“So that's what that button does.”

New York City Photo Safari
NYC After-Dark Photography Tour
Ranked #19 of 628 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Join NYC Photo Safari for a unique photographic experience to sharpen your photography skills. Led by published industry professionals, our photo walking tours of New York are for small groups & individual photographers; from beginner to advanced amateur skill levels.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Boston, MA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“So that's what that button does.”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I took the basic course in Central Park - I know enough about cameras to not take pictures of my thumb, but Zim was very patient and showed a remarkable ability to make the steps towards taking much better pictures simple and intuitive. I can't recommend this enough if you want to graduate from holiday snaps that make one shudder to photos other people would like to see.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank A T
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Hebrew first
Abuja, Nigeria
“Nuts & Bolts and NYC After Dark”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I was in New York for a vacation last month and took the Nuts and Bolt and NYC After Dark safaris. Being a first time visitor to the city and a budding photography enthusiast, I thought the safaris would be a great way to improve my knowledge of photography and see a bit of the city . I wasn't disappointed.

The 1st class gave us the foundation we needed to understand and get the best out of our cameras. The 2nd took us out to Time Square and gave us the chance to practice what we'd just learnt.

Zim, our instructor, was great. A lively and engaging person, she made the first class fun by approaching the subject from interesting angles. She also made sure to provide quick and helpful tips for taking great pictures in all kinds of light conditions.

When it came to the second safari, she blended an educative photograpy practical with intriguing tips about the city that could only have come from a local. I was able to start taking creative shots and to understand the physics behind them. I understood the equipment and accessories a lot better. And very importantly, since it was my first night out in the Big Apple it made me feel relaxed to be in the hands of a capable New Yorker. I came away wishing I could have done one more tour (The popular High Line Park comes to mind). Oh well, next time i guess. I enthusiastically recommend New York Photo Safari to all shutterbugs visiting the wonderful city.

Visited July 2012
NYCPhotoSafari, Manager at New York City Photo Safari, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Dear Mdk N,

Thank you for the review. Nuts & Bolts and After Dark is a great combination! Most people have a hard time figuring out how to take pictures at night because it is rather technical, so the combination with Nuts & Bolts is perfect because (as you aptly noted) you learn the technical side of photography and then get to put your new knowledge to work right away. Night time is also the best time of day to experience all that is Times Square!

We'll look forward to seeing you at the High Line Photo Safari on your next trip to NYC!

Diane
NYCPS
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Make New York City Photo Safari your first stop”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Making New York City Photo Safari your first stop on your visit to NYC can literally change your image of this beautiful city. The 2.5 hours at the High Line Photo Safari was of great value to remind you of what photography is about – and what it is not about. With a great combination of theory, learning by making mistakes, and miniature assignments with immediate feedback our instructor, Zim, gave us a toolbox of simple but yet very effective and useful tips. The next trip to New York will likely include another NYC Photo Safari

Visited August 2012
New York City, New York
“Great Time”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I did the HiLine Safari with my 13 y/o daughter. Our instructor Zim was extremely knowledgeable and approachable. We both had a great time and learned a lot. Most importantly, we learned that having a lot of impressive equipment does not make you a photographer, and that sometimes the young see things an older person just misses.

Visited August 2012
Phoenix, AZ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“New point of view on the Highline”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

The Highline Photo Safari was an amazing learning opportunity for me and reignited my love for photography. I was able to get some great tips from our instructor and he helped me see the photos I was taking in a new point of view. All his tips and pointers made me think about the pictures I would take for the rest of my trip and the rest of my life. I learned so much and only wish I took the Photo Safari earlier so I could have gotten better pictures in the beginning of my trip. I have to say it was worth every penny and it was really amazing to be actually taught by a professional photographer. When I go back to New York I will definitely be going on another Photo Safari! Thank you for the wonderful experience and I look forward to my next trip!! :)

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Xtina19_12
Dear Xtina19_12,

Thank you for your review. A Photo Safari is a great way to start any NYC trip. It's good insurance that you'll have great photographic memories of your trip. All of our photographers are working Pro's. As a matter of fact Frank Rocco is the serving his second term as the president of the NYC ASMP chapter. We're happy that you have some skills that you will be able to use down the line. Perhaps next time you're in NYC you will be able to join us earlier in your trip!

See you next time,