New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York

The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
Ranked #40 of 477 Hotels in New York City
Stamford, Connecticut
“The Chatwal surpasses expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

We had heard that The Chatwal was a wonderful hotel, and our stay in late August surpassed my high expectations. An absolutely perfect experience, check-in to check-out. On arrival, we received immediate attention -- friendly, professional and most important for me, non-stuffy. Front desk service was genuine and helpful. Everything about our room was terrific - super comfortable and quiet. As close as this classy boutique hotel is to Times Square, we did not hear a peep from the outside world. We look forward to getting back to The Chatwal again, and when we return, hope to dine at the Lambs Club restaurant (big fans of Mr. Zakarian and the Food Network's Chopped).

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank William B
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 27 September 2012
Dear William B.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

We are thrilled to read that you had an enjoyable visit and that you appreciated the proximity to Times Square.

We are very grateful for your kind words about our team.

Should your travels bring you back to New York City, we would love to host you for a return visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com if I can be of any assistance.

Lance Miller
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

I really don't understand why they received a 5 star rating. This is not what I would call a service hotel. I agree the shower and tub are amazing and the kids loved the high tech toilet. The location is great for walking around Times Square, but getting to the hotel was a crawl. The pool is smaller than my hot tub at home and my kids 5 and 8 were told to keep it down when they were just giggling & having fun. No kids menu so I ordered just one plate of pasta with butter sauce, apple juice, milk and glass of wine it was 84 dollars. I just don't think its worth it room very small and toiletries in closet not in the bathroom. They asked for my kids names and ages at reservation and told me they might have something special for the kids, nothing came. Which is fine, but don't say anything. No coffee, no chocolates and no view.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jointfixer
Dear Jointfixer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

I regret that we were unable to exceed your expectations.

The Chatwal NY is proud to welcome families with their children. Our concierge team can provide a variety of ideas and activities as to how children can achieve an exceptional, indigenous, experience in New York City.

I want to apologize that your children did not receive the variety of welcome amenities we offer. This is disturbing to learn and I thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will be investigating this matter internally right away to ensure this does not occur again.

I am thrilled to know that you and your children enjoyed the high tech features incorporated throughout the guest room. It is also pleasing to read that you were able to appreciate the attractions that Times Square offers.

I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your experience in great details. Please do not hesitate to contact me at lmiller@thechatwalny.com or call 212.764.6200 and ask to speak with Lance.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback. I will look forward to hearing from you.

Mannheim
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

This hotel which is literally a few short steps away from Times Square offers a unique high end hotel experience in New York. Exceptionally friendly and helpful staff, very stylish Art Deco interior, beautiful rooms (we had a superior guestroom which was a bit on the light side in terms of space and a very generous junior suite), spectacular bath rooms and a nice spa with a small jet stream pool. Undoubtedly expensive, but highly recommendable. This is a 10 out of 10.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mareg
Newport Beach, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

I have been very fortunate to travel much of the world staying in both some of the finest and some of the most rustic accommodations, but I've never come across a worse/more rude front desk staff. Listing the positives first, the hotel is admittedly a beautifully decorated well thought out property and the head butler Brandon was fantastic. Unfortunately, I left the hotel utterly disappointed and completely enraged by the front desk staff and management.

When booking a junior suite two months out, I requested one with a terrace and asked for an early check-in depending on availability. Two weeks out I called to reconfirm the request and when the hotel called me two days out I repeated it for a third time. During check-in, my request was once again relayed, though unfortunately a terrace suite wasn't available that day nor could I check in early... no big deal. However, I was told I could move rooms the following day to have the terrace to which I agreed to.

Later that day when our room was ready (received no phone call btw even though we were informed we would be called), it was once again communicated we would like to move the next day. The next day when I called in the front desk staff had no idea what I was talking about, but were looking into it. I called back 20 minutes later when we had to leave for a tour and were told they didn't have an answer yet, but the manager would call. Once again, no phone call was received.

Upon return to the hotel, I was told they were very sorry, but room wasn't available. Of course we had not unpacked due to the promised room transfer and was quite frustrated at the huge lack of communication especially by such an expensive/highly rated hotel. Unfortunately, I did not have time to continue the discussion as we needed to change and head to a show, but informed the manager I expected him to do something to write their wrong of over promising, not communicating between staff members and not ever calling/following up with me. Once again, a phone call was promised and never received.

That night upon return was my bubbling point as there was a new and very rude girl working the desk who told me essentially all I was saying was a lie and no request for a room was every made, meaning no phone calls before arriving, no communication upon check in, etc. I proceeded to go off on her and her manager who finally realized they were wrong and apologized. But guess what... nothing was ever done by them.

Being in the customer service business you need to control your clients expectations and if they have simply told me the room wasn't available upon check in then no big deal. Instead they caused a huge ordeal as they lacked any resemblance of customer service or professionalism. I would never ever recommend this hotel and the frustration/stress their front desk caused essentially ruined me and my girlfriend's trip to NYC.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank NBMatthew
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Dear NBMatthew,

Thank you for sharing the details of your experience at The Chatwal NY.

In order to sincerely exceed our guest expectations, we always look to accommodate all requests. Due to the high occupancy over that time period, we were not able to accommodate your requested early check in or request for an upgrade to a Terrace. It was also noted in your reservation that you had mentioned the upgrade request upon arrival. As we are only 76 guestrooms, there is only a select few suites with Terraces, which makes Terrace upgrade requests especially difficult to accommodate at times.

While it is our goal to honor as many requests as possible, we unfortunately cannot always accommodate all preferences. The team at The Chatwal NY takes a tremendous amount of pride in providing an intimate level of distinguished service to our guests. We are reviewing your comments with our Front Desk Staff and Management team to see how we can continue to perfect our communication and five star service to our guests. We thrive on feedback provided by our guests as we feel it is an effective method to maintain service levels.

Should you have any additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com or to call 212.764.6200 and ask to speak with Lance.

Respectfully,

Malvern, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

We, a family of 3 including my 12 yr old boy (who just turned 12), stayed in the The Chatwal on 44th & Times Sq. It's an experience! The Chatwal is 1 of the listed 5 Star Hotels (List of 5 start in NYC: The Pierre; Setai Fifth Avenue; Trump SoHo New York; Trump International Hotel ; Mandarin Oriental New York; Plaza; St. Regis Hotel New York; Peninsula New York).
It did not have the luxury of the open location like The Plaza or The Trump International, but it had the location history & Heritage. House in the same place with The Lamb Club, Chatwal is blessed. Luxury is defined to another dimension in this Hotel. The Guest Bathroom is a Trump card to every guest. The shower is similar to be in the rain forest in-home or Niagara in-home. It was outstanding. if you couple it with Jacuzzi, it's a topper. The in-room lighting & electronics is itself a 'show'. The closet & etc is another visual pleasure. Bed, one the best quality memory foam (coming from a memory foam user at home for 7 yrs).
The pool and Jacuzzi coupled with complementary biscotti & lemon water followed by another all around pressure shower is itself a spa experience. Chatwal's attention to detail for luxury and guest is second to none.

The Lamb Club, their restaurant is a wonderful and full of heritage. a true luxury is defined by Chatwal. I congratulate Mr Chatwal to stand with same line up w other 6 5-strays, if not being on the toppers. They know how to take care of guest, they know what attention to detail is!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lance M, Front Office Supervisor at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Dear bashishg,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience from The Chatwal NY.

We are thrilled to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and that you appreciated the boutique size of The Chatwal NY. We are pleased to see that you found the technological aspects in your room to be interesting.

We would be honored to welcome you back to The Chatwal NY for a return visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com if I can ever be of assistance.