“I loved it and definately will stay again!!”

Harlem Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #50 of 77 New York City B&B and Inns
Tacoma, Washington
“I loved it and definately will stay again!!”
Reviewed 1 August 2011

My sister recommended the Harlem Bed & Breakfast to me because she had stayed there herself last year..Nikki it's reasonable is what I remember the most...Upon my arrival I was greeted with a smile from the owner Scott Kinder...We had previously spoken over the phone in making my reservations...so it was a very nice surprise to find him there. Mr. Kinder went out of his way to make sure my nephew and I were well taken care of! His staff was very helpful and kind to us..the Harlem Bed & Breakfast was an awesome place to stay...especially because I was working with a budget..It was clean and very nice...I got more pleasure hanging around the bed and breakfast just people watching..lol.. I had a air conditioner in my room, which was great because it was very humid and hot when I was there, the breakfast was the bomb!!! fresh croissants and chocolate chip muffins, along with laughing cow cheese and cream cheeses..orange juice and coffee and a variety of teas...It was awesome!!! If you are looking for somewhere that is reasonable and comfortable to stay on your NY trip...I would HIGHLY
recommend the Harlem Bed & Breakfast!!! when I go back next year I will be calling Mr. Kinder again...I have his number saved in my cellphone....

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank nikki357_11
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2011

It was very good of Scott to give us accommodation when our original booking at another B&B had double booked us. It would have been nice to actually meet Scott, rather than talking to him on the phone. We were left waiting for ages, with people who didnt seem to understand English very well. We were then taken to a room round the corner - one of the 'satellite rooms' talked about on the website. This room looked like someones flat - it was full of personal possessions and we felt very much as though were were intruding. In addition there was a set of stairs within the flat concealed by a screen, which concerned us from a security point of view. However, the bedroom itself was clean and comfortable. Imagine our surprise when in the morning we were met in the internal hallway by an elderly lady in pyjamas, who we presume must have come up the stairs into the room we had booked for our own personal use!!!!She did not explain who she was or what she was doing in our room!This has got to be the strangest place I have ever stayed in -no explanation about anything and a proprietor who lets out other peoples flats and is only available at the end of a phone. Certainly a way to remember a trip to NYC!!

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kaj3

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 10 May 2011

The Harlem Bed and Breakfast is located on a pretty block in Harlem near subway and bus transportation. We stayed for a wedding nearby and were happy with the excellent customer service and large room. This is not a typical countryside b and b with lace curtains and peach and pear compote French toast for breakfast. But for the price and location it was a good deal. Think NYU dorm room (but quieter and in a brownstone) with continental breakfast and brightly colored bedding and wall paint. Much more comfortable than a chain hotel with a tiny room. I mean, this had a stove, microwave and mini fridge--which is very hard to find under $200/night in NYC. The cafe around the corner and coffee shop across the street are good; there are a few very good restaurants in walking distance, and 125th has a lot of mall-type stores. So amenities in the immediate area are covered. We would recommend this to visitors who want to stay in Manhattan.

Room Tip: specify which one you want when you book
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kristen73
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 7 May 2011

We lived here for four nights. This place is great! The room is clean, the neighborhood is quite. We are foreigner tourists, and the housekeeper is so nice that he makes us feel like home. Highly recommend this B&B in Manhattan.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jing_Hg
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 April 2011

There were pros and cons to Harlem Bed and Breakfast but overall I have to say I was very disappointed after having stayed in many B+Bs in the USA, Canada, the UK and Ireland.
This is not a B+B but a hostel and, when this is taken into account, it is very expensive compared to other hostels.
Do not expect anything fancy. Do not use this as a place to stay if you are going to NYC for a treat. I would have gladly paid an extra $100 per night to have a room I would have liked to spend some time in,

Pros:
1) The location is good - it's in the South end of Harlem beside Morris Park and very close to the Underground (approx 5 -10 min walk). It was a friendly neighbourhood and felt safe. It reminded me of Stoneybatter in Dublin city - a little rough around the edges but full of character and personality. The building itself is a beautiful old redstone.
2) The breakfast - yes to give the place credit there was a good spread for breakfast with fresh croissants, muffins, cheese, jam, yogurt, juice, water and tea or coffee. The breakfast area was basically a table just inside the front door at the bottom of the stairs. There really is no space to eat there and we just brought ours to our room and ate there.
3) There is a kitchen area in the bedroom we had and the cooker and fridge were clean
4) Ensuite bathroom with a clean toilet and shower.
5) We were able to leave our luggage in the room for a few hours on the day we left which was fantastic
6) Space - there were only 2 of us but the room we stayed in had a ktchenette, a bathroom, a sitting area and 2 bedrooms so could fit up to 6 people (although it was so stuffy that would have been impossibly hot and uncomfortable)

Cons:
1) The room was worn and tired with worn, tired and old mix-matched sheets and threadbare towels (although clean). The curtain in one of the bedrooms was basically a big wad of lace held onto the curtain pole with safety pins (and the curtain rail was falling out of the wall with mis-fitting screws. There was one thin duvet in the wardrobe which we had to put into one of the covers.
2) Overall state of the room and stuffiness - the bathroom, kitchen and seating area had no windows so felt dark and oppressive. There were pipes going through the bedrooms which were so hot you could not touch them but they made the rooms really oppressively stuffy and hot. We could not open the windows and the air conditioners were creaky and dusty. One bedroom had a metal door that opened directly into an really untidy back yard.
3) Cleanliness - the utensils in the kitchen were unbelievably filthy and covered in cruddy dried in food. The table was sticky to touch and had a layer of grime. There was no soap to wash the dishes/cutlery.
4) There were rodents - our room had a mouse running around the kitchen. We told the girl who was running the place (the owners were not there during our 3 night stay) but nothing came of it.
5) General look of the place - tired and untidy and not attractive inside with old dirty mattresses leaning against the wall in the corridor, bags and clutter. Part of the wall at the stairs had paper and tape covering a very large hole.
6) There was nobody that owns/runs the place staying there. They were at the end of a phone if you were in trouble. This did mean, however, that we had to pay for the stay in full on our arrival (before we even saw the room) - something that is very unusual an should have rung alarm bells for me.

Overall not a pleasant place to stay but, I suppose, it is relatively inexpensive by NYC standards :-(

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple