“It's not a hotel! SERIOUSLY - According to the 3 NYPD officers we met while being there for 30 mins”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Riverside Studios
Ranked #442 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2011

It's certainly not worth the $128 I paid for it. Only thing I will give it is that I have worked at summer camps and lived in a tent for a summer which was better but the sheets were clean. The police officer story: we went to the vending machine for a snack and when we came back 3 officers asked if we lived there? We said no and they said well there has been complaints by residents who said its being used as a hotel. We said we were staying the night and they told us that it is not allowed to be used as a hotel and who did we get the room from. I said travelocity and they said well try and get your money back. SERIOUSLY if they are right and why would they be there if not, then believe me when I say, its NOT a hotel!

MY FIANCEE WAS SCARED THE WHOLE NIGHT - couldn't afford anywhere else at short notice...

• Stayed November 2011
5 Thank gmansa80
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I found this hotel after looking for a cheap place to stay in Manhattan.
It is rundown and has minimal services. The hallways and stairways are shabby and the elevator was more hassle than it was worth but our room was clean and roomy and our sheets were not dirty despite what other reviews report. The room had a fridge, air conditioner sink and TV, all relatively new and functional. The communal bathrooms are old but basically clean and functional, except for one of the toilets on our floor that was backed up for a day but the second one was still functioning and not at all busy. The laundry is in the dingy basement and requires lots of coins.
Having said all that we barely did anything but sleep in the room as it is Manhattan after all. It is a great neighbourhood with easy access to the subway and good local restuarants and food shopping (Trader Joes!). In a city with outrageously expensive hotels and much to do it stacks up as good value but don't expect any real standards as it is an old building with no efforts to renovate or update.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank LincolnK
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2011

its the most disgusting place i have ever stayed ..We booked for 5 nights only stayed the one night . As i walked into the front door my face dropped , that holiday excitement disappeared.The entrance was dirty ,then turned right into reception it was worse .At this point i still had hope. When we walked into the room ,i cried . I was born and raised in Africa ,where I have seen some terrible living conditions .What I saw was shocking .The sink , chair ,carpet ,bed linen and walls were dirty ... Then when i went into the bathroom ...oh my gosh ! The thought of it makes me want to cry again. We checked into Hotel Mayfair the next day, it was beautiful.and to think there was just a £100 difference.
DON'T STAY THERE .

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank shorayi

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Well, if you are a rude traveler, this hotel could seems an acceptable place to you. If you are such a person that only books 4 or upper stars hotels, this one could means a terrible experience to you.
Points in favor:
It's near from everywhere in Manhattan island
It's the cheapest hotel in the island
You have shared bathroom, maybe as accident you can know such a beauty girl with few clothes.
Points against:
It smells from the main door to anywhere inside. It's not a vomit smells, but means that it has not a good cleaning and ventilation.
As Argentinean, I could say that it's extremely expensive. In Argentina, with 100 bucks you can book a real good hotel, maybe 5 stars. But considering that it's in Manhattan maybe riverside studios worth it.
Shared bathroom, there's not to much to say about this. If you don't use shared bathrooms, this will be a terrible experience.
In my own advice, If you are such guys that go to new york and dinner in MacDonald's, this is your best option. If you go to new york to live the top stars glamor, just discard this webpage.
Bye!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank matias q
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I want to preface this review with a note that I am a student and very unfussy person. I stay in hostels a lot (shared rooms with bunks, shared bathrooms), so am used to "roughing it" a fair bit. I really try to give fair reviews on Tripadvisor.

Hotel Riverside Studios is the most disgusting place I have ever stayed. Someone described the lobby as resembling a "crack house" and I would agree with this. The hallways are mouldy, carpets peeling, wires hanging everywhere. The general state of cleanliness is well below par. The entire hotel is dusty, dirty and smelly.

The room my friend had booked was a double for two. The bedsheets were stained, the carpets were dirty, I saw a huge cockroach scuttle along the floor and couldn't even tell my friend because she'd rather sleep on the subway than stay in a room with creepy-crawlies. The shared bathrooms were VILE. What looked like oil stains all over the bath, the toilet blocked, I actually felt gross using the water to brush my teeth.

The worst moment of all was coming home after a night out and seeing a huge RAT run along the entrance to the hotel. It sounds like I'm making this up but I in no way am. Now that my friend and I are away from the dump that is Hotel Riverside Studios, we can laugh about it, but it kind of ruined our trip. We wanted to spend no time in the place at all and after a day in NYC sometimes all you want is a nice shower and bed.

DO NOT STAY HERE!
The website tricks you with nice pictures but it's a lie. Once you book, your booking is non-refundable so they have you trapped. Don't stay here! Sleep under a bridge, I guarantee it would be better!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends