“Luxurious...but troublesome” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #44 of 464 Hotels in New York City
New York, NY
“Luxurious...but troublesome”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

I stayed at the Chatwal earlier this year for about a few weekdays.

I came to the door, my bags were taken up. I believe I was SPG Gold at this point - anyhow, availability was low and I was put into a standard room that overlooked 44th. The front desk was kind and welcoming. However, no one took me up to my room which I usually don't mind, but more on that below.

In the room - the feel is that of uber luxury - the Great Gatsby/ Roaring 20s theme really jumps out - the attention to detail is meticulous. Now, the lighting, blinds, tv, and toilet in the room were all extremely confusing. It would have been nice if someone were to walk me through everything. I spent a decent amount of time trying to figure out both the console/ phone and their magic toilet which apparently is a heated seat with all sorts of other features. Turns out that mine was actually broken.

Anyhow, I had called and asked for a charger for my phone - it never came. I had to call back a second time - this time my butler picked up and brought it. The woman who picked up the first time was extremely rude and sour. Anyways, the bed is AMAZING. Probably the best bed I've ever slept in.

Anyways, the next morning as I'm getting ready, I asked for an iron and an ironing board. The same woman from yesterday picked up. I waited 15 minutes before deciding to just hop into the shower. Wasn't there when I got back, had to call again, wait 10 more minutes and my butler brought it. Luckily I didn't need to be anywhere exactly at 8:30 but if I had, that would have been a huge problem.

When I returned, I mentioned these points along w/ the dysfunctional electronics to the woman at the front desk. She was very understanding, asked if I knew who picked up the phone both times (I didn't) and offered to move my room to a suite with a terrace. She also sent up 2 $40 certificates to use in their restaurant/bar. I appreciated that of course. The 2nd room was even better obviously! The terrace was fantastic - very private with a lot of large plants around. It was a warm day in NYC with light drizzling.

This room had a functioning toilet with all the gadgets. I would also like to mention that the showers are GREAT (rain showers), although the sinks are a bit odd. Overall probably the most luxurious room I've been in (really just something you have to see for yourself).

Additionally, I used the gym once while there - it's tiny, just a few cardio machines and some yoga balls with a short rack of dumbells. Disappointing - wasn't able to try the pool.

Also, never ordered any food either. Overall....it's nice, but the price tag is rather hefty, I'm not sure I'd opt to stay there too often over a place like the Trump SoHo unless I needed to be in midtown.

Room Tip: Get a room with a terrace!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Lance M, Front Office Supervisor at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 6 May 2012
Dear Kal D,

Thank you for sharing the details of your recent experience at The Chatwal Hotel. We truly appreciate your time and value your feedback.

At The Chatwal, we pride ourselves on the intimate level of service we provide our guests. I would like to apologize that we failed to meet your expectations. I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your stay in greater detail. I can be reached through email at lmiller@thechatwalny.com. You may also call the hotel directly at 212-764-6200 and ask to speak with Lance.

On another note I am delighted to read that you appreciated the theme and overall design of the hotel. I am thrilled you enjoyed custom handmade beds.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your review. I will look forward to hearing from you.

Lance Miller
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

I don't feel the hotel merits 5 stars, the rooms are a bit dark, drinks and food are overpriced, etc, but I would definitely give them 4.5 stars and would return. I just feel that, for the money, and based on the other 5 star ratings, this hotel should have a bit more umph.

The hotel's background/story is very interesting, the design is very cool, the lobby bar and upstairs bar are really well designed, the luxuries in the room are fantastic.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
St. Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

We stayed at The Chatwal at the end of April for three nights. Overall, our experience was perfect -- everything was clean (always the most important area for me), the hotel itself was quiet and serene, and the staff were helpful. It was great to have staff helping with everything from handing you an umbrella as you left to hailing a cab for you. The location just off Times Square (I mean really close!) was perfect, and we were completely amazed how quiet it was inside the hotel itself. I haven't stayed anywhere else in New York, but the rooms were small in general. I would guess this is quite typical for NY, and yet the bathroom was large and really made up for the small room! As other reviewers have mentioned, the bathroom is pretty cool, and I loved the heated toilet seats! The one small disappointment was that on the phone we were told that we were given a free upgrade, and when we arrived, that upgrade was no longer "available" since someone had booked the upgraded room. While this is understandable, it would have been better if the mention of the upgrade wasn't made - since it caused some confusion at check-in and left us a little bummed initially. However, overall I would recommend The Chatwal without hesitation to anyone interested!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

My husband booked this hotel for my birthday. The room was beautiful, the staff was amazingly attentive, and the location couldn't be beat. I also enjoyed the spa during my stay, and the treatments were of the highest quality. Couldn't have enjoyed my birthday more.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear NYTheaterLover,

Thank you for your review of The Chatwal Hotel.

We are honored your husband chose to have you celebrate your birthday with us. I am delighted to know it was a memorable birthday.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Chatwal Hotel in the near future.

Lance Miller
Burr Ridge, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

If your travels call for Theatre, there is no better place to stay than the Chatwal. Amazing friendly and spot on service, the rooms are extremely modern. Truly a home away from home.

Room Tip: Splurge for one of the terrace suites, breakfast al fresco is amazing!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business