“Funky and Different - But ......”
Review of YOTEL New York

YOTEL New York
Ranked #137 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 15 October 2011

When you walk in, you do notice how different their approach is to hoteling! You check in on the PC's on the left which are very 60's modern if that makes sense. Apparently this is supposed to be smooth and easy and it would spit out your room key and away you go. I guess there are a few glitches to work out since I had to be helped and they had to print my key out manually. also everyone else I saw had some form of help. Still cool. On the right side there is this glassed room with a transformer looking robot that is storing luggage in what look like the body draws at a morgue! Also cool, but how much did this thing cost??

You then ascend to the 4th floor lobby where there is a concierge desk that was busy every time I walked by. From there you go to a second elevator bank to head to the rooms (which they call cabins) A few times, there was actually a line to get into the elevators. I don't think all 6 were functioning.

There were a couple of club type places off the lobby which looked happening though I did not have the chance to enter.

When you get to your room, err cabin your first impression is that the bed was meant for Mini-Me. I knew I would not fit on it even when I took the pillows off, but then I saw the switch on the wall that motored the bed to a flat position, sliding out into the room to lay flat! Another very cool toy to make the room bigger when you are not lying in bed. The cabin was small but very efficient - I guess modeled after a cabin on a cruise ship. (rats, I have vowed to never take a cruise!). The room was integrated into the bathroom with only a curtain separating you. Fine with me, but with two people some may mind. I did like that from the shower you could still watch the Today Show!

The crowd was pretty young and trendy, but I am not sure if it is the typical crowd as there was a ComiCon convention at the Javits that may have skewed the results. The staff was there if you needed them and were all extremely friendly and helpful - they seemed to be proud of their hotel!

I read some other reviews saying that the bed was too hard, and I thought, good, because I like a hard bed, but it is actually too hard and maybe because it is a hospital type bed, it seemed to feel like there was that bar under the mattress like a sleeper sofa!

Oh, and there is no room service!

Here is why I gave it a 3 rather than a 4 star rating: the neighboorhood! The corner of 42nd and 10th might be up and coming, but it is not there yet. No good restaurants to walk to (there is a Subway across the street) and the neighboorhood is a little suspect. I stayed here as I came into Penn Station in the morning, dropped my bag, took a bus from Port Authority to New Jersey, came back that evening, then off to the Javits (not ComiCon!) and back to Penn in the afternoon, so it was all easy walking distance.

I would stay again if I had a similar schedule, but would not stay if I was doing business in Midtown for example.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Upintheairtoomuch

Reviewed 15 October 2011

stayed here 4th - 7th October 2011. Great spot for access pretty much anywhere downtown/midtown right up to Central Park. Hotel seems fairly new and facilities are good and all is clean. Staff are friendly and helpful. Recommended.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Micko57
Reviewed 15 October 2011

I stayed at the Yotel from 6-9th Oct, 11, with my husband for a citybreak. This hotel really surpassed my expectations. Check in was a breeze at the kiosks located on the ground floor, it literally took 2 mins and then we were in the lift straight up to our cabin! The hotel staff looked after our luggage. The room was a great deal larger than I expected. The bed is quite large. At least 8 feet in length. The wash basin is like a twin and the shower is also very spacious. The room really impressed me. We had 4 suit cases to store and we had no problems with this. All rooms have air con, safes, hair dryers etc. If you require an iron you call ground control! The room was very clean, new and shiny and we had sheets and towels changed daily. The breakfast is served on floor 4. It consists of coffee, tea, muffins in 4 flavours, juices and fruit, we only ate it one morning as we preferred to dine out being on vacation. The cranberry mufins are delicious and the coffee is excellent. The Sunday brunch on the roof terrace is a must!!! I found the staff to be very helpful and always on hand to assist with directions etc. Time Sq is approx 5-10min walk depending on how fast you walk!! Its beside the port authority bus station where the grayline goes to Woodbury Commons. From this hotel we walked to Central Park, Top of the Rock, Empire State, Tim Sq, Crysler Building, 5th Ave, we took the subway to ground zero and walked to China Town & Little Italy and took the subway back to times sq again. Its an ideal spot for sight seeing, clean, relaxing and away from the crowds and noise which is perfect. I would highly recommend this hotel to couples especially visiting the city on a break.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2011

The food here is all excellent. However, getting it to your table is a huge problem. We went for brunch and waited 15 minutes for our waiter to greet us. We ordered right away, but after an hour only received one of the seven plates we ordered. First we were told they lost our ticket, then we were told it was because VIP's on the patio came first. We were sitting directly behind the kitchen so we could see the only food going out was for the large VIP table we were told about. Finally our food came and we decided to get two more plates since everything tasted good. Another 20 minutes later and we received a plate of burned bacon and no beef on the beef brisket benedict. That effectively ruined our celebration.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here Sept 1-6th. I, like many others, chose it as it was brand new, has a great location and got 50% off deal. Our first experience upon arriving was being greeted by the guys at the door (always friendly and helpful). Dan took us up to our room and gave us the "low down". He was very helpful and super nice. The room was small (we got a Premium Cabin with Queen Bed) but we expected it and were not disappointed. The room was bright (even without the "mood lighting" people seem to love or hate). We found the bed quite comfortable but could see it being an issue if you were overweight. We had a great view of the Hudson. Flat screen tv, plug for your iPod or iPad, decent size shower - good times. The toilet was exposed but they had a curtain you could use for privacy. That plus running the tap while the tv was on made or an easy experience. Truthfully I thought more of the condo right beside us being able to look into the room (but if that's all they had going on for them then have at 'er). The little fold out map provided in your room came in super handy. We used it everywhere we went. Breakfast wasn't an issue as we ate elsewhere. They had free coffee machines on each floor which made my girlfriend happy! We ate at Dohyo - the Asian/Mexican fusion restaurant in the hotel. The food was good and as we were advised came in smaller portions (tapas). The Pot Bellied Pork tacos were very good but comically tiny! The location is awesome - walk up 42nd street to Times Square. The Port Authority is on 42nd where we took a bus out to Woodbury Common (Premium Outlet Mall). There is a subway station on 42nd as well - do yourself a favour and buy a Metro Pass if you are staying more than a few days. It's super worth it! My only complaint was Q-Tip was supposed to be spinning in their lounge the Friday we got in but he cancelled at last minute. I'd definitely go back. The experience and staff were great!

Room Tip: If noise is an issue you may want to keep the window closed. Even up on the 25th floor New York traf...