“It should have been more crowded” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: East Village
New York City, New York
“It should have been more crowded”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

We went here on a Saturday, a party of five. When we arrived at 7:30 PM, we were the only customers. I walk by the place every day, and thought it looked nice, so we went in.
I'm glad we stayed. Everyone was happy with their meals, and the prices are not bad, comparatively.
I think it's actually a Swiss restaurant, not German. Although it was late summer, we started with a small order of the House Fondue. There was enough for five people to have a good amount, and it tasted just like a cheese fondue should. It came not only with bread, but also with carrots, cornichons, caper berries and (new to me) boiled potatoes.
For entrees, 3 of us got codfish, which can on top of a fried potato thing, one got chicken, and the last a juicy luscious sauerbraten, with red cabbage and spaetzle.
Everyone liked their entrees, and we even got dessert; a chocolate fondue! Again, it tasted just like it should, and came with chunks of apple, kiwi, strawberries and banana bread. Wonderful!
The beers on tap are great. I had a Czech dark beer, and my father-in-law a Pilsner. Very refreshing. Our waitress sounded like she may have been Czech herself. She was very sweet, but a little slow to bring out the food, though I don't think it was her fault.
A few more people came in while we there. Overall, I think this place is just fine and should get more business.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank djny10003
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Indianapolis, Indiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Restaurant Name Belies Its European Offerings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

I moaned when I approached the 'Heartbreak' Restaurant we had selected for before dinner drinks and snacks. The garish, bright red sign screamed to us that we had made a bad selection. But, the place has an incredible selection of
European beers, both draft and in bottles, and a reasonable wine selection. We just had some snacks but the cheese plate included some really nice bleu cheese, grapes, in a very nice presentation. Bread was good, beer served at a good, but slightly too cool temperature. Service by Kevin was quite attentive. According to the server, the name came about as homage to a restaurant from an earlier day. My opinion, it needs to change. We sat on the street, enjoyed the food, the service, and the street scenes. We will be back.

1 Thank stevei01
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wunderbar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Food,was excellent. I had the schnitzel with home fries and was delighted.
Please ( also) try the Sauerkraut soup.
The wine and bier selection is superb.
I am looking forward to my next meal at Heartbreak.

Marlies

1 Thank oahu77
Singapore, Singapore
“good for big parties”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

this is for dinner review only.

The plus:
1. the place is huge and great for big parties. It is so difficult finding a place for a big group downtown, and Heartbreak was able to accommodate us readily.
2. as you can read from the other reviews, the main courses are big.
3. Though they told us on the phone that there is a $3 plating fee, they did not end up charging us for the cake that we brought. maybe it's because we were already the last party that night and it's nearly midnight by then. But that was sweet!

The minus:
Food was ok. it's not good, it's not bad. I had the pork shank as my main which was recommended, but it was a tad dry.

Shared fondue (nice if you like cheese, but can't really taste the truffle oil), charcuteria, potato dumplings (tasty!).

Wines were affordable (we had 3 bottles of sparkling German riesling for $25 each!) and great for groups!

1 Thank ancyancy
Williamstown, New Jersey
“Good German American Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

This is a very good German rest. with authentic meals and great beers! The chef visits the tables and the food is as close to homemade as you can find. It's open aired but still very pleasent in keeping with the locale. Very easy to find at the corner of Second Ave. and Second St. It was our first visit with friends who live in the area and we'll be back. I would prefer not to comment on the food too much since it was our first visit. Overall, I must say that we enjoyed everything about the experience!!

• Visited June 2011