“Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Belfast
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We stayed for a week over Easter, the hotel was clean and tidy and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We didn't dine in the hotel as there are so many delis and diners around the area and they seemed too good to avoid.
The hotel is in a great location just off 5th Avenue and a very short walk to Times Square and Broadway.
If we ever go back to NYC we'll be sure to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geoff P
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Barrington, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We booked and stayed at the Sofitel NY for the week end of my husband's birthday. I had asked for some cup cakes to be in the room as it was his birthday and they made us their special week end guests with upgrade to a 2 room suite and a tray of cup cakes and bottled water (sparkling and still) waiting for us. Could not have been happier with the service and the room. Loved the location for walking around. We will be back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We were thoroughly surprised by this hotel experience. We stayed for five nights. The public spaces and the room (we had a one-bedroom suite) were in excellent condition - clean and comfortable.. The bathroom had excellent lighting. The staff was very accommodating, friendly, courteous and helpful. The location is very convenient and accessible. We couldn't have been happier at being at the Sofitel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2012

This was the third Sofitel Hotel I had stayed in around the world, so I was looking forward to it. I was put off initially by my check in. I was served by a lady called Nancy. Firstly she demanded a $400 deposit for the room from my debit card. (Beware this is common when you check into a hotel in the USA). My room was already fully paid for, this was just I case I used anything from the mini bar.. She said it could take up to ten days for the money to be returned to my card. I argued about this and she allowed me to pay $200 in cash instead. Then the address she had for me was incorrect. I asked her to change this. She kept insisting maybe I had lived there. I told her she had one digit wrong in my postcode. She wasn't too happy as this meant reprinting all the paperwork but I insisted so she did it. After all I had booked through the AA Club website for which I have a membership so I couldn't understand how the address could be wrong. Eventually it was all sorted but I did tell Nancy I wasn't impressed with her check in.
On a positive note, the room was lovely, very comfortable and spacious. I found the pillows to be too soft and I had to have three to get any comfort. The mattress was excellent. The bathroom toiletries were L'Occitane. The room service was excellent as they brought up ice to my room.
The location of the hotel was ideal for exploring NYC. It was one block from Times Square and Broadway. It was located between 5th and 6 th Avenue. Macy's was a ten block walk really this isn't far at all. Bryant Park was just around the corner and there was a train station there too.
The concierge were very helpful in their advice. They helped me to book a bus tour of the city.
Overall I enjoyed my stay in this beautiful hotel and the location.. My only disappointment was the check in as first impressions are important to me.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo