cityslicker3
harlemflophouse, Owner at The Harlem Flophouse, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2012

Hello. Thank you for your visit and your review. There IS a Starbucks on the corner of 125th and ACP Blvd. less than a 3 minute walk away. A bit further is Settipani a cafe with Harlem's signature atmospheric stamp. There are two full baths shared by four rooms. The bottom one has a large claw-foot tub with antique shower fixtures. The top one has a smaller cast iron claw-foot tub without a shower. Sometimes guests indulge in the peaceful experience of taking a leisurely bath there especially in the afternoon when nobody is around. I am glad you felt safe walking around Harlem. Most people are not aware of how much it has improved.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

I loved the ecclectic atmosphere, the assortment of antiques, the Brownstone neighborhood. It is a quick and easy walk to the subway. The room was comfortable enough, and the overall experience was interesting.
BUT, this is a "B no B", rather than a B & B. Don't expect to see the owner once you have checked in. He appears to busy with other pursuits. As long as you are self-sufficient and have no need for his help in any way, this place will suit you. Kind of like the self check-out lane at the supermarket. I stayed here as a single woman alone, would not do it again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Kprintmaker
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights at the Harlem flop house and we were on the whole very impressed. The flop house was cozy and had a relaxed atmosphere with jazz playing at low level in the rooms. The bedroom was big, nicely decorated and comfortable. One downside was that the bath on our floor was very small, especially for someone my height (6'3), but there was a shower on the floor below that was fine. The flop house is well located with excellent transport links to the majority of sights we wanted to visit on our short break

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank IamG
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Overall we enjoyed staying at the Harlem Flophouse. Rene, the owner, has done an amazing job restoring the house, resulting in a quirky, truly unique place to stay where some of the glamour of New York's Jazz Age has been captured. We were warned off staying in Harlem by friends, but having lived in London and Leeds we're used to multi-cultural neighbourhoods and the area is much safer than its reputation would have you believe. Also, it's extremely well connected, being close to the subway for trains to all the major touristy sites in Manhatten.
No TV, and the wi-fi was a bit pants at times, but there are lots of books to read and a radio in the room. Bathroom was very clean and beautifully decorated.
Only downers for us were that the bed was small and quite uncomfortable, and on our first night I had to go and shout at some other guests making a racket at 1am (but that was just the luck of the draw with housemates).
Overall I'd highly reccomend the Flophouse for a cheap-ish, clean, well-connected place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My friend & I stayed at The Harlem Flophouse the night of New Year's Eve 2012. We just needed a place to crash for a few hours. We had to pay for 2 nights, but this was still cheaper at the last minute than one night anywhere else.

We loved it! The bathrooms were squeaky clean. It felt safe and was very quiet. We met cool Canadians. The only downsides were very minor. For instance, if you are allergic to cats, this is not for you. The cat goes everywhere. And the mattress was kind of thin & hammocky. But we didn't care. Great basic place for calm, quiet, cat lovers to relax and catch a few Zs. It's gorgeous too.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends