“Nice stay, only one problem”
Review of Dream Downtown

Dream Downtown
Ranked #115 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Easton, Pennsylvania
“Nice stay, only one problem”
Reviewed 6 July 2012

This is my second time staying at Dream Downtown for business, and has been my hotel of choice when recommending to coworkers.
I checked in on 7/3/2, had two rooms reserved under my name. I informed the gentleman at the counter that the other person in my party (the other room) would not arrive until around 7/8 in the morning, so please hold their room and we were fine paying for that night as long as the room was not given away. Very polite staff.
However, when my coworker checked in the next morning, they did not have a room ready, and said they charged a no-show fee. She then had to wait about 2 hours for a room to be cleaned. A little shady that her room was sold and also paid for by her. They had no record of my request. I just think the customer should be right in this case...especially a repeat customer.
As in September, I loved the hotel. Enjoyed the fireworks from the rooftop lounge. Room was very comfortable. Room service efficient.
Oh, and the gentleman who checked me in said he would sign me up for Wyndham rewards... dont have any record that this was done.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank amys549
, Assistant General Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Dear Amy S,

Thank you for your kind words especially after we let you down on your return visit.

I sincerely apologize for not taking proper note of your instructions regarding your second room. Your colleague should have been better taken care of.

My Director of Guest Services is reaching out to you by email to make this situation right. Also we will provide you with your record of the Wyndham Rewards membership. The program offers very flexible benefits. We will make sure that both your stays will be credited!

Our biggest assets are guests that promote our hotel amongst friends and colleague. I truly appreciate your support and will work hard on making sure we deserve it.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

With best regards

AXEL
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (835)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2012

My stay here was intrigued by a visit to marble lane their steakhouse, once I got talking about the hotel and the service it intrigued me. The amenities for the location are quite nice, it is a staycation all in one you truly can have a great experience if you a feeling whimsical. With all the amenities and the nice modern design it is a quite nice change of pace, and it is an embrace in the neighborhood. The amenities and the club were quite nice it made for a good evening with the company, as well the environment and nightlife it great, met many great connections and networking was very seamless.

Room Tip: poolside if it is nice during your stay is quite enjoyable
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
NYC
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I very rarely write reviews but my experience at this hotel was so disappointing that it merits a review. What began with very forgiveable offenses (ex. having to call room service three times to get a fork and knife brought to the room, being pointed in the wrong direction at check-in, etc.) ended with a hotel stay that was undoubtedly the worst I've ever experienced, including my stay at the Fern Valley Hotel in Louisville, KY for work. I've worked in a number of customer service jobs and in all of those jobs, it would never have been acceptable to actually hang up on a customer. Nonetheless, that's the response that I got from the front desk when I called and explained that there was a cockroach blatantly sitting on the hotel bed. Several phone calls and hours later, we were moved into a smaller hotel room and, resultantly, a guest had to go home in the middle of the night because the newer room couldn't accomodate our party. Our room service was delivered just before we transferred rooms but the hotel staff didn't bother to move the food to the new room. What was more appalling than the three insects that we found in the room in the 3 cumulative hours that we spent in the room was the response from the hotel personnel. I requested a refund so I could get the hell out of there and was told that was not an option. The only option available to us was to move into a room with less bed space and be charged in full. Not ok. The staff was also super patronizing and acting as though we were fabricating our cockroach siting. Right. As though moving rooms at 5am to a smaller room and having to kick out one of our friends is in anyone's best interests. Further, the staff, clearly trying to downplay the situation, kept referring to what we saw as a "common fly". Please. I've lived in nyc long enough to be able to distinguish a cockroach from a common fly. Apologies for not getting close enough to the cockroach to get photographic evidence of it. In my view, you shouldn't need to have to convince the hotel staff about what you saw when you're staying at what I had formerly perceived to be a quality hotel.

Look, when you're paying $400+ for a hotel room, you would expect a certain level of service and amenitites. What I received was an infested hotel room, inexplicably poor customer service, and a 3 hour wait for the pool. Don't give these people your money. There are way more deserving hotels in the city.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Melissa G
Dear Melanie G,

We must have really upset you given that this is the second review regarding your stay! We are reaching out to you by email and hope to be able to resolve this situation person to person.

I noticed your additional concern about our busy, busy pool. It's a little bittersweet having to apologize for this. We have one of the very few outdoor hotel pools (and heated) in NYC. As anywhere else in the city, size is always somewhat of a compromise. In addition the great vibe at the pool attracts so many guests that all we can do is to recommend arriving early. And for the late arrivals we take your cell phone numbers and call as soon as a lounge chair is available. While we are working on finding a free chair our guests are welcome to enjoy our restaurants or even go shopping at Chelsea Market right next door.

We sincerely hope that next time around we can make up for the rough stay you had!

With best regards - AXEL
Los Angeles
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Great rooms, great ambiance whether you're at PHD on the roof, or lounging poolside, service, and the best service/staff you will find anywhere in NYC. I stay here every time I come to New York and it never ceases to impress and exceed expectations.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Since the 4th was in the middle of the week, we decided to do a NYC Staycation for the holiday. We were pleasantly surprised when we checked into the Dream Downtown and found it wonderful compared to some other nearby hotels with pools. First, the MeatPacking location is fantastic and being able to walk to the Chelsea bars, West Village restaurants and other clubs or activities in the area is amazing. The lobby is quite dark and it instantly brought down the stress of the NYC streets. Our room was urbanely masculine with the gray concrete floor, white floating desk and great built-in closet but the platform bed and pillows were incredibly comfortable. The uber-modern bathroom was great with the rain shower, metallic mesh shower curtain, deep bath, gray penny tile, stainless sink and bright lighting. Two problems with the bathroom however are the tub design that allows water to pour on the floor if you don't have the curtain pushed down in the groove between the tub and the wall and the impossibly high commode. I'm 6ft tall and my feet didn't touch the floor when when perched on high. We did not hear any club noise at night but we were awoken several times during the middle of the night by loud talkers in the hallways and the doors opening and shutting.

We had drinks on the rooftop which was crowded with beautiful people. Service here was fine and the view spectacular! Amazing, really.

We also spent two days at the pool which was really a sight to be seen and the reason we choose the Dream Downtown. The pool by NYC hotel standards is big and designed well in the space with the metallic wall that helps reflect the sun - great design! The pool is warm and loungechairs comfortable with plenty of towels. The vibe here is a mix of hipsters, B&T muscle boys and plenty of models, male and female, galore. We were on a wait list for the pool and in less than 45 minutes the call came that we had seats available (go early on a holiday!). I was completely impressed that we were actually called back. The waitresses there are very busy and very overworked. Considering the hundreds of people at the pool on the 4th, I would have thought there'd be more servers but whenever we got their attention, they were quick to come by and attitude-free. On both days, we did have problems with getting our food or screw-ups with the orders but I attribute this to what I considered being short staffed. The house music at the pool is nice and the 4th's DJ was really fun. We had delicious omelets at The Beach and hats off to the guacamole makers - nice and spicy!

I'd recommend anyone to stay at the Dream although it definitely trends towards the young and hip but you'll have a great time! Prices are a tad high for food and drinks so be prepared but none were bad and the space is worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that will be quiet. We had a 3rd floor room facing 16th Street which was perfectly q...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple