“Comfy beds and cool staff, but not an amazing location, and very little privacy.”
Review of Hotel Americano

Hotel Americano
Ranked #387 of 466 Hotels in New York City
los angeles, ca
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Stayed at this hotel with a friend for a few nights earlier this month. The hotel itself isn't bad - but there are definitely some things to keep in mind when considering it.

The staff members: They were great, ESPECIALLY the guys at the door and the housekeeping staff. One doorman actually ran up the block to 10th to get us a cab, which was really above and beyond. The front desk people weren't quite as great, but one of them helped me out with a map when I asked him.

The location: OK but not fantastic - it was a solid 15-20 minute walk to either the subway at 34th or 23rd, and before we got wise to having the cabs drop us off on the corner of 27th/10th or 27th/11th, we got overcharged by them looping around due to the one way streets. The street itself is strange - a Lamborghini dealership next to a high class strip club next to a trendy Italian restaurant. But it was quirky and we liked that it was a little grittier than the heavily touristy areas. And the tasty Italian food directly across the street from the hotel was a definite plus.

The hotel: The lobby is nice. The bar was expensive even for NY (probably due to the limited options of anything else nearby), and nothing special. We would have LOVED to check out the rooftop bar and pool area, even just for the views, but it was closed. That was a huge bummer for us, since so much of the advertising for this hotel is based around its awesome rooftop views. If they had the roof open, just at least for those, it would have been nice. The free wi-fi for the whole hotel was a very nice perk, but I also wish there had been a gym (even just a couple treadmills would work) for guests.

The room: The rooms are small. But again, that's expected in NY. And, expect to be getting up close and personal with your roommate, if you have one. If I'd been traveling alone, or with my significant other, the room would have been fine. But I was with a friend, and let's just say it's a good thing we're close. This is not the place to stay with people you're not familiar with. There is no desk in the room, just a ledge and a green stool. There are no chairs, except for a ridiculous black patent faux-leather bean bag chair that is terribly uncomfortable and awkward for anyone over 110 lbs. The beds, however, are CRAZY comfy! It's a good thing we were mainly using the room to sleep, because that was one of the best features of the room. There was a decent sized closet, also.

The bathroom: The shower has transparent glass walls, and you can see straight through to the toilet if the shower curtain isn't closed. (NOT awesome on the privacy front - this is what I mean when I say expect to get up close and personal with your roommate!) There is NO counter space in the bathroom, with everything that they clutter up the small glass ledge with. There's also nowhere to put your clothes while you're in the shower, except the toilet or the floor. The towels were large and fluffy, and there were enough for both of us, which balanced out the lack of space a little bit.

Overall, I don't know if I'd stay at this hotel again. If the price and situation were right, then maybe, but the lack of privacy was a real issue for us.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank amksba
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We were so excited to stay there since we got to know about this new design hotel in Chealsea NY. and we were so right the place is amazing the staf and service are fantastic, but the best was the cool ambience in the hotel.
We met some other guests and they did agree with us about our great experience, acctually they mention the food which was so tasty and well presented.
We did spend some time at the bar and of course the nicest people was there and the drinks were so fresh and tasty as well.

Americano Hotel is just the best option to stay, meet, drink and dine....

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I travel to NY often for work and I've stayed at a broad swath of hotels across the city. I try to avoid anything mid-town these days and have opted for smaller, quieter hotels with the hope that I find something that offers the unique combination of style and comfort. When I read bout the Hotel Americano, I thought it seemed right up my alley - decent location near the Highline, from what i could tell a nice aesthetic and design. Prices seemed high but NY prices are always rather exorbitant so I assumed it was just par for the course. But please do not fall into the trap that I did by seeing this hotel on design blogs and assuming it's lovely and amazing. It's nothing of the sort - in fact, it's a Saturday Night Live-worth farce of a hotel. I checked out after only one night and wish I had asked for my money back - it easily goes onto my list of top worst hotels I've had to suffer through.

I will say that the overall look and feel of the lobby was actually quite nice. It was a little sparse for my liking but I generally thought it wasn't too shabby. It smelled nice and had a good vibe. Cork stools, etc, are a bit dated but there was a general beauty to the simplicity.

The hotel staff all seemed nice enough, but a bit lost and clueless. I felt like they were hired actors playing the part of hotel staff for the most part and dealing with them was extremely frustrating. You'd ask a question and they'd have mostly blank or slightly panicked stares. I chalked that up to the hotel being somewhat new.

The room itself, however: Wow. You walk in and realize that the joke is most certainly on you. First off, the lights were controlled by a pen stuck into a hole in the wall. If you even barely nudged the pen, the lights and air control would go off. This grew frustrating in just a few hours when the pen would adjust on its own and you'd be left fumbling around in the dark.

There was an inoperative fireplace hanging in the middle of the room, along with a ridiculous bean bag chair that was a glossy plastic that would have done well in art spaces 10 years ago. The sofa was low, too deep to relax in and hard as a rock. The "chair" by the ipad chained to the wall was a stool for a supermodel. The bed was frankly the nicest part of the room and even that required rolling out of the bed to get up given how low it is to the floor. Honestly, this place felt like one of those tacky Euro furniture stores where everything is overdesigned and overpriced and generally low quality.

The bathroom was a complete joke - and as others have noted, it's basically just poorly constructed all around: from the preposterous length of the shower curtain, to the lack of any shelves to put toiletries, to the postage stamp-sized sink and ridiculous shower that basically was installed incorrectly, allowing people to look in but you unable to see out, to the too-short shower head that forced you to basically stand at the very front of the tub to get the full effect of the shower. Industrial design at its absolute worst.

I asked for an ironing board and iron (btw, there is nothing more annoying that not just having one in the room at all times) and 45 mins later it showed up, only to be taken away later that night while I was out having dinner. I called to get one the next morning and it took them another 45 minutes to rustle one up.

The elevator was excruciatingly slow, especially in the evenings when the rooftop bar was in full swing.

And then there's the noise. You hear EVERYTHING, including a ridiculous elevator for the rooftop partygoers that actually runs right up the front of the building. Every time that sucker rose and fell, you heard it rumbling through the room. And because of the "comfy" concrete floors, you heard every echo of the building, every footstep of people outside, every conversation of people in the hallway, every open and close of the door.

In short, this is an example of trying to fool people into believing this is what modernism is - it's sad joke foisted on people who have too much money and no taste. Cheap, non-functional, sparse decor masquerading as high design. And poorly designed rooms that may be nice to look at on websites but ridiculously impractical in person. If this is the quality of Mexico that people have come to expect, I feel sorry for those people.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, ask for a room in the back.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
11 Thank Ryan J

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2012

A former New York in town for business, I was quite excited to check out the new, hip Hotel Americano. The bar scene in the lobby was hopping and breakfast at the restaurant in the morning was delicious. The room itself was ok, location a little far west.

But never in my life have I had such an UNPROFESSIONAL encounter in New York. My second day I had difficulty getting the door unlocked (yes, they have physical keys and not key cards), a door which had to be yanked open to get out of the room since arrival. When I came down to say I was having trouble, I was not escorted back up but told to try again, sometimes you have to force it a little and if I still had trouble, then they would come help me. When I went back up to 'force it a little' the key quite easily broke off in the lock.

This resulted in me be locked out of my room, without access to any of my belongings for nearly 15 hours. The front desk had no idea how to handle the situation. In New York City, where you can get anything at anytime, they insisted there was no one who could help until the engineer arrived at 8am the next morning. For some reason a 24hr locksmith wouldn't do the trick? I was given another room and only after asking was I given contact lense solution (but no case... if I needed a case could I call back to the front desk again?) and a tooth brush. At one point they even asked me if I had tweezers they could borrow to try and get the key out???? No breakfast or coffee offered immediately the next morning. The engineer who was promised to arrive at 8am didn't arrive until after 10am.

At no point was a manager available after repeated demands to speak to one. Eventually, after the engineer broke the door, a locksmith was called.

The only reason any of this was done was thanks to the kind and attentive doorman, Leonardo.

In a City where superior client service is the norm and not the exception, I could not believe that their was not a manager on duty or called in immediately to handle this, nor did the front desk staff seemed to have any sort of training to handle anything more than passing out keys and taking credit cards.

It may be hip in the lobby - but it doesn't matter when you've been wearing and sleeping in the same clothes for 15 hours.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank anonymous159238
Will J, Director of Sales at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. This is certainly not the sort of feedback we like to see, but it is nevertheless incredibly helpful for us moving forward, so I appreciate it. Since you left, we have implemented a plan to have at least one person from Management here at all times, which is one step out of many we could've taken towards salvaging your trip to NYC. But as a team, we really dropped the ball on this one, and I apologize from everyone here for the distress it seems to have caused you.

If you'd like to speak to me more about it, you can contact me directly at wjordan@hotel-americano.com or by calling the hotel and asking for me. I am, at the very least, glad you enjoyed Leonardo and the restaurant and bar.

Will Jordan
Director of Sales
London
Reviewed 2 March 2012

What can I say? We really enjoyed ourselves at the Americano. The staff couldn't be more helpful, the hotel is slick, modernist, boutique, calm, cool and classy. True, the bedrooms aren't huge, and the layout is not for pensioners, if you get what I mean (but since I'm not so far off being one myself, I should say that a vaguely hip pensioner will be fine). We like the high ceilings, the dark tones, the eggs benedict for breakfast and the busy bar. You feel very much in NYC, which is just what you're after, and you're only a step away from the High Line. We'll be back...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wnybrad
Will J, Director of Sales at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Thanks for the review! It's great to know you had a nice time here - we hope to have you back again soon. If you ever want to experiment with other bedding options, we do have a few ADA compliant rooms where the wooden platforms are only as wide as the mattress. It makes getting in and out of bed a bit easier, so please don't hesitate to request one on your next trip.

Take care until then,