“So much fun! Even for us locals!”

Streetwise New York Tours
Ranked #15 of 625 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Most walking tours point and stare at New York-with Streetwise New York, you live it! Streetwise New York explores neighborhoods, recounts history and studies contrast--but does so knowing that New York’s essence isn’t listed in guidebooks or displayed in museums. The true New York is melted into slices of pizza, hidden in subways, and carried in the ever-changing stories of its 8.5 million people.
Queens, NY
“So much fun! Even for us locals!”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Having lived in Queens for quite a few years now, my boyfriend and I decided to go on Streetwise's food tour to see what we've been missing... and apparently we've been missing a WHOLE lot! Our tour guide, Dan, was very well informed AND entertaining. He's so freaking funny! My boyfriend isn't usually "adventurous" when it comes to food, but he tried everything and loved everything! We're in the process of trying to decide when to book our next food tour with Dan again! It was so much fun and so delicious!!!!!

Visited March 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

New York City, New York
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I took the Astoria Food Tour, and I'm so glad that I did. I've lived in Astoria, and had no idea how much I didn't know. The guide was incredibly knowledgable about the food and the neighborhood, and was funny on top of it all. Fantastic tour. I would do any of the tours they offer.

Astoria, New York
“Never knew Astoria offered so much, and I live here!”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I thought I knew Astoria... and then I took the tour. We visited the King of Falafel, walked through the avenues of the neighborhood while learning the local history, sampled Greek yogurt (made in the shop) and had lunch at a Spanish social club. I feel like we traveled the world in a day. I'm so grateful to have learned more about the neighborhood I love. I would recommend this to any visitor, someone who wants to learn more about other the other boroughs, or even Astorians, like myself, who would like to get out of your comfort zone and really get to know the neighborhood.

New York City, New York
“Great tour - for tourists or New Yorkers”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Dan took us on a food tour of Astoria. I live in New York, but haven't spent much time in Astoria and wouldn't have even known where to begin if I had gone on my own. The tour really managed to capture the unique nature of the neighborhood, as he brought us to places that felt truly authentic. He selected great places to explore and to try food, and offered a ton of recommendations for other restaurants and markets to check out. I'm definitely going to go back to Astoria after going on his tour.
As a guide, Dan was informative, but also relaxed, and he was really responsive to what the group wanted to see and do.
I would definitely recommend them for anyone visiting New York - or anyone who lives here who'd like to explore a new neighborhood (and feel like you're actually going to the right places).

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Unparalleled”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I love New York City because it is a place of endless possibilities and endless stories. The last time I visited New York City I tried one of Streetwise NY’s walking tours. It felt like I was seeing New York for the first time. I took their Immigrant tour with Andrew as the guide. We visited the Lower East Side and Chinatown before going to Elmhurst, Queens. Andrew enlivened the city, shedding light on century-old synagogues while pointing out the latest regional Chinese specialties.

To have someone who was raised in New York guide you is an unparalleled way to experience the city. While Andrew offered plenty of historical information, I appreciated the tour most for his ability to decode the city, to explain subtle differences in neighborhoods, stores, and restaurants. At the end of the tour I asked his advice on sight-seeing in other neighborhoods, which he kindly gave. I spent the next day following his recommendations, visiting sights and restaurants I would have never know about otherwise.

Visited January 2012