“Glad to see such a high quality of service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Langham Place, New York, Fifth Avenue

Langham Place, New York, Fifth Avenue
Ranked #24 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“Glad to see such a high quality of service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

The Hotel Setai on 5th Ave. was a welcome surprise. From the moment I stepped out of my cab, we were warmly welcomed. Every one from the doorman, front desk, bellman, concierge, security and chambermaids were friendly. We were always greeted with a smile a warm hello and many of the staff greeted us by name. The rooms were lovely and comfortable. They had all the modern conveniences. Loved the large bathrooms. My one complaint is the rooms are very expensive. Considering you could stay at the Four Seasons or the St. Regis for the same price, and I feel they are in a much more desirable location. Room service and breakfast are also very expensive. This may explain why the dining room was not busy. However there are many pluses too. The gym was fantastic for a New York Hotel. I have yet to try the spa, but I have heard great things. The afternoon snack left in the room each day was a real treat. One day we got a soft pretzel and mustard, the next day carmel popcorn. Each night there are tasty cookies and bottled water bedside. The fridge has complimenarty soft drinks. Twice daily maid service and turn down service, Il Fiori is a lovely restaurant with a delicious menu. I would recommend this hotel for people needing to stay in this part of town. It is close to Broadway, the Empire State Building and Macy's. We will be back.

Room Tip: We had an inside room and it was quite quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank truffle55
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

The Setai Fifth Avenue is simply perfection! I knew I would be going to New York City for a required training (everybody loves those) and one of the perks was that I was able to choose a hotel fit for my needs. After telling the Taxi Cab where to go (so much fun considering this is New York City) we arrived at the beautiful Setai where I was welcomed by their staff and while they assisted me with the luggage. Upon arrival I was a bit early and they happily took my luggage and I was surprised with an upgrade. I was so happy because the more stressed I became the more they offered me in order to make me feel at home and essence tell me to 'chill'. The staff was quite welcoming and I really appreciated that. The decor of the hotel was quite modern with dark brown tones which i love. I enjoyed a few tapas at the Bar attached to the hotel. The waitress was overworked so I just went ahead and paid because I had a meeting to go to. When I arrived back at the hotel I found that my room was ready,. I was upgraded to a suite with a full tour of the amenities that are provided in the room -- it looked like it was standard practice. The interior of the room was perfect for a business traveler with all of the necessities that are needed. There was plenty of closet space and as a gift from the hotel I was able to get some pressed items. The rooms themselves were appointed with great toiletries and a marvelous bathroom. The rooms were outstanding and quite clean. The beds were so comfortable that I AVOIDED doing any type of work there because I found myself falling asleep on the beds as they were extremely comfortable. EVERYTHING that was done was fantastic and I truly enjoyed my stay. I think the people really made my stay quite pleasurable and a great place to come back from a long day at work. If I'm ever in New York City again on business, I will not hesitate to come back!! I appreciate all that was done to make my stay amazing. I WILL be staying there in the future.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank remadrid17
St. Thomas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

The Setai has truly perfected the art of customer service. The interior is perfect with understated elegance. Food beyond outstanding, room and amenities outstanding. Cleanliness of rooms and common areas outstanding.

When I travel I do not advise hotels that I am a Hotel General Manager. My eye's see everything good and bad. I was truly impressed by the cleanliness of my room (force of habit I checked everything thinking how good can they be?) The Setai is a gem. But only because of the team that works at the property, all team work.

Two negatives sorry:
1. Location location unfortunately not desirable to far down 5th Avenue.

2. Personal Assistant is useless do away with offering this amenity as they did nothing I asked for in advance. All I had to do upon arrival was call guest services and everything was taken care of. By offering a personal assistant the Setai promised something they could not deliver. I would prefer not to be offered something that is useless. The Setai more then delivered on everything else.

Bottom line one of the best hotels, which may make me decide to stay again despite the location.

Room Tip: Request high floor for view, lower floors give view of shabby buildings. Skip the personal assistant...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank seasoned_travler56
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

The Setai is located centrally in middle manhattan, very close to major points of interest, walking distance from th Empire state bulding, Time square and Broadway, Grand central station, the Rockefeller center, and conveniently close to public transportation. The service was impeccable. We were in a suite, which was spacious, furnished in modern "wood" decor, comfortable bed, Nespresso machine, spacious closet and bathroom with upscale shower and bathtub fixtures; there is a TV behind the mirror, the screen of which blend with the mirror. The restaurant and bar are pretty nice. The price of the hotel, though, is expensive and while it is exceptional, greta hotels can be found at a much lower price.

Room Tip: We used a package, which gave us free Wi-fi and half of the regular room price - it was still expens...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ztraveladdict
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights recently and thought all the core categories - service, room and amenities of this hotel - were all fantastic. Definitely amongst the top tier of the other hotels we've stayed in Manhattan; comps being St. Regis, Peninsula, Four Seasons, and Mandarin Oriental. Certainly the Setai's vibe is much "cooler" than the others but certainly not as obnoxious as say the W Hotels. I would say this is a high-end contemporary, appealing to the "trendy" crowd in the 30s and 40s vs. the W Hotel which is more in the 20s.

The more minor gripes:

* Power outlets in the room. Amazingly, there were very few and it's not as business user-friendly as I would have thought

* Construction behind hotel. Definitely a little noisy at times from Mon - Sat during construction hours and this is unfortunate which the hotel can't control

* Area of town - while 5th Ave is quite nice and convenient at various stretches, the area where the Setai is located (between 36th and 37th St) is somewhat remote and not really "nice" (e.g., in the high 50s / low 60s St) or more convenient (e.g. low 20s / high teens). I'd say the mid 30s St is the no-man's land and once you get to 34th St, that's the annoying tourist area by Macy's.

But aside from the minor gripes above which is quite immaterial, this is a fantastic hotel. Would definitely recommend this alongside any of the top-tier comps discussed above.

Room Tip: Must get a room AWAY from the construction area. Room service, surprisingly, was quite good!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple