“Great Location, Comfortable Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Chandler

Hotel Chandler
Ranked #121 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Baltimore, MD
“Great Location, Comfortable Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

I have stayed at the Chandler 1-2 times a year for five years now and find it to be a terrific value in a great location. I arrive by Bolt Bus near Penn Station and it's an easy walk. It is between Park and Madison on 31st street, so it's very near both East and West Side subway lines. When I was there 1/23, they were substantially renovating the lobby area, which looked like it will be a big improvement. I just hope they keep the rates reasonable. The rooms are not too small for two people and they are very clean.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
the med
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

So, where to start - I always ask for a bathtub as I love a long soak. There is a bathtub but its half size so no chance of a soak. This could easily have been pointed out when booking but wasn't. On arrival, when asking for a full size tub was told it was $200 a day more for room with full size tub. Also, I'm pretty sure we're in a standard/superior room when we booked & paid for a deluxe. Our room & bed are tiny, friends staying here have much larger room & bed & we booked the same. Fortunately, its such a great city so you don't spend too much time in your room. The bed is small but very comfortable, Frette sheets delightful (& robes & Aveda toiletries). Asked for late check out only to be informed that from 12 noon to 6 pm would cost $249! How?? Lastly, the free wine & breakfast are a really nice treat but I have never been to a hotel that has a room service menu that doesn't have any breakfast items on it. Maybe its an NYC thing not to want to have breakfast in your room.... Location wise, the hotel wins, & the staff gave us great bar recommendations. When returning to my room after 5pm yesterday house-keeping hadn't managed to get to my room. Surely not 4 star service, turn-down/house-keeping happened when I was out for dinner but no choccies tonight!! On the other hand, we did recieve a bottle of wine when we mentioned it was our anniversary. As I say very mixed feelings. Can't say I'd reccomend this place...........

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Considering the ongoing hotel renovations, I thought the hotel was amazing. Would have given all 5 if not for the remodel. The room was clean abd comfortable. The hotel staff was very helpful and friendly. Hotel is also located in walking distance so many things around the city. I will be looking forward to the new bar so I will definitely be booking another stay soon...

• Stayed January 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChandlerGM, Director of Sales at Hotel Chandler, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
It is Monday morning and your review set the tone for my week - it will be a good one! It makes me so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we were able to make it a memorable one.

I do hope to meet you in the future.

Kind regards,

MR
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

We stayed in the Chandler for 3 nights. We arrived with a car and were told to move it before we had even taken our bags out. I had seen valet parking available but was horrified to be charged $50 per day and that was with NO access to car for the duration!! The attitude was superior and' take it or leave it this is Manhatten' . We were refused a baggage trolly and HAD to have a bell boy! A blatant way of forcing us to pay to get our bags to room!! When we finally got to our room it was lovely with soft plush bed, bedding, towels- really lovely. Unfortunately our loo was blocked so I had to get maintenance at 4am. Our window was also broken but we got an even better room the second two nights so happy enough. We only got 5 bed bug bites
between us so the bug problem is under control in this hotel i think. The complimentary breakfast was poor and the cheese and wine mean- not much of a compensation for the renovation inconvenience. The 'Dining' room was just a converted bedroom , very small andnwe had to wait. The saving grace was a lovely woman called Millie, she organised our
second room and could not help us enough. Without her this would have been a very very bad
experience.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Elaine C
MWRobertson, Director of Sales at Hotel Chandler, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Dear Elaine C,

I need to address the most concerning aspect of your review immediately, your claim to have been bitten by 5 bed bugs. I have sent you two emails regarding this with the most recent one attaching the report from an exterminator that we called to the property directly after reading this review. The report explains that there are no signs of any insects in the guest rooms you stayed in back in October of last year. I am sorry that you have chosen to wait 5 months before posting this review as i would have wanted to address this serious concern immediately. I have not heard back from you and therefore can only conclude that your claim is invalid and this case is closed.

Obviously, this reply is also directed at our future guests and I graciously ask you to contact me directly on 646-218-4444, with any concerns you may have regarding an issue we at Hotel Chandler take very seriously. I am proud of the many preventative measures we have in place to prevent such an occurance, and would like to personally share them all with you. Thank you.

MR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

I stayed here for a week. The staff was very friendly & professional except for Millie. I was at the front desk for 10 min. and she never even acknowledged me. The rest of the staff was friendly and professional. They have a small complimentary breakfast (pastries, coffee, fruit) due to construction in the lobby. The rooms have been remodeled which is a great selling point for me. I recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2012