“Simple and inexpensive”

Ranked #395 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Absecon, New Jersey
“Simple and inexpensive”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Stayed here for 1 night. Pleasant staff, felt safe, great price, descent bed, fun location for young adults and tidy. I didn't come home with bed bugs and didn't spend a fortune, good enough for me!

Only downsides: Cash only, the ATM wasn't working either. COLD shower. I didn't say anything about the shower since it was the 1 night so I can't say they did or didn't attempt to fix it. Loud street. I took a sleeping pill so I slept straight through the night, but one of my friends said she woke up. These are minor things and I will absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Location in pretty awesome, just beginning of the 3rd avenue. Area is cool ( hippie/arty/punk/alternative) lot´s of little shops to visit and pleanty of nice restaurants near by. Just few steps to Astor Pl tubestation.

Hotel is really basic, nothing fancy but clean. Bit worn out thou. People at the reception were helpful. Our room was at the first floor, windows just across the noisy street. Take ear-plugs with you!!
Room was a bit small for two of us and there weren´t a proper wardrobes.
There was a cafe/deli downstairs of us, so our room was pretty hot. It was handy thou because it was quite chilly outside.

Our room was cleaned every day and towels were changed too.

Overall i would stay there again because of the location and price!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank kika1969
Baton Rouge
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My 18-year-old daughter & I stayed here during the time of the year when hotel prices in NYC are the highest (December 26-January 1). Even Saint Marks Hotel quoted their regular rates but added $50 for New Year's Eve night. But even so, the total cost for the week was way under any other hotel I researched ($1250). By the way, THEY DO NOT TAKE CREDIT CARDS!! So bring Traveller's Cheques or a large amount of Cash (which I do not suggest you do while traveling!) I booked the largest (and most expensive) room: "Suite: 2 Full-size beds Deluxe". It was nothing fancy and was only a step up from a hostel. The room was actually two rooms with a partial wall between. We each had our own small bathroom (very small shower stall), flatscreen tv with remote, one chair and an open cabinet (with two top shelves) which had three hangers for our clothes. The full- (or double-) sized beds were comfortable with four pillows of varying softnesses. Daily maid service was good--except that they got a bit stingy on the hand towels as the week went on. Noise from the street was typical of anywhere in Manhattan. We just turned on the individual A/C units and let them run all night. (Even though it was an A/C unit, we could adjust the temperature to make them blow hot air.) The BIG NEGATIVE of this hotel is that there is a LARGE FLIGHT OF STEEP STAIRS to get to the hotel office. We asked for a room on the lowest floor and we were placed on the second floor. Guess what? There is ANOTHER LARGE FLIGHT OF STEEP STAIRS to get to the second floor!!! I didn't venture up to the upper floors, but I assume there are more stairways... Thankfully, the hotel staff was kind enough to help us with our large suitcases upon check-in and check-out. My daughter & I are of average fitness and it was rough for us to climb those stairways at the end of every day after going to museums, sightseeing & shopping!

The best part of the stay was Ray's Pizza Bagel Cafe that is located below the hotel. They had a huge selection of food--open morning 'til late at night--with reasonable prices! I have a very restricted diet (for medical reasons) and even I could find something yummy to eat! Another great place is "The Smith" Restaurant on 3rd Avenue. It is a great bistro-style eatery. We ate a delicious Saturday brunch there.

The area where Saint Marks Hotel is located is ok. My nephew (who is in finance) lives a couple of blocks away, so I figured it was safe for a mom & daughter. The hotel entrance is surrounded by tattoo shops so the atmosphere is a bit rough. Access to subway is a couple of blocks away. Also, K-mart is close if you've forgotten to pack any necessities. We stopped in there to buy cheap knit hats due to the temperature dropping to 25F!

Room Tip: Ask for the Lowest floor available due to very steep stairways!!!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kst101
Canada
Reviewed 11 November 2011

But here goes anyway:
This is the only place I like to stay in NYC. I "discovered" it the very first time I went to New York and didn't realize what a steal it was. I went back a few months later and it was booked up and only then did I realize how much I love the location and the price. You get a safe, clean, air conditioned room with an LCD TV and DVD player and full cable, your own bathroom and fresh towels and a made-up room ever day, right in the East Village, for like, half the price of any other comparable room in the city.
One trip, a bunch of my friends all booked rooms here (about 14 of us) and no one had any complaints, so it's not just that I'm easy to please. I stayed with 3 girlfriends once and we got 2 double beds for $160. Try to do New York for $40 a night -- try to do ANYWHERE for $40 a night -- and you won't come close to this place.
Staff are pretty nice, never had a problem. If you need directions someplace, they will print you up a google map or whatever.
I guess this place is not for everybody. I once heard an older lady complain that it was "too noisy" and the guy at the desk said, "Lady, it's New York!" (ha ha. I just turn on the air conditioner or fan if it gets noisy on the streets below).
Yes it's cash only and there's no elevator, but if that's important to you, go stay somewhere else because I don't want this place getting too popular! One thing that's a drag is that WiFi is really expensive, but it's free without a password at the Film Academy Cafe across the street.
I heard it used to be a hooker and junkie hang out, but those days are long gone. It's all families and tourists now. It was closed all summer for fire code violations and I am so glad it's open again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the top floor facing away from St. Mark's.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank Canadian09876
Reviewed 3 November 2011

My best friend and I stayed here for our 25th birthday. We were on New York a week and stayed here for 4 days, the staff were lovely, helped us with our bags, and humoured our English accents, slight drunken behaviour, hang overs in the morning, they helped with taxi's and cutting the arms off a top I wanted cutting. We made a mess with some peanuts and they cleaned up quickly with no bother. The location is perfect for young arty types, we were so close to bars, tattoo shops, funky clothes shops and million food places. Perfect in every way. Made my 25th unforgettable thank you do much!!

• Stayed December 2010