“This should be the Saint Bernardin”
Review of Le Bernardin

Le Bernardin
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Bernardin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 13,681 Restaurants in New York City
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: 6th and 7th Avenue
Transit: B, D, E, F, N, Q, R & V, W, 1, 2, 3, subway trains
Description: Le Bernardin, Zagat's top pick for 2013, and awarded the Michelin Guide's coveted 3-stars as well as The New York Times' highest rating of 4-stars, has maintained its status of excellence for over 20 years and its international acclaim as one of the world's top seafood restaurants. Owner/Chef Eric Ripert continues to set unsurpassed standards with his piscatorial paradise and partner Maguy Le Coze's seamless and unparalleled service. *When making your reservation, please indicate in the Special Requests box if you will be attending THEATER so that we may accommodate you appropriately.
Toronto, Canada
“This should be the Saint Bernardin”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

No restaurant in New York enjoys a better reputation internationally as well as within the confines of USA. But its greatest treasure may not be so well known: The 3-course Harvest Menu, served for $45 only at lunch, of which $5 goes as a donation to the food bank. The home page describes it as being served in the lounge. That may put some people off, but in fact you are seated very comfortably at individual tables between the bar and the main restaurant, allowing less formal attire to be worn. The food and service are impeccable, although portions are small. A choice of two dishes is offered for each course. My wife and I sampled each dish between us. For starters, we had a truly savory tuna tartare with diced vegetables, and what was billed as “Riviera-style fish-soup” but turned out to be 3 large shrimps in a savory sea-food broth. The main courses comprised “barely-cooked salmon” ( too bare for my taste) with bok-choy and ginger vinaigrette, and poached skate (off the bone) with baby potatoes over which was poured a delicious brown-butter sauce. The desserts were not as impressive: a “deconstructed” Black Forest cake with Belgian beer sorbet, and a generous selection of ice-creams and sorbets small in quantity but high in quality.
My 4-star rating applies only to this particular menu. I am sure that nothing less than 5 would be merited by the regular menu. The restaurant is very busy and you cannot specifically reserve for the “Lounge”, but we had no difficulty getting a place bang-on opening time (12 noon), and there were a number of seats/tables free even when we left 90 minutes later. The ambience is impressive but relaxed, and the service is congenial and assured. A delightful experience.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank davidgoldberg1
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
White Plains, New York
“Many better in Manhattan”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I have been here a few times because I have a friend who loves it. We disagree. The menu is almost exclusively fish. The portions are small. The service is spotty. The atmosphere is stark.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank paul1009
Midlothian, Virginia
“Bravo le Bernardin”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

It is a joy to return to le Bernardin each and every time. The attention to detail in the food and the service is consistently excellent. The outstanding service, professional yet warm, makes us feel very comfortable, relaxed... actually quite pampered! The seafood is the best to be found in New York in my opinion. My Dover Sole was the best I have had ANYWHERE. They prepared it without any sauce for me. Pure, beautiful, extraordinary. We each drank a glass of a lovely Chablis. I asked for a dessert without dairy and again... They surpassed my expectations: Wild strawberries, so hard to find, and a marvelous strawberry sorbet. My dreams are made of these experiences! . My husband was delighted from start to finish as well. The maitre d'hôtel and the waiters took such lively care of us. We cannot wait to go back. Reservations are difficult to get. Plan well ahead and be flexible if possible. It will be worth the effort!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank etrujan
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Gourmet seafood extravaganza”
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Rave reviews for this french style,sophisticated restaurant. A recent renovation creates a dining room atmosphere that is calming yet lively. Wait staff are well attuned to the nuances of service and are helpful in guiding 1st time dinners thru the many selections of both appetizers and entrees. Be prepared to challenge your palate with unusual seasonings, sauces and broths that bring the fish to a new height of excellence. There is also a cafe if you want to enjoy a meal that is more casual with a seperate menu fom the dining room. Wine selections are extensive and staff can assist in choosing a wine suited to the meal.

• Visited July 2012
St. Paul, MN
“An absolutely wonderful experience”
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We were spending Thanksgiving week in NYC and needed to try Chef Eric's restaurant. We were only able to reserve a late lunch (on a Tues), and while this was probably the tail end of lunch service, service was impeccable. We were welcomed into the bar for a few moments while our table was getting ready. Even the bar treats were relish. Our table was such that my husband and I sat next to each other with a view of the restaurant and the gorgeous ocean wall. While this is a high end restaurant, service was not stuffy at all, it was very friendly. The sommelier recommended a lovely wine, and each course was a beauty and so tasty. All I can say is that it was an absolutely wonderful experience. We would do it again.

• Visited November 2011