“Very nice restaurant”
Review of Candle 79

Candle 79
Reserve with OpenTable
Candle 79 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 13,743 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$ 31 - US$ 40
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Between Lexington and 3rd Avenues
Transit: 6 Train to 77th Street and Lexington Avenue, #79 Bus to Lexington Avenue and 79th Street, and #101 & #102 Bus to Lexington Avenue and 79th Street or 3rd Avenue and 79th Street.
Description: Candle 79 combines delicious organic vegan cuisine with gracious, knowledgeable service in a gorgeous duplex space. Lovingly crafted food fresh "from local farm to table." Intimate organic wine and eco-liquor cocktail bar. Favorite of East Side regulars and celebrities like Paul McCartney, Woody Harrelson, and Alicia Silverstone. The only vegan restaurant ever reviewed by former New York Times restaurant critic Frank Bruni, who wrote "Candle 79 showed me the light!" We offer an extensive Gluten Free Menu. Brunch available Saturday and Sunday. Take-out & catering available, no delivery.
Oslo, Norway
“Very nice restaurant”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Candle 79 has great fresh ingredients, nice and inventive recipes and nice presentations.

As an omnivore, I have to say that this was a great restaurant. There was never a feeling of anything missing, and all the dishes we had were delicious.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank kvasbo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Korean first
Scotts Valley, California
“Excellent Vegan Lunch”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My son and I took a bike ride through Central Park while visiting NYC. We took an intentional detour to finally visit the highly recommended Candle 79. We weren't very hungry, but couldn't resist the healthy, gourmet vegan food that Candle 79 is so well known for. The lentil salad I had was divine. My son loved his beet salad. I heard dinner is amazing. Hopefully we can do that another time.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Mindi B
Victoria, Canada
“Best send-off meal possible.”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

It can be difficult to find good places to eat - add to that two people with vegan and gluten restrictions and the choices narrow immensely. We're fortunate to have made the trek to Candle 79.

By far one of the most incredible vegan meals I've ever had (everything on the menu is vegan), and I would liked to have taken home doggie bags of everything I didn't get to order. Couldn't even skip dessert this time. Go! Eat! Enjoy!

Service was also top notch. Five shiny stars!

Visited August 2012
2 Thank H W
Ottawa, Canada
“Quite good, but not excellent”
Reviewed 12 August 2012

My wife and I went here during our anniversary trip to New York. My wife selected Candle 79 primarily because we do not have a lot of vegan restaurants at home. Although we eat vegan/veg at home quite a lot, we are not devote followers. I had the veggie sushi and tamale, whereas my wife had the soup and chickpea cake. On the whole, the food was of a quality that we could make at home. Although good, it was not wowing. In fact, I found my sushi quite underwhelming and disappointing. The concept is neat, and the atmosphere is quite nice. A nice try for something different, but not a must try for the menu.

• Visited July 2012
3 Thank Gibarca
NJ
“Great atmosphere with fun, creative menu”
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My girlfriend and I went here a couple of months ago for dinner, and had a wonderful time. The atmosphere upstairs was so nice. Our waiter was very friendly and helpful with deciding on what dishes we might enjoy. The food was amazing. We're both eager to get here again sometime soon.

• Visited March 2012