New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #104 of 478 Hotels in New York City
CT
“Pretty Darn Good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

The Jewel Facing Rockefeller is clean, efficient and in the perfect location. Half a block from St. Patrick’s, Rockefeller Center and Radio City Music Hall. An easy cab ride or by subway, close enough to the excitement of NYC, but not stuck in the middle of it.

The rate on price-matching sites was the same as booking direct, check-in was easy with their self-check in, though an attentive staff member helped me from the moment I walked in the door. Room 601 on the front of the building, right next to the purified water station. (A nice perk as water in the city can be as much as $3 a bottle.)

The room reminds me of a cruise ship room – built long and narrow but efficient. I was pleased with the spotless bathroom with amenities and a blow-dryer. A place to put my suitcase and a wardrobe to hang my clothes. A comfortable sitting chair with a swing out work surface and a generous work desk with a good task light and easily accessible outlets as well as a work chair I was trying to figure out how to steal it was so comfortable. I had requested a mini-fridge and a microwave which were already in my room, right under the flat screen TV that swiveled for easy viewing. The comfortable queen size bed had plenty of soft CLEAN bedding and pillows. The nightstand had iPod docking station / Alarm clock, plenty of outlets and USB chargers; this is also where the thermostat is located.

The frosted glass window in the bathroom door worked well as a night light, kept the bathroom light on without it blinding me overnight.

The view from the 6th floor isn’t too exciting, straight ahead is an office building (with people who work late, if you are a people watcher.) But you can see into the courtyard to Rockefeller Center, and looking left and right you can see the steeples of St. Pats and the lights of Radio City.

The dining arrangement with the neighboring “Club Quarters” is nice. A 20% discount on food and a free drink voucher. Their “all season outdoor” dining was nice. Food was fine, but there are many great casual restaurants in the area including Bill’s Burgers, Johnny Utah’s and Simply Fresh.

I would say that the price is right for NYC, the room is the right size for one or two people and the staff is great. I came into my room at 11:30 one night and staff was cleaning the water station and fire extinguisher. When I had a problem closing my window at 1am, polite staff quickly took care of the problem.

I was able to store my luggage at no charge for the day as I spent the day around town. Cab’s do not often drive by this way, so you might be better off trying to hail one on 5th or 6th Ave. Upper floors have rooms with a balcony that would overlook Rockefeller, might be worth the extra price. All in all, I would stay there again for sure as well as recommending it to others.

Room Tip: A room facing the street is a bit noisey - ask for the back of the hotel when booking if you need qu...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelGirlFromCT
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Greek first
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

I've traveled a lot and am very picky: I prefer luxury, but sometimes have to go with the other!. We booked this room for a one-night stay at the end of March 2012 as we were visiting friends and just needed somewhere to rest our heads. It was an unexpected delight!
It's a little quirky which is to be expected based on its size, but all in a good way. The hotel is new (compared to most in NYC).
You can check in at 2 self service terminals but there is always a staff member on duty at the tiny reception desk. The two staff I met bent over backwards to help with anything a guest needed and seemed very on top of local knowledge also. The hotel is very narrow, but tall and therefore has been arranged VERY cleverly to make maximum use of the space. For example, on our floor (which I think was either 2 or 4), they have built a small guest lounge with TVs and work spaces and coffee area which is close to the rooms though also far enough away not to be bothersome. Our room was very small (all the rooms here are) BUT they were designed by someone with the right idea for how to design small rooms. For example the 'desk' was a desktop arm that swung over the easy chair so you could work from the chair or sit and relax. All areas of the room were designed to be used, every inch was well thought out. The bathroom, like the bedroom, was very small but completely functional, modern and CLEAN - not a speck of dust anywhere. Same with the bedroom - absolutely SPOTLESSLY clean. Best of all - location. Our room directly overlooked the Roc and we were about 200 yards away from St Patrick's Cathedral. It was a gentle stroll to a few good restaurants and wine bars (including the area that is Ireland's 'home away from home' off 2nd Avenue). The hotel has a discounted rate with a parking garage that is 1/2 a block over so that was also a great thing as I prefer to bring my car into town - you just have to get your parking voucher stamped by the hotel on departure. The room was incredibly quiet, even though we were facing the main road of one of the busiest parts of Manhattan and I heard nothing all night...except my husband's snoring....If you turn right as you exit the hotel, there is a little coffee bar halfway down the block which does a great cup of coffee and breakfast. For the price we paid (under $200 in MANHATTAN - unbelievable), we got a brand new hotel, great room, great location and will definitely come again. I think a family coming for a full week might struggle just because of the size of the rooms BUT I could be wrong and there a far worse places to stay! Kudos to the staff.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

We just returned from our weekend at the Jewel...what a gem! It is perfectly situated - within a short walk to Times Square, right across from Rockefeller Center. The room was great - superior room with a Queen bed and a pull out chair bed. Nice kitchenette area which was an added bonus. We didn't get a room with a balcony (unfortunately), but had a nice view. We stayed on the 7th floor and didn't hear any street noise. The room had a great AC, so it was very cool - but also able to control the temp yourself. Even the window opened if we wanted fresh air - not a usual thing in NYC hotel. Bathroom was fine - only disappointment was a pocket door - not ideal. Great closet space - we had more room than we could use. For NYC, this is a big room. Free bottled water on every floor which really saves money. Very helpful front receptionist - gave us a recommendation for Azalea's restaurant within a short walk from the hotel - which was excellent! We were also given a coupon for the Terrace right next door (sat outside for a drink). We've stayed many times in NYC - Times Squre, 5th Ave, etc. - but this boutique hotel is a keeper. We will definitely return - excellent choice for us.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Bologne, Italie
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

just in front of the Rockfeller Center very new and well furnished rooms even if small as in NY but good enough to enjoy your stay in NY

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bridgetown, Barbados
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

I enjoyed my stay at Jewel over the Easter weekend. I chose the location specifically because of its proximity to St Patrick’s Cathedral and was not disappointed, as it was half block away.
As a matter of fact, the Jewel is between St Patrick’s and Radio City Music Hall on 51st street as both buildings could been seen from my room. The facilities were compact, but very clean, and well appointed with lots of plugs, comfy bed and a small desk for work. On either side of the hotel you will find really good choices for breakfast and lunch. Broadway is a couple blocks away, and we easily walked to the theatre to see jersey boys (which was very very good) and strolled along to Times Square to absorb in the sights and sounds of the big Apple. I really enjoyed myself at the Jewel and the staff were very friendly and easy with dinner recommendations. The gym is small but with three good elliptical machines and some weights. I will definitely stay at the Jewel next time I am in Manhatten, and would recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family