New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Sheraton Tribeca New York Hotel

Sheraton Tribeca New York Hotel
Ranked #302 of 477 Hotels in New York City
San Francisco
“Nice Hotel and Good Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

The hotel is in a great location to walk to many downtown areas, and it's a standard Sheraton with comfortable beds and clean bathrooms. The room was decent sized for Manhattan (about 275 sq. ft. but felt bigger), and the staff was very friendly. The first floor lobby feels kind of cramped, but it's not a big deal and doesn't detract from the stay or the experience.

I'll definitely stay here again and would recommend it for people who are looking for someplace to stay in the area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Finnish first
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

My son and I arrived by car on Thursday the 12th of July, 2012 for 4 nights. We actually came up a day early, looking forward to our time in NYC. In the four days we were in Manhattan the only rude, discourteous experience we had was with the front desk staff at this hotel- management no less. The rest of the staff was apologetic and accommodating and tried to correct their errors, but couldn't do so without the management's authority.
My hotel arrangements were made on my behalf through a 3rd party such as this site. My room was paid for in advance. $128/per night- supposedly a savings off the rack rate of $226/per night for a 4 star in TriBeCa. I will first say that the hotel is clean and neat and what I would expect for a 2 1/2-3 star accommodations, Otherwise, it fell short on amenities and service, especially service (no concierge or club level service that I could see, no refreshments, nothing and I mean nothing complimentary to make you feel welcome). I gave them my credit card at check in for incidentals, only to be charged $621.00 for my stay although I had already pre-paid. I was also given a king room to share with my 20 yr old son, and refused any other accommodations although I offered to pay the difference. The manager on duty was snarky and proceeded to lecture me about going through third party vendors for my accommodations, as they can't guarantee the room type for that price. I reminded the manager, I was only asking for TWO beds, and I was wiling to pay the difference. I was told there were no rooms with two beds, not even a suite (not even a sleeper sofa), and that they were oversold and couldn't accommodate the people coming in. She proceeded to make calls to another Sheraton hotel at my proding to see if they had a room with two beds, but I was have to pay the difference in price I was told. After she started to go through the list of hotels, I dismissed her effort as I reminded her there was a purpose to our trip and we couldn't be delayed any further. There was no empathy for the position we had been put in- in fact, she acted as thought she was doing us a favor to let us stay there. Her behavior was the most HOSTILE I have ever experienced from someone in the hospitality industry.
To add insult to injury, we ordered chocolate cake from room service on July 14th of our stay and became very ill. We could hardly leave our 10x10 cell of a room. When we did leave, it took several phone calls and trips to the front desk to get the $621.00 cancelled out of their system, although they "claimed" they had contacted my bank the day before to do so. LIE. I spoke to my bank at the front desk, and was instructed that all the hotel needed to do was cancel the charge out of THEIR system, which they had not done. My bank would update the balance in 48 hours. The money was NOT the point, the point was UNAUTHORIZED charges to my card. It's called FRAUD.
When we left on Monday the 16th and my car was brought to me, there was a large splat in the center of my hood that was rust in color. It appeared something had dripped on my hood wherever they had parked my car. There were scratches along the driver's side door as if someone had tried to get in the vehicle. My back up camera no longer works and the manual hood latch is disabled.
I have tried on several occasions since Monday to contact Lowell Bebe-Center to no avail.
I have been told he is "away from his desk". I have been told a manager on duty will contact me.
We'll see, but I'm not waiting to take action. The only souls on that front desk who showed a pittance of kindness was Andrea and Giselle. BTW- I am a Starwood Preferred Guest, but I've never seen it as an advantage, so I've given up trying to use it. I recommend staying away from the Starwood Brand. Go Marriott or Intercontinental if you want a real 4 star experience.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel. It's not worth the loss of your time, peace, happiness or money.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JoanneBNA
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

This hotel is right on Canal Street, so you can also pick up a knock off designer handbag from guys who whisper the names of their wares as you pass. Our friends got a deal on this hotel through priceline, so we decided to stay there as well for convenience. Honestly, the rooms are fine. The bed was actually really comfortable and we slept very well. It's a short walk from Soho for shopping and about a 30 minute walk to Meatpacking District. Here were some down sides. 2 of the 3 elevators were broken so there were lines that would form to wait for them. a woman next to me told me that she and her husband just started getting a drink at the bar to wait them out because sometimes it would take 45 mins. that was pretty annoying since our room was on the 16th floor. I think others have mentioned this. valet parking is $65/day, so we did street parking and just left the car parked the whole time we were there and walked and cabbed everywhere. No minibar, which i guess is the case in many corporate hotels? Canal street traffic is a bit of a nightmare. I know it's NYC, but this was really crazy. It's just such a great city and there are more enjoyable neighborhoods to stay in my humble opinion. Probably wouldn't stay there again, mostly because there are so many great options.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank csfbrooks
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

My Wife and I were in town to visit family. The hotel was in the perfect location for everything we wanted to do----Little Italy, China Town, Wall Street, 9/11Memorial etc. It provided us with the perfect jumping off spot for our daily walks and activities. The staff, from the front desk to housekeeping , was very helpful. We were on the club level which gave us the opportunity to sit out on the roof top (21st floor) with a drink in the evening and take in the NY skyline and for breakfast to watch the sunrise--beautiful and relaxing.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank gczars
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Sheraton Tribeca. It is centrally located to areas like Greenwich Village and Soho. The hotel staff was great, in particular the bell staff. David was a particular favorite of ours. We would definitely stay here again!

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends