“Nolitan - fresh, new, very nice and helpful staff”
Review of The Nolitan Hotel

The Nolitan Hotel
Ranked #150 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 31 August 2012

The Nolitan is in a convenient quiet location if you want to be in the lower east side. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They not only stored 4 very large suitcaes for us but even helped us move them to our child's apartment a block away! The linens are very nice and the bed is comfortable. Overall, the hotel is fresh and new and the staff is eager to please.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

Staff was extremely helpful and very courteous. I had a couple of issues that were resolved well but two things had not been resolved. I did not get a newspaper each day, and did not have any turndown service on the second night. I arrived for the CB at 9:30am only to find nothing left but yogurt. Second day the bagels were stale. In addition, turndown service did not include tidy up - garbage not removed, glasses not replaced. I did ask about the turndown service, but I recieved no response to my query. I did love the location, the room was fabulous and the people were terrific. Loved the rooftop terrace as an oasis of serenity! Could have been a little cleaner up there.....no garbage can provided so folks just left their garbage. I will consider the hotel again, as these issues are easily fixed and not a deal breaker for me --- a request was sent for my feedback and I am looking forward to see if these issues are resolved for the future.

I would definately consider booking this hotel again, the rooms, while small, are well organized, comfortable and very clean. I had the neighbourhood corner and it was truly lovely! Well appointed, huge tv - lacking a lot of tv stations though for NYC. Nice electronic amenities, free bikes and skateboards although I am not one to take my life into my hands and bike around NYC!! Traffic is a disaster at all hours. The neighbourhood is very safe - I walked alone at 1 pm at night and did not feel uncomfortable. Serviced by many subway stops, tons of amazing restaurants - this property could not be more well located to see the heartbeat of NYC!

A new addition is "Happy Hour" at 6 - 8 pm - I missed it on Staurday as I had to leave early for dinner and the theatre, and it is not available on Sundays.

Check out the fabulous little organic wine shop across the street - don't miss the great eats and night life in the LES - try Stanton Social --- trendy but really good!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank princess416
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Booked into the Nolitan last year, just after it had opened, after a rave review in the Globe and Mail and we were back again this year. It's the perfect little hip, posh hotel in a hip neighbourhood--walking distance to Soho, Greenwich village, and Little Italy with gorgeous night views of the Empire State building and the Chrysler building to the north and the Williamsburg bridge to the east. We have yet to have a bad meal in the 'hood in spite of no advance planning, and they're all within walking distance. On weekend nights some of the streets in Little Italy close and it's a street party! Shopping in the area is also excellent.

The hotel itself offers organic, sustainably-sourced toiletries from the Red Flower (http://redflower.com/), comfortable robes, pillowtop beds, and a turndown service that includes cookies. The staff is unfailingly helpful and eager to please. An example from our recent stay: because the restaurant was undergoing renovations and therefore unavailable, they compensated in three ways: you could order from a group of 15 excellent area restaurants and staff would bring it to your room; there was complimentary continental breakfast each morning; and there was a cocktail hour from 6-8 that included free wine/sparkling wine and snacks. Really nice touch...this made it feel like coming home. We'd take our glass of wine to the rooftop patio, which offers fabulous views, and watch the sun go down before heading out for dinner.

We'll be back!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have views on two sides and comfortable stand-alone tubs.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We stayed at The Nolitan for 2 nights, since we called to do the reservation the front desk staff was amazing, we arrived and the staff greeted us like family, the room was very nice and the decorations perfect for our style, they had everything you need, Toiletries, slippers, robes....
Even the continental breakfast wich took us by surprise was perfect.
We go to New York every year and will sure come back to The Nolitan every year!!!
2 Thumbs up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Pick a corner room and a Top floor, you can here everything from the rooms near the elevators!!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Picked the Nolitan based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. I wanted a boutique hotel in the LES that was a guaranteed, sure-bet great exprience, and that's what we got. I paid ahead and splurged for the Corner King for a surprise weekend birthday get-away. the room was a perfect size for 2, with views of the river on one corner, and the Empire State Building the other. At night, it was spectacular!

CONCIERGE:
The front desk staff double as concierges - that's a new thing, apparently - so they were still a bit green around the gills helping us find some information, but they're absolutely wonderful and kind, and infinitely patient. They also managed to secure a dining reservation at Le Bernardin on a Friday night when I could not, which gets them bonus points in my book!

FOOD:
The continental breakfast is very basic and blah (though the coffee was good), but their restaurant was under renovation when we were there, so I'm withholding judgement on the food angle, but they do get points for arranging delivery from 15 area restaurants including famed Blue Ribbon Bakery, which they plate on-site with real silverware - a very clever 'stop-gap' measure that actually gives you access to some amazing food without the wait in line!

There's a tiny Asian hotdog shop a block away that has outstanding food for cheap - the kimchee dog is great, and the corn dog was sooo good... virtually no seating, but if you're just wanting a quick bite, highly recommended. The market, 5 blocks away, has TONS of great food options for self-catering, or just for munching - it's not for tourists, it really is mostly locals... ask the front desk for directions. There's also a kosher bagel place in walking distance that caters to locals and is very bare-bones, but is amazing.

LOCATION:
The location is very close to all the major LES shopping streets, subway, and just blocks away from some incredible ethnic eats. In fact, we took a food tour with The Enthusiatic Gourmet, and we were able to simply walk five blocks to the old market to meet her, and spent half a day touring Jewish, Italian, and Chinese neighborhoods all in walking distance of the hotel - it was a complete blast (found her on TripAdvisor, and highly recommend it too).

ROOM:
The picture is just the slightest bit deceptive.... in the King Corner, the photos appear that you could see the skyline from the free-standing (AWESOME) tub - but the placement of the work desk and flat screen TV actually interferes with this, so you can see out the window to the sky, but not the skyline per se. Not a dealbreaker, just a bit of a bummer. Similiarly, it appears that the windows are floor-to-ceiling panoramic views, but in reality it's a cleverly designed window that has mostly frosted (opaque) glass, with a few key panels of clear glass giving that amazing view. This means that you have masses of beautiful sunlight, but you have about 18"-24" of actual "view" windows to see the skyline - which you can see from the bed, but it's not a sweeping panoramic view as I expected. On the other hand, you don't feel compelled to close the curtains when you shower/bathe/dress, which is nice - and I did wonder about the privacy with all-glass on the room.

The toilet is separate from the sink, in the European pre-war style. The corner king had a lovely glass shower plus the awesome soak tub - it wasn't big enough for my six-footer and me to comfortably be in together, but it was wonderfully deep and perfect for my LUSH bath bombs - which I forgot to bring with, but there's a LUSH just blocks away from the hotel!

The "minibar" is divided into a mini fridge in the closet, and snacks in the bedside drawer... you can choose what you want to have ready ahead of time with a clever survey on their website - where you can also request gym passes, newspapers, and other amenities. There are also myriad "adult toy" options on their menu, which I thought was a fun touch ,and optional add-ons including wine or champagne in the room, cheese plate, chocolates, and even rose petals scattered on the bed... they really have the best a la carte menu for room options I've found!

The main floor has lots of seating areas for lounging and meetingup, and a functional library that is actually somewhere you'd WANT to hang out and relax - something no hotel lobby usually does for me. I didn't make it to the rooftop deck, because we always went out early and got back late, but other reviews say it's a priceless view - and considering the view we had from our top-floor room, I can only say I would agree.

There's a safe cleverly built into the bedframe, which is easy to acces, and fits a standard laptop plus other stuff.

The closet has the usual amenities - robes, slippers, large umbrella, etc.

WIFI: we had no problem accessing wifi, included in the room price (thank you!)

TAXI CAUTION: It's difficult to get a taxi FROM the hotel, just due to the location - the front desk staff know it so if you are planning to catch a plane or train, highly recommend consulting them the day before to discuss car service or other arrangements... it took us 30 minutes on a Sunday to find a taxi, and we had to walk about six blocks with our luggage to get to a street where we had a chance to find one not occupied.

Room Tip: The hotel is small (number of rooms), so if you even think you want a corner room book immediately...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple