7,058 results
All reviews the red flame diner gaby restaurant new york times square chrysler building separate shower room service turn down service fifth avenue bryant park late check grand central station high floor quiet street fantastic hotel rockefeller center ny standards
Reviewed 17 February 2008

Just back from a four night stay in sofitel. I booked the hotel because of the great reviews on this website and was not disappointed. It was my fourth time in NY and this was by far the best hotel I have stayed in, in this city.

The staff were all so polite, friendly and helpful from start to finish. The room (mine was standard) was large by NY standards and the bathroom was great. Really comfortable room over all and modern in decor. Turn down service was a lovely touch. Bed was really comfy and provided for a great night's sleep. The rooms have sound proof windows so they were so quiet and peaceful. My room was actually by the lifts and I heard very little noise/disturbance throughout my stay.

The location is fantastic. Just a couple of blocks from Times Square. Few blocks either way to Macy's and Saks. Ideally located for the tourist.

Didnt eat in the hotel so cant comment on food etc.

Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
7  Thank ciarao
Reviewed 16 February 2008

My partner and I stayed at the Sofitel in December of 2007 for 3 nights. This was our first time to New York and the first time staying in a Sofitel and it was a really great experience.

The hotel is in a fantastic location; just a very short walk away from the bright lights, shops and restaurants of Times Square. We also found Macy's and The Rock a very short walk away. 5th Avenue was a little bit more of a hike but we managed it without having to break out into too much of a sweat and sometimes treated ourselves to a very cheap taxi back to the hotel after a day of non-stop shopping!

The hotel although right in the middle of everything, was down a very quiet street. We loved coming back to the hotel and being greated by the cheerful and welcoming staff at the front door.

We went for one of the cheaper rooms (although still quite expensive). These rooms were only mean't to be on the very low floors of the hotel but we emailed the hotel ahead of our journey and asked if we could have our room as high up as possible for a nice view, and they definately delivered! The room itself was a lovely size with and the bed that was so comfortable we wanted to take home with us. There was also a really huge LCD TV in the room and I found it very difficult to get my partner away from the TV and out onto the streets of NY. The bathrooms were gorgeous as well and the whole room was extremely clean. We had room service on our first night at the hotel and really enjoyed the food - although because of the location of the hotel we found it very easy to venture out for a delicious dinner.

All in all we thought the Sofitel was a great hotel and we loved how convenient it was to get to all the location attractions. When we go back to New York we will probably be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank jellyb1
Reviewed 16 February 2008

Can't really add much to what has already been said. Definitely agree that it is worth joining SOFITEL PRIVILEGE for the late check out and free drink (including cocktails!). This hotel is faultless and it you like ART DECO it has wonderful design touches.

We have been to NYC 12 times in the last 14 years and tried many different hotels however SOFITEL is definitely the best value feeling very 5 STAR for 4 STAR prices.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank binglaa
Reviewed 16 February 2008

I discovered the Sofitel a couple of years ago when I fled the Algonquin (which is down the street) after just one night. (Warning - the rooms at the Algonquin bear no relation to the pictures on the Algonquin's website).

On this trip I was staying with relatives in New York when I was struck with the flu and decided to decamp to the Sofitel to recuperate. I will often book through Priceline, but with the flu I knew I was going to be confined to my room, so I did not want to take any chances on getting a bad hotel by bidding for an unknown property on Priceline. So I booked the Sofitel on Expedia.

Here are the things I like about the Sofitel.

Quiet - it is one of the quietest hotels I have stayed at anywhere. That is saying a lot for a city like New York. On both this stay and on my last stay, I felt like I was the only guest in the hotel and did not hear any street noise or any noise from the other rooms.

Window Treatments - great window treatments - you can block out all the light at night.

Room size - the rooms are very spacious for New York. (One of the reasons I checked out of the horrible Algonquin back when I first discovered the Sofitel a couple years ago is because of the shoebox size rooms there).

Bathroom - as many have commented, the Sofitel has very nice bathrooms. There is a lot of counter space to spread out toiletries and every room has both a separate shower and tub (which is becoming very hard to find in New York since the trend is just to have a large shower - not good if you like a bath).

Good lighting - there is more than adequate light to read and work.

Some complain that the rooms are bland. It is true that unlike some of the "hip" boutique hotels, there is no cutting edge design. But I would rather have comfort over cutting edge design and I find the rooms with the simple white duvets and clean lines to have a Zen-like serenity. (Some complain that you just get a duvet, with no top sheet. But that is exactly how I sleep at home since I find top sheets annoying - so chacun à son goût).

If you are looking for a hip, happening hotel, you probably won't like the Sofitel. I find it very sedate. That is a huge plus to me, but could be a minus to you.

Anyway back to this stay. Wasn't sure how long I was going to be sick, so booked two nights through Expedia. Got put on the 14th floor (floors 2-14 are the "cheap" floors) right near the elevator. Didn't matter - it was still dead quiet and I felt like the only guest in the hotel. The room was fine - spacious and sunny with a nice little view (helpful when you are spending your time in bed sick looking out the window). One minor quibble with the room - the flat screen tv is on the desk. There is still room to work at the desk, but if you really wanted a desk where you could spread out, you might be unhappy (not an issue for me because I was too sick to work, but just noting it for business travelers. If you have a really work intensive trip - book a suite - see below).

When I still had not recovered from the flu after two nights, I booked an additional three nights at the hotel. Expedia showed no availabiliy, but I was able to book directly (albeit at a higher price than through Expedia - I assume the hotel had higher occupancy on those nights and thus the rate was higher).

Although there was nothing wrong with my original room, when I decided to stay an additional three nights, I asked if I could be upgraded. They offered to put me on a higher floor - the rooms are the same, you are just higher up. I asked if they had something bigger. They offered a corner suite for $100 more a night. I hesitated, but then agreed and I am glad I did - best $300 I have ever spent. The suite was really lovely - a big window in the bedroom with a view of the Chrysler building - absolutely beautiful at night. A very large sitting room with another big window, a comfy couch and chair, a large desk (no tv on it - unlike in the regular rooms), a very attractive entry way and a walk in closet. Same bathroom as the original room, except in the suites the tubs are bigger. Made me feel a whole lot better about being sick to be in such a nice environment.

Room service - as you can imagine, being sick I made quite a bit of use of room service. Thankfully, unlike at some hotels, room service at the Sofitel operates 24 hours a day, although the after hours menu is quite limited. I find it amusing that people on this website complain about the price of room service at the Sofitel. It's like complaining about rain - it is just a fact of life that room service in a big city hotel is expensive. (And room service at the Sofitel is cheaper than at some other New York hotels such as the Grand Hyatt and the Royalton). Anyway, I didn't think the room service menu was very imaginative and the food was okay, but not great. Room service was prompt and everything was nicely plated. If you order tea, be sure to ask them to bring the hot water in a metal pourer rather than in the tea pot as the water will stay hot quite a bit longer even though the pourer is not as pretty as the tea pot. The Sofitel uses a good quality tea bag for their tea service. But It would have been much nicer to have loose leaf tea (which, alas, seems to be asking too much at 99.9% of hotels). (If you want loose leaf tea, however, you can get it next door to the Sofitel at the restaurant in the Iriquois Hotel).

One final word - avoid using the Sofitel's dry cleaner. They ruined a favorite knit top I gave them by shrinking it so it no longer fit. The hotel refunded my money for the dry cleaning, but that was small consolation for a ruined favorite article of clothing. And items that I gave to launder while not irrevocably ruined came back faded and stiff. They really need to improve the laundry service - avoid it at all costs.

• Stayed: January 2008
4  Thank AnywhereUSA310
Reviewed 15 February 2008

We had never stayed in New York before and so have nothing to compare the Sofitel with, and it seems that all well placed hotels are eye-wateringly expensive.

The Sofitel is superbly located for tourists, with Times Square/Broadway, the Empire State and Central Park all with 5-15 minutes walk in different directions. Despite its central location, the street the hotel is located on is quite quiet.

Our standard room was a good size, spotless, with a very comfortable bed and large bathroom. The restaurant is 'French' but the menu seems to be the same every night. However there are numerous options within a short walk, both 'upmarket' and more basic. Breakfast at the hotel is good, but most days we ate at the Red Flame, a basic diner about two minutes walk away. The food is half the price and you get a taste of more typical New York life.

Some reviews mention building noise. There is building work going on nearby and some noise does reverberate up through the hotel, but this is only during the day, when you spend little time in your room.

Even walking back to the hotel past midnight we felt very safe - safer than in the average UK city centre after midnight.

In summary this is a superbly located hotel, especially for tourists. It is expensive, but so it seems are its competitors. The hotel is of good quality in every way, the only downside for us being a restaurant menu that didn't change.

If we go back to New York, we would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple