“Best Ethiopian food I've had since visiting Ethiopia”

Meskerem Ethiopian Cuisine
Ranked #2,822 of 14,912 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: African
Neighbourhood: Greenwich Village
Neighbourhood: Greenwich Village
Reviewed 30 September 2017

The food was excellent, reasonably priced, and the best I've had since my visit to Ethiopia. The actual restaurant was small and crowded, and the service left something to be desired, but it didn't even matter.

Reviewed 4 July 2017

What this tiny restaurant lacks in decor and ambiance they more than make up for in good food and service. The restaurant is below the street, in a narrow room -- you shouldn't go there for the view. But, the staff that work there are warm and welcoming. And the food was excellent!

Reviewed 23 June 2017

As a vegetarian, there were plenty of options for me on the menu. I ordered the dish that gives you a sample of the various vegetarian dishes. It was delicious. The food comes on top of a bread that is unique and wonderful.

Reviewed 29 March 2017 via mobile

My first visit to this restaurant, and my first time trying Ethiopian-- it's one of those blink-and-you'll-walk-right-by places, but I'm so glad we picked it for lunch.

I never knew Ethiopian food was so delicious!
We tried a dish called "Doro Wat": chicken leg seasoned with onions, garlic and fresh ginger then sauteed with butter and red wine finished with berbere (ground red pepper). served with hard-boiled egg. It was reasonably priced, and enough for 4 people.

1  Thank Veronique P
Reviewed 19 March 2017 via mobile

I love their food even though the portions have become much smaller. Very tasty. I have not had anything I don't like except lamb which I don't eat. I think that's off the menu now. Combos (meat or veg) are a great way to get a tasters tour.