See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 August 2016

i recently had the pleasure of staying a couple of nights in one of union theological seminary's (UTS) landmark guest rooms. although i had some reservations initially (no pun intended), a positive experience with guest rooms at teachers college across the street led me to take a chance--and i'm glad i did.

a hint of things to come came in an initial exchange of e-mails with the booking staff, who were very kind, attentive, and prompt in all of their replies to a number of inquiries from me. this strong and positive initial impression led me to overlook the fact that the only room available at the time was a single bed on the broadway side of the building.

in fact, i ended up with a room with 2 single beds on the courtyard side (which i highly recommend people try to book). it was EXTREMELY quiet, completely free of any outside noise (although you could hear occasional noise from doors in the corridor if you listened closely). i enjoyed taking some time to relax in that courtyard, which is quite beautiful and peaceful. also, the curtains are very strongly resistant to light, ensuring a good night's sleep.

best of all, though, were the staff. the front desk is staffed 24/7, on a rotating basis, and everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. on my last morning, thinking that i would have to run out to a 24-hour coin laundromat on frederick douglass boulevard to do my last laundry, i asked the person at the front desk about the location. he then informed me that i could use the UTS laundry room (it was about 5:15 in the morning), as he would buzz me in. score! this allowed me to finish laundry earlier and take my time picking up breakfast for the super shuttle trip to the airport at my favorite bagel joint (absolute bagels: broadway at 107th).

all in all, the location was perfect for hitting old haunts and pub crawling (especially on amsterdam evenue), the bed was comfortable, the front desk was personable, and it was very inexpensive for a room in NY (and with a refrigerator that ended up being handier than expected).

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Room Tip: try for a room facing the courtyard: they're VERY quiet!
Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank sing0rdie1818
Reviewed 19 August 2015

I recently stayed 5 nights at the Landmark Rooms on Broadway @ 121st. St. in NYC. In short, the carpet hadn't been vacuumed, the walls of the lobby have visible dirt and grime, and our room, which was the 2nd room because the original room was so dirty, had mold in the a/c, the woodwork had not be truly cleaned forever, and the grout in the tiled bathroom floor was black from dirt and not scrubbing. They mopped a few times, took out the trash, and brought clean towels, and that was it. No coffeepot, the power went out, the a/c stopped working twice, and the ice machine was broken. Luckily there is a store across the street that sells ice. When we asked about cleaning and fixing things the standard answer was it was an old bldg., etc. Being an old bldg. does not justify being dirty and broken down. ALso, uncomfortable beds. I would never return here.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
3  Thank christinef19
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We have stayed twice at the Landmark Guest Rooms at Union and have found the room quiet and clean, with a lovely quadrangle for morning or late night coffee. Breakfast and lunch are available on campus, though the menu is limited. Staff are pleasant and helpful. Subway and bus stops are nearby, as is a small corner store. If you want to hang out at a bar and use a pool, do not stay here. If you want a good place to stay at an exceptionally reasonable cost, book at the Landmark.

Room Tip: Rooms on the quad are preferable to rooms on Broadway.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank darcybower
Reviewed 13 December 2013

It's basically a dorm room, but with less comfortable beds. The radiator in my room had only two settings: inferno and completely off. There is an ice machine in the lobby, but the night I stayed, it was broken.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank TokyoVisitor
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I stayed one night in the Landmark Rooms at the Union Theological Seminary. I thought the quality of the room was an excellent value for the price I paid (135/night). Considering the other pricey hotel options in Manhattan, I think this is a great place to stay on a budget if you are visiting Columbia. Room: Very clean, decent hardwood, and great a/c that worked well on a hot summer day. The bathroom was basic but functional. Cable TV worked fine and two twin beds were comfortable. Location: About two blocks north of campus and very accessible to the campus, subway, and m60 bus line stop that goes to La Guardia. The area was clean and safe with plenty of dining options nearby. Amenities and Service: Hospitality was very nice and staff that checked me in was fine too. I was a bit nervous about staying here due to price but was pleasantly surprised...just fine to stay here on a budget near the campus.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo