“Not without flaws”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: 6th and 7th Avenue
Transit: B, D, E, F, N, Q, R & V, W, 1, 2, 3, subway trains
Description: Le Bernardin, Zagat's top pick for 2013, and awarded the Michelin Guide's coveted 3-stars as well as The New York Times' highest rating of 4-stars, has maintained its status of excellence for over 20 years and its international acclaim as one of the world's top seafood restaurants. Owner/Chef Eric Ripert continues to set unsurpassed standards with his piscatorial paradise and partner Maguy Le Coze's seamless and unparalleled service. *When making your reservation, please indicate in the Special Requests box if you will be attending THEATER so that we may accommodate you appropriately.
New York City, New York
“Not without flaws”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Despite living in NYC for over 20 years, I had never been to Le Bernadin, so when we were invited by friends to join them for dinner there, we accepted immediately. Happily we had just refinanced our apartment, so we had the cash flow to enjoy our meal.

And there's the rub. For the prices charged, everything should be flawless always. The food was excellent (although my wife somewhat graciously indicated that perhaps she had not ordered as well as she might have--my question would be why should any dish be less than extraordinary?) and the recommended wines in our price range were very nice.

The service was correct without being warm or friendly. You can do both, folks. Also, why were there not any women waitstaff--at least on the night we were there? There were very decorative young ladies taking coats and hostessing, but its 2012 people! More diversity of all kinds in the dining room is in order.

Finally, as our coffee was being served, I excused myself to go to the men's room. Having finished my business, I was standing at the sink washing my hands when a waiter in uniform emerged from one of the stalls and went straight out on to the floor. I checked for a sign instructing all employees to wash their hands. I couldn't find one.

• Visited June 2012
4 Thank Wanderingnewyorker
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, BC
“Can't wait to go again.”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

The Chef's Tasting Menu is the way to go. 10 amazing pieces of art on a plate. Chef Ripert not only has the kitchen running like a Ferrari. The service staff (which are many) all work in unison and anticipates your needs before you even ask.

The best restaurant we have ever gone to and we've tried some good ones. Be prepared to spend $ though but it is well worth it. Perfect location right in Times Square so you can see a show right after dinner.

• Visited May 2012
Stamford, Connecticut
“Best Restaurant in the US!”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I always find it amazing that there are silly people willing to waste their time writing reviews of establishments they obviously never visited and even sillier the people that actually believe these reviews. Such is the case of the review below mine that claims they prefer McDonald's and the actual helpful votes this review received.

Le Bernardin is easily the finest restaurant in New York City, and I dare say the entire US. I was there over the holidays and having experienced the chef's menu, I can say it was easily the best meal I've had in the US, better than my meals at the French Laundry in Yountville, Per Se across town, and Alinea in Chicago.

This isn't a molecular restaurant like El Bulli, which I was fortunate enough to dine at before it closed, or The Fat Duck in Bray, two of the finest restaurants I have been to bar none. This isn't even particularly modern, like Robuchon, in which I have been to four of his establishments, including in Hong Kong, Macau, and two in Vegas, and which all have been excellent.

No, this is purely amazing cooking, simple, fresh, delicious. If the chef Eric Ripert is performing some molecular/fusion/nouvelle tricks in his dishes, he is hiding them well because the presentation of the dishes is so simple yet inviting that the focus becomes the taste of the food and not anything else.

Yes, it is expensive, very expensive for most people. If you can't afford it, then don't worry about it. But if you're a passionate foodie or someone that just wants to try the best of what the world has to offer, even just once, it's definitely an experience worth saving up for.

• Visited December 2011
18 Thank Proud_Daddy
Brooklyn, NY
“Deserves all the accolades”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

This has been our "go to" special occasion restaurant for years. It is as close to dining perfection that we have ever experienced in New York. It is at Le Bernardin that, as a young couple, the "fine dining" experience was demystified for us with an extremely helpful staff that does not have an iota of condescension that so many fine restaurants seem to have.
Do we always love every dish presented - not all of them. That has more to do with our personal tastes than the skills of the Chef and his staff. Over the years we have definitely gotten more adventuresome when ordering. This is one of the few restaurants in New York where we will try anything on the menu...including some seafood I thought I would never try!
Perhaps my favorite part of Le Bernardin is Aldo and his wine staff. I have learned SO much about wine here! We choose our courses from the three part menu and ask for suggestions about wine that would nicely pair with our chosen meal. Sometimes we have two half-bottles; sometimes glasses of different wines are proposed; most memorable was a French white Burgundy that was served cold for the first course but then slowly warmed on the table and perfectly matched the next two courses.
Overall a perennial favorite of ours. The kitchen never lets us down. The staff is always a pleasure. The experiences memorable.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank bigonion
Los Angeles, California
“Amazing food with outstanding service”
Reviewed 28 June 2012 via mobile

Rarely to restaurants live up to the hype...but I have to say that my experience at Le Bernardin did exactly that. I started with the pounded tuna and finished with the lamb (which was probably the best piece of lamb I've ever had)...a cheese course...great wine list...all with fantastic service.

2 Thank rcorrao