“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Jacksonville, Florida
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

great hotel and location. Right across from the NY Public library and Bryant Park.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

I stayed at the Andaz hotel with my boyfriend in late October. From the outside, one would never guess that such a trendy hotel exists.

On the positive side:
1. Our room was quite spacious for Manhattan and the decor was both trendy and functional. The floor to ceiling windows really open up the room.
2. The minibar was well stocked, and all snacks and non-alcoholic beverages were complimentary.
3. The bed was super comfortable
4. Service members were attentive without seeming overly enthusiastic that it comes across as fake.
5. The gym seemed quite nice, but I didn't get a chance to try it. We were too busy in the city.
6. The hotel offers complimentary umbrellas for use during the day.
7. The hotel is perfectly located across from the New York Public Library on E 41st and 5th Ave.

On the not so positive side:
1. The check in process kind of threw us a bit. We weren't sure what was happening, as there is no front desk per se. However, they offered us a complimentary glass of wine while check in took place, which was well appreciated. I would suggest that the hotel explains the check in process to their guests upon arrival so they are aware of what's going on. We were very confused.
2. As soon as we arrived (Thursday night), I contacted the operator to have dry cleaning and shoe polishing picked up. This was done right away and I was asked when it should be returned to me, stating that the earliest would be the next day (Friday) at 9 am or alternatively at 6 pm. This was fine with me as I was planning to wear this suit on Friday night, so I asked that it be delivered by 6 pm. Come Friday evening, my suit was still not there, so I contacted the operator and was informed that my dry cleaning would be delivered later in the evening. I am not one to make big fusses, so I just picked a different suit and shirt and went on my way - especially because I really had to get going. I arrived at the hotel late at night after my event, and my dry cleaning was still not delivered. I contacted the operator again and I was informed that there was nothing they could do so late at night but that they would inform the manager in charge of the dry cleaning services to contact me in the morning. At about 10 am on Saturday morning, I still had not heard anything, so I contacted the hotel again and was put on the phone with someone who sounded young and unprofessional in how she approached me - not in a rude way, just not at the level at which the rest of the staff had behaved. She let me know that they send their dry cleaning to Staten Island and that they've been trying to get in touch with their outsourced dry cleaner but haven't been able to reach them. She said, "you can go out into the city and when you get back, I should have an update." After all this time trying to track down my dry cleaning, her statement didn't give me any comfort. However, we went out for brunch and I tried not to be bothered. Once we came back to the hotel in the afternoon, my dry cleaning was still not delivered. I immediately contacted the operator. This time they had found it and sent it to my room right away.

I am generally not bothered with things like these, but the entire situation seemed preposterous to me. If I am offered dry cleaning delievered at 9 am and it arrives 2 days later, I think the hotel has a serious issue. I always overpack, but it could very well have been that I would have found myself in a predicament with nothing to wear. I could have taken the suit to the nearest dry cleaner myself and it would have been guaranteed to be done by the next day. I was also not impressed with their approach to the situation, where I was offered few apologies, and even fewer solutions. This is not a cheap hotel. I was paying close to 500 USD per night, so I expected a little more attention when things were not going as promised.

The hotel was a great choice in many respects, and I will likely stay there again because I enjoyed everything else about it and the location cannot be beat. However, I will not ever send my dry cleaning out with them again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank IAH88
Newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

3 night stay (and my fifth visit to New York) Hotel was perfect. Location/Room/Facilities/Staff/Service - everything was spot on.
Seriously - you cannot ask for a better location - slap bang in the middle of all Midtown attractions. My room on the 14th floor (king suite) was beautiful - very very spacious/clean and stylish..and that view..wow!
The staff were very friendly and attentative..not affected or aloof like other trendy hotels.
Facilities were great..The Bar Downstairs has a great clubby like vibe (strong drinks and good tapas like food) The Shop was a great place for breakfast - I intended to go for breakfast each morning to other places - but ended up having breakfast all 3 mornings it was so good...and having breakfast with the public library as your view..great!
I was offered a late check out which was really accomodating and my bags were looked after all day which was useful to make full advantage of a late flight and enjoy the city.
I cannot recommend this hotel enough - I would not consider staying anywhere else next time in New York.

Room Tip: Upper rooms - and splurge out on a suite - soo worth it!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank jhn_wgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Arriving early, we were able to check into our room in the North tower; an excellent option if you're after piece and quiet.
Wowed by our room and its mod-cons, I was impressed by the amount of space, which is typically limited in NYC hotel rooms.
Free mini bar was ideal, and stocked up daily... Toiletries were also of quality and also replaced daily.
Would have appreciated more light in the dressing area, however the space more than compensated for this.
Would have appreciated more 'local' knowledge from front desk staff; they were unaware of how 'fruity' an area of Brooklyn was and could not recommend either cab or subway.
I do partially agree with some of the attitude comments in relation to the staff of the andaz; being British I do appreciate friendliness, and did find staff cold at times. Perhaps boarder line rude, however this is not dissimilar to the residents of NYC, it's who they are and I
visit for the sights, shopping and food, not to make friends!
Overall a wonderful stay, and would recommend at least trying andaz to see if it's for you!

1 Thank JKJordan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Exceptionally well manned staff - a refreshing experience in NYC.

1 Thank Kingsw1