“Service needs a lot of work”
Review of The Flatiron Room

The Flatiron Room
Reserve with OpenTable
The Flatiron Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,199 of 14,730 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$ 31 - US$ 50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Broadway & 6th Avenue
Transit: From the 2/3 Train: Walk West towards Broadway and over to 26th Street. From the 1/9 Train: Exit the 28th street stop. Walk east to 6th Avenue, then down to 26th and across towards Broadway.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Came here for dinner and drinks last night.

Cons:
- Waited 20 minutes past our reservation time to get seated. There are five employees at the host station but it's pretty disorganized. While we were waiting, we were told we could stand at the bar, but there was no motion to direct us in and after a while the staff forgot about the offer.
- One of the staff was training a new employee at the host station and it was awkward to hear things like "now, if they look like they came from yoga, that's a no" or opining on the exact number of rips in the jeans before denying entry. I understand the place has a dress code and it's important to educate the staff, but is there a more discreet place? Better yet, seat us on time and I wouldn't have had to listen to this.
- Had to flag down waiters to order food and refill water.
- Was charged $150 for a $90 drink. This error really compounded because several in our party ordered the drink. The staff explained that something must have gotten lost in the shuffle during a menu upgrade. Really, the drink was initially priced at $150 and was then repriced at 40% off? I wonder how many expense accounts blindly signed on the dotted line despite a gap between the stated menu price and the actual charged price. Good thing I still had a menu to double-check.

Pros:
- Food is tasty.
- After we revealed the discrepancy, the staff took off some items. They also offered us another round but I got tired of negotiating which drinks the restaurant would or would not serve and just wanted to leave.
- The only reason this establishment does not get one star is because I rather enjoyed the presentation of the flights by the waiter at the beginning of the meal.

1  Thank Yang X

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Fantastic cocktails, great service, good food, and of course beautiful jazz performances live and on stage.

This venue is high in demand and hard to get into without a reservation. Would definitely recommend making a reservation before visiting. They will accommodate up to parties of 6 in the main room.. anything above that requires involvement with their event coordinator and a high minimum spending amount.

Regardless- I wanted to see some jazz and enjoy some fine whiskey on my birthday. I did just that with my friends and we were highly satisfied. The prices are fairly steep but what can you expect being in Mid-town Manhattan at a high-end jazz club.

Cocktails on the menu are really good, you can't go wrong with most food on the menu, and the whiskey selection is huge.

My best friend got me half a finger of their most expensive whiskey, the 25yr Yamazaki single malt Japanese whiskey and WOW!

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

If you love scotch, this is your place. I've never seen a menu with pages of whiskeys - you can even try a tasting plate of whiskeys or bourbon.
The jug of sangria is quite special too. The waiter makes it at your table. I'm going to try that at home! Cheese and meat platter was great but at $40 hardly substantial. The jazz was hardly audible with everyone talking. A great place with atmosphere but if you really like jazz then I suggest a seat at the front.

Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

This place caught me by surprise. The decor was vintage and cool with soft lighting. We were surrounded by couples, most looking like first dates. Ideal as there was a lot of interesting distractions to keep the conversation flowing. The Mac and Cheese was delicious, not so sure about the nacho thing.
The band played slightly hillbilly music but it was neither offensive or intrusive. Apparently the style is blue grass ( completely foreign to me). It was an experience and quite charming and different. I would recommend it as I had a great evening. Staff was helpful.

1  Thank Lauren M
Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

We made reservations for 5:45pm. When we sat down the server told us that kitchen doesn’t open until 6pm and the music didn’t start until 7pm. We though “no big deal! We’ll order drinks!” Well, the drinks were basically virgin cocktails. There was no alcohol in them, yet we paid $15 each for a drink. We sat for 45 minutes and the server did not take our order. The staff had an attitude and we decided to leave, without eating. This place is completely overrated! Don’t waste your time.