“Must do! Even if you have to wait. ”

Ellen's Stardust Diner
Ranked #788 of 15,766 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 20
Cuisines: American, Diner, Deli
Good for: Child-friendly
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We waited an unusually long two hours to get inside the diner for dinner on a Monday night during spring break. While the menu was pretty large, the food was just average, which is fine. We were there for the experience and we got it! Such fun interactive entertainment with the wait staff. They sing and dance (and serve your food) and you can do it all right along with them if you choose. I think the upper level has the best seating if you are seated by the railing to overlook the rest of the diner. Was a fun experience we won’t forget.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

They no other place like this. This is a very unique way to experience the NYC spirit. Very talented people working the table, hoping to making the stage eventually. And many do!

Warning: We did wait over 2 hours, in the cold, to get in. That said, after the first 5 min, we didn't mind the long wait anymore.

We will definitely go back.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

If you love musicals combined with good, reasonably priced, New York style food and a fun atmosphere then this is the place to go. All waiting staff are trained singers and all aspire to get a role on Broadway. So what they do between serving is 'sing their hearts out'. And sing they can ! Somehow they still manage to provide better service than restaurants where waiters just serve - and very friendly too. A real Broadway show atmosphere that starts with breakfast in the morning and goes right through to the evening.
Be prepared though to queue for an hour or so before you get in. It's well worth it though.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Went here for breakfast. As this place is always busy we arrived at an time I thought was early 08.00 to be met by a queue of about 50 that had already formed. The queue got even longer as we were waiting. Don’t expect to turn up and walk straight in as we see some try to do. What I thought was good was that the staff regularly walked down the line asking for groups of 4 or 2 etc so some people do get lucky - this is such a great system as it avoids say parties of 3 taking up 4 seats for example. The breakfast is nice although a bit overpriced however the pancakes are amongst the best I’ve ever had. The staff entertain you with their singer throughout the day and most of it is of a good standard. Well worth a visit when in NY.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Stardust diner is really good, the voices is incredible and the shows they put on is something else! The only downfall I had was my waitress, I don’t think she was a waitress, I think she works behind the bar as we sat at the bar and ate or food, she never listened to what me and my partner ordered and was rude about it. The food was lovely though, onion rings were a bit cremated but, I would return though!