New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York

The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
Ranked #40 of 477 Hotels in New York City
Atlanta, Georgia
“Once you tuck into The Chatwal ...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

... you won't want to go out.

In the thirties and forties, gentlemen from film and theatre claimed this private space, enjoying the perfect location, club amenities and ahem.. discretion. Today- with 2012 sparkle, we can all enjoy it. The property is a jewel box. The staff understands how to deliver the magic travelers appreciate. Perfect enclave. Steps from theatres.

The earlier reviews are spot on. The upgrades will delight you; cuisine will make you smile. It's just far enough away from Times Square (one long block) to have a residential feel, yet you can zip to restaurant row in heels, in minutes. I don't thing a bad view is possible here. The historical buildings facing The Chatwal add so much. Terraces are fenced, landscaping is added... so nice.

The photos will help you take in the art deco decor. But there is more to it... the sense of belonging once you get to know the people at reception is one of family. You'll think you've come into a manor house as a guest. The property has no pretense... just that sense of belonging. I appreciated that full coffee service is set out very early in the morning, in the alcove near the elevators. No need to walk through a lobby, ask for it or wait for the restaurant to open.

I've enjoyed many a rainshowers in my life....these baths take it to a new level.

Thanks to Martin for arranging porting of our luggage across town, in the rain, like it was nothing at all. Elizabeth, you were delightful to get to know. Sorry we didn't have more time. Gemma - thanks for the tour and update on the property. Best wishes on your August arrival.

I will definitely be back and will refer.

Room Tip: This is a quiet place - no concern for noise levels. Request a terrace room - they are lovely...
1 Thank barbadiantraveler
Lance M, Front Office Supervisor at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Dear barbadiantraveler,

Thank you for your lovely review.

I am delighted you had pleasant interactions with the staff and appreciated the location and the décor of our hotel. It is nice to read that you enjoyed your guest room, especially the raindrop shower in the bathroom.

We would take great pleasure in welcoming you back to The Chatwal Hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of any assistance at lmiller@thechatwalny.com

Lance Miller
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
cali
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

service was excellent, something you'd get at a St.Regis, Four Seasons or Mandarin.
Hotel is small which depending on your view could be charming or not. I enjoyed it,
Beds & linens are amazing which for me is my #1 priority at all hotels. Second, is Service and it lived up to that as well. My only suggestion is to get a room on a higher floor, I stayed on the 3rd floor which has high ceilings but is also close to the street
and I could hear some trucks picking up trash early in the morning. Mind you I'd normally be sleeping but I took a 4 hour nap so I couldn't sleep in the middle of the night. Nothing to be too concerned about and definitely not a reason to miss this place.

Lastly they have the best toilet seats, only in Asia do you see the washlet bidets so
this was a nice surprise. You will enjoy this place,

Room Tip: choose a high floor room
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank stregis_11
Dear stregis_11,

Thank you for sharing the details of your recent stay at The Chatwal.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel, our handmade mattresses with Frette linens, and the TOTO toilets.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to The Chatwal for a return visit in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com if I can be of any assistance.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Recently spent a long weekend in the City and fortunate enough to stay at this hotel on our Starwood Points.

Incredible hotel tucked away in Manhattan's theater district. Elegant, clean, comfortable and luxurious. A real treat ... in fact, my husband took pix of the bathroom <as you might never see a TV in the wall mirror like that again! hahaha!>

Staff both gracious and welcoming ... from the doorman, to the butler, to the front desk, to the custodial staff.

The wait staff for breakfast seating in the adjoining restaurant, The Lambs Club, was a bit slow for our tastes, but, overall this did not tarnish our impression of a quality and luxury NYC accomodation.

Would definitely stay there on our next trip.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kymmi-On_The_Go
Dear KCRR,

Thank you for your recent review of The Chatwal Hotel.

I am delighted to read you had a pleasant experience, enjoying some of the hi-tech features of the room such as the TV integrated in the bathroom mirror.

We do hope to have the pleasure of having you as our guest again in the future.

toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I was fortunate enough to stay at the Chatwal for two nights. Despite it's theater district location, it was far from the madding crowd, yet steps to broadway on one side, fifth and madison shopping on the other. Restaurants are plentiful, BUT one need never leave as the bonus is that master chef Geoffrey Zakarian is not only responsible for the creative room service menu, but is the head chef of the Lamb's club restaurant. for you foodies Mr. Zakarian is an iron chef as well as frequent judge on "chopped". Plus, he is there daily for those of you who want to just stare at his gorgeous face. The Lamb's club and the building have an enormous history, but that's a story to learn once you meet the engaging staff. I became familiar with the lovely Elizabeth, the charming Lance, and Bernard the elegant butler who was available to tend to my every need. I have stayed at 5 stars in just about every city out there. I'm not a snob, but I want luxury. I'm not a fan of huge hotels. This hotel has maybe 80 rooms if that and I felt like a pampered guest. Also, as some of you are aware, when you enter a five star hotel and aren't dressed to the nines from a long flight, or a celebrity, the staff can have real attitude, or give you the once over. This was not the case. I was dressed casually as were another couple checking in and the front desk staff treated us as if we were royalty. As for the rooms? Unbelievable! They were crisp, clean, art deco and adorned with the best of luxuries from the creative mini bar items, to the TOTO toilets (you know which ones I'm talking about, if not look up what they do for you!) to the TV sets that magically appear in the mirror of the stunning bathrooms. Trust me, (despite not knowing me...) that if you want quiet luxury, this is your New York hotel. I recommend this for celebrities as they would have privacy, but it doesn't matter who you are as you will be treated as if you were a celebrity. I have stayed at all the best New York hotels, and for my money, there is no other. See for yourself!

Room Tip: all rooms are quiet!!!, the reason i didn't rate the spa was that i had no time, however if you...
1 Thank accomadationiskey
Dear accommodationiskey,

Thank you for sharing the details of your recent visit to The Chatwal Hotel.

It was a sincere pleasure meeting you upon your arrival and, giving you a tour of the hotel and the history of the The Lambs Club. I will very much be looking forward to your next stay. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com if I can be of any assistance prior to your next visit.

Thank you again.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

We stayed here 3 days, 2 nights recently =Friday, Sat, Sun. I must say it was a great time at this hotel. The staff are there to take care of all your needs from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave! I want to personally thank all of them and will be staying here on my next trip to NYC.

I was able to secure a GREAT RATE for a GREAT ROOM!! Thanks front desk staff for that, we were grateful! We had a 2 full bathroom Suite with separate living room, with a huge outdoor patio with 2 patio tables and chairs. The bathrooms were great! Heated toilets and TV's in each bathroom mirror. The front desk lady mentioned this is her favorite room aside from the presidential suite! Very stylish room and hotel overall. It has every thing you need and if it doesn't you simply dial your butler and they will provide it! The property is just off of time square perfectly far enough away from all the hustle and commotion of times square.

Had a great dinner at the lambs club which was a 3 course prix fix menu. Very good service and atmosphere as well. The specialty drinks at the bar are SUPER! We took a quick hot tub and pool dip but never tried the spa services as we spent too much at dinner at Daniel!! Next time we will do the spa!

I highly recommend the property and look forward to our next visit! Thanks Chatwal Staff!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank stoutman
Lance M, Front Office Supervisor at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Dear stoutman,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share the details of your recent experience at The Chatwal Hotel. We are delighted to read you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Chatwal in the near future.

Cordially,