“I SO wanted to fall in love with this hotel...”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park
Ranked #35 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Nicosia, Cyprus
“I SO wanted to fall in love with this hotel...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

but the prince sadly turned into a frog. I erred on the side of generosity but 3.5 stars would have been more accurate.

This hotel has a lot going for it as far as the hardwiring is concerned- to start the location is perfection - around the corner from Fifth Avenue and right across from Central Park. You have the best of New York laid at your feet. The rooms are timelessly elegant and generous in size. The bed among the best I have ever experienced... BUT to quote Gertrude Stein "There is no there there".

The staff and service, the soul of any great hotel, are wildly disparate and range from truly excellent to borderline disgruntled. Several times there was no one at the door including when I first arrived with luggage in the middle of the afternoon and after arriving back after the theatre late at night. Check in was somewhat perfunctory and it was the first time I was not upgraded as an Amex Plat card holder which is fair enough if they have no rooms available however upon check-in the guaranteed late checkout of 4pm was confirmed by the clerk at her initiative which I did appreciate. On my final day, at a little after the regular check out time I received a call thanking me for the stay and well, in short asking me to leave! Taken aback but thinking this was a misunderstanding, I assured the clerk that the guaranteed check out at 4pm was confirmed by one of his colleagues but instead of apologizing he just asked me when I would leave and said that my keycard (which is used for both the room and elevator and was faulty the entire time of my 3 night stay) would no long work and if I intended on staying I would have to come to the front desk. I was so disgusted I packed up and left with a very bitter taste in my mouth and astonished at the rudest treatment I have ever experienced at any hotel. I am the type of person who always checks out 5 minutes before the time and If they were pressured for rooms they could have handled this a lot better. To add insult to injury the bill contained several mischarges in the favor of the hotel including all three breakfasts (which were included in my rate) charged as lunch. It was quickly remedied but still this shouldn't happen at a hotel of this caliber.

While I rather like this hotel doesn’t have a large impersonal lobby it is missing a great bar like Bemelmans at the Carlyle or the King Cole Bar at the St. Regis.

Most importantly and sadly, however, I found the Ritz-Carlton Central Park lacking in any sort of graciousness or charm.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank traveltheworld4u_12
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Auburn, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend in April. I was a little bit wary when we first checked in because the hotel seemed a little bit pretentious for us, but my concerns were quickly alleviated. The staff at this hotel are all extremely friendly and eager to help. But the best part of the hotel is the room. I spend 150+ nights/year in hotel rooms and this one was by far my favorite. The room was bright with a great view of the park, the bed was extremely comfortable, and the bathroom and bedroom were both large enough that my husband and I never felt like we were getting in each others way. Unfortunately, my husband and I both got food poisoning on this trip (not from eating at this hotel), but if it had to happen I am glad we were at this hotel. That may be the only downside - the room is so nice you don't want to leave it.

Room Tip: Book a park view room
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here during our holiday in New York, and part of the reason we enjoyed our holiday was the amazing service and professionalism displayed by the Ritz Carlton. The food was great, the decor classy, and the service was prompt, friendly and very pleasing. Our room was very good and worth the money we paid for!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank funtotravel23
Odessa, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

My husband and I flew into Philadelphia, rented a car and drove to New York to stay at the Ritz-Carlton Battery Park where we had made reservations a couple months earlier. Our GPS took us to the Central Park location instead of Battery Park...we had unloaded our car and they had parked it before we realized the mistake. Instead of being treated like tourists who didn't have a clue (which we were) they quickly found us a room in this location. However, we wanted to stay in the Ritz where we made reservations. They graciously let us leave our car at their hotel, found us a cab and sent us on our way. When we arrived at the Battery Park location we were treated like royalty and they continued to pamper us for the remainder of our stay. The concierge was very helpful in helping us zone in on the best things the city has to offer for our short stay. The concierge ordered us a limo, after 6 hours of walking from lower Manhattan to mid town, to see the city at night and he was one of the drivers for the Apprentice contestants...he drove us all night to see the city that never sleeps...he was wonderful, informative and a great historian...We never met an unfriendly person in all of New York and the staff (and luscious rooms) made it a trip worth remembering!

Room Tip: I'm pretty sure all the rooms here have a great view of the Statue of Liberty. We were on the 9t...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sheryl h
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Ender, the accomplished and passionate welcoming host who escorted my wife and I to our beautiful room, overlooking Central Park, gushed when he talked about the pride that he and the other employees of The Ritz Carlton Central park shared.
24 hours we checked out fully convinced that they had every rite to be proud. In the Ritz Carlton world, one that always demonstrates superior service, the Ritz Carlton stands tall. In the world of normal hotels.... they don't stand a chance.
Awesome in every move. Not a single slip. Room was perfect and just what we had expected. Employees I had not even met greeted us by name (I've got to figure out how they do that? Do they have pictures of guests in the employee lounge?)... everyone greeted us with that warm "welcome home".
It was a one night trip up to see a Barry Manilow concert at Radio City. We mentioned that to the staff when we checked in. After a great evening on the town and at the concert, we returned to our room to find Chocolate Covered Strawberries, the lights and bed turned down and a Barry Manilow romantic CD playing in the Bose sound system. My wife freaked... a note accompanied the CD indicating that it was a gift to help us remember our visit with them.... are you kidding me.

New York, Central Park, Ritz Carlton... your going to pay, but who cares? This hotel and this staff have no rivals if it is an exceedingly memorable visit to New York you desire. If you're just looking for a cheap bed, this is not your place.

Highlights are the Location, Central Park, Staff, The club lounge.
Like all in New York, the rooms are relatively small, but better than most. The hotel is old, but fresh.

One of the top properties in the US. Bar none.

Room Tip: You aren't fully taking advantage of this property if you don't pay the upgrade for the best...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple