“I'm not sure what all the hype is about.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC

and 1 more site!
Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
Ranked #201 of 464 Hotels in New York City
“I'm not sure what all the hype is about.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

This hotel is currently a hot spot so we booked a 4 night stay here over a long weekend. On the second to last day we decided we wanted to stay another night. We went to the front desk and they set it up so we did not have to switch rooms. After we signed everything for the extra night a woman came over and said actually they have no rooms available. Finally, after arguing with her she came clean and said they did have available rooms but now we had to switch rooms. We were set to switch rooms at 12 pm, at 4:30, the room still wasnt ready. Overall, the service was not good and I'm not sure why there's so much buzz about this place.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank carocar
Hotel_Gansevoort, Social Media Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Carocar - Thank you for taking the time to share your review as guest feedback is a very valuable to us as it allows us to address such issues that may need improvement. We are glad you enjoyed the hotel for the nights you planned however we do apologize that you were disappointed in the overall experience and the fact that we failed to meet your expectations. We assure you your comments are not a usual reflection of the service one receives at Hotel Gansevoort as we pride ourselves on and usually deliver impeccable service to all our guests. Your feedback has been shared with the entire team.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Finnish first
Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

The lobby at the Hotel Gansevoort turns into a nightclub/bar scene at night- dark, loud music. This Hotel is in a great location for shopping and restaurants. We walked across the street for a great dinner at Pastis and another night had a nice meal around the corner at the Fig and Olive. The area is packed with crowds and limos at night. The staff is so so nice and seemed to go out of their way to make us feel welcome. I was traveling with my Mother as well as my 18 year old daughter. Our room was not big but fairly comfortable. My Mother and I were clearly the oldest people in the place.This is a great hotel for young people if they can afford it!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MardiGrasMom
MardiGrasMom - First we would like to thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with the Trip Advisor community! We would also like to thank you for the wonderful words. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Please let us know about the next time you are interested in visiting New York as we would love to make next time even better then your first!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

I have a new favorite hotel in my home city of New York, and it is the Gansevoort in the so-called meatpacking district of New York. The staff could not be nicer and more welcoming. My wife and I live near the big city, but staying at the Gansvoort allows us to have a quick and easy mini vacation, especially with that heated pool on the roof top.

We liked it so much the first time we stayed that we booked it again the following weekend.

Room Tip: If you don't mind some late night noise, ask for a room at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_Gansevoort, Social Media Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Herbnass - It’s always nice to have a stay-cation and we are so happy you chose to do so with us! It has been our personal pleasure to assist you and your guests! We also love your enthusiasm for the location! Have you tried our Park Avenue location, you may also really enjoy it! Please contact us with any information or questions. And thanks for sharing!
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

I have been to the Gansevoort several times when I stay in New York City. Each time I stay I feel like my experience exceeds the next! Upon entering you are greeted with the nicest staff I have ever seen. We stayed in the Manhattan Suite last week and it was incredible! Since there was only 3 of us, we had a lot of room to move about in the suite.The suite had a nice space and I felt comfortable the second I walked in.It helped that there were 2 bathrooms considering the time that women take to get ready! I was even checked in before 1pm, but since it is the city, you can always find something to do even if your room isn't ready yet. I was not expecting to have complimentary chocolates and a bottle of wine delivered to my room! The staff was very helpful when we couldn't figure out how to hook up the ipod to the dock to the stereo system. Honestly, we did not want to even leave the room because we were enjoying it so much, however the rooftop was calling our name! I love going up to Plunge! The atmosphere is very calm and I love the music that is being played as well as the view! Especially at night! I never noticed a sound problem in the lobby, the only time I heard the DJ was late at night around 10pm as I'm leaving and the lobby turns into a little bit of a lounge itself. I can not wait to return in March for my birthday, I am literally counting down the days!!!
-Maggie

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maggie O
Maggie O - Thank you for the wonderful words! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we’re truly pleased that you also enjoy our brand initiatives, being the qualities that you verbalized here. Thank you so much for visiting us and sharing your kind words of advice! We can’t wait to welcome you back in March! Thanks again!
Wheaton, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

I stayed at Hotel Gansevoort in July 2011 for two nights for business. Upon checking in, my room wasn't ready (even though it was 4:30 and check in time was 3pm) so I asked to use the business center, which was off of the lobby. The business center was fine, but at 5pm at DJ started playing music in the lobby by the bar (this was a Tuesday). After waiting for a room for over an hour, I finally was able to settle in.

The room I was in (a suite) was nice. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was large and nice and the couch in the living room was comfortable to sit on. I ordered room service for dinner that night and the steak was very good and room service prompt.

The location of the hotel can't be beat. It only took me 30 minutes to get from La Guardia, has great cobblestone streets nearby and some good restaurants. Granted, I didn't get out much to explore since I was working, but I could see the location being a reason why someone vacationing would stay here.

Generally, my impression of the hotel is that it caters to a younger, vacationing, socializing crowd. The roof top pool and DJ in the lobby really benefit this type of crowd.

Overall, I would not stay here again for work as it does not cater to the business crowd at all. If prices were a bit cheaper, I would consider it for a vacation hotel; however, I prefer more quiet surroundings so I would likely look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and a corner room. The views are very nice.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_Gansevoort, Social Media Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Nicole4278 - Thanks for the great advice! We are sorry to hear that you were not fully happy with your stay here! Although we do aim at a “party” clientele we also find that we also have a bunch of business travelers as well. We are sincerely apologetic about the timing for your room, and we agree that is not acceptable, especially for a business traveler like yourself. If we may suggest, next time you book please specify that you are a business traveler so that we can better prepare for your arrival! Also, we provide a Social Media offer to clients who tweet, facebook, or anything else social, at us! Please let us know about the next time you will be staying with us, we would love to make next time better then your first visit!