“Don't go unless you enjoy being told to pay a 25% tip!”
Review of Tse Yang Restaurant - CLOSED

Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 24 August 2010

I just returned from a trip to NYC for a long weekend. I went with my two sisters and my Mother. We stayed at the New York Palace hotel. The restaurant is literally right around the corrner from the hotel, so it was close. We had also read some pretty good reviews about it and decided to go there for dinner on Saturday night. The place is clean, pretty fish in aquariums, table linens, etc. I ordered a glass of Chardonnay and it was a dark golden brown color and it smelled like vinegar. Of course I didn't drink it but I had to have it replaced with a different wine. Some of the waiters were elderly Chinese men and they were very sweet and accomodating. However, when the bill came we handed the waiter three credit cards to split the bill three ways. They brought back the bills with the cards, etc. and we were examining the charges. One of the waiters came over and started pointing his finger on the bill I was looking at and said "You add 25% tip." We were schocked and said excuse me? He did it again and said to add 25% tip. He seemed angry and we were only 4 women, so we said okay and added the 25% gratuity. I compalned to the consierge at the hotel and he was guite astounded that occured. He called the restaurant and they said that we seemed happy when we left, which we weren't. I told him we just didn't want to be rude and obnoxious about it. He said that was a wise thing to do and he will check into it furter for me. Also, the food was nothing special at all. It was very bland. I ordered a spicy chicken dish and it had almost no flavor. The chicken was very slimy. I didn't eat much of it. Don't waste your money!!!!!

1  Thank Laurie1976

Reviewed 12 April 2010

I will start out by saying that the dining room is beautiful. The environment is serene and peaceful, for those who enjoy a quiet atmosphere conducive to conversation. Having said that, the food and service did not meet expectations, especially considering the prices. We live in the San Francisco area, where great Chinese food is ubiquitous and affordable, and we dine in Chinese restaurants at least once a week. We have also eaten many variations of Chinese cuisine while traveling throughout China, including Taiwan and Hong Kong, so we know authentic Chinese cuisine when we encounter it. I guess we should have known not to expect much by the fact that there were no Asian patrons in the restaurant. I had not checked reviews before going here or probably would not have gone. We only went there because it was close to our hotel (The New York Palace). We left most of the food uneaten, it was that bad.

Reviewed 7 August 2009

Arrogant staff. Below average food and obscenely expensive wine. First bottle that came was corked - accepted immediately by the sommelier, but not a hint of an apology.
We just spent 14 days int he US - NYC and Florida Keys, eating out most nights. This meal was by far the most expensive at $270 for four of us and ranked amongst the worst for quality.

Reviewed 15 July 2009

Went there a couple of nights ago for a birthday celebration. We picked tse yang as it was recommended in several places as being a really nice Chinese , WRONG it was really bad, entrees were $26 or so for a chicken dish and $30 plus for a been dish which were were expecting so. We had one of each, the chicken dish was so bad full of fat and skin on the chicken just like you would expect in a really cheap Chinese restaurant. and the beef $32 for very thin strips of beef with all vegetables. REALLY BAD also the server was not very attentive and was unhelpful. DO NOT GO TO THIS RESTAURANT IF YOU WANT A NICE MEAL

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 October 2008

Crispy and yummy pekin duck. Used Private dining room was good for business dinner. Service was excellent.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook