Harlem Bed and Breakfast
US$ 160
US$ 149
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$ 170
US$ 219
US$ 161
US$ 127
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 163/night.

The New Yorker a Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 168
US$ 137
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 170/night.

Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 208
US$ 152
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$ 163
US$ 103
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 49% below average rates

The price you found is 49% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 202/night.

US$ 696
US$ 663
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 June 2011

It was very good of Scott to give us accommodation when our original booking at another B&B had double booked us. It would have been nice to actually meet Scott, rather than talking to him on the phone. We were left waiting for ages, with people who didnt seem to understand English very well. We were then taken to a room round the corner - one of the 'satellite rooms' talked about on the website. This room looked like someones flat - it was full of personal possessions and we felt very much as though were were intruding. In addition there was a set of stairs within the flat concealed by a screen, which concerned us from a security point of view. However, the bedroom itself was clean and comfortable. Imagine our surprise when in the morning we were met in the internal hallway by an elderly lady in pyjamas, who we presume must have come up the stairs into the room we had booked for our own personal use!!!!She did not explain who she was or what she was doing in our room!This has got to be the strangest place I have ever stayed in -no explanation about anything and a proprietor who lets out other peoples flats and is only available at the end of a phone. Certainly a way to remember a trip to NYC!!

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kaj3
Reviewed 10 May 2011

The Harlem Bed and Breakfast is located on a pretty block in Harlem near subway and bus transportation. We stayed for a wedding nearby and were happy with the excellent customer service and large room. This is not a typical countryside b and b with lace curtains and peach and pear compote French toast for breakfast. But for the price and location it was a good deal. Think NYU dorm room (but quieter and in a brownstone) with continental breakfast and brightly colored bedding and wall paint. Much more comfortable than a chain hotel with a tiny room. I mean, this had a stove, microwave and mini fridge--which is very hard to find under $200/night in NYC. The cafe around the corner and coffee shop across the street are good; there are a few very good restaurants in walking distance, and 125th has a lot of mall-type stores. So amenities in the immediate area are covered. We would recommend this to visitors who want to stay in Manhattan.

Room Tip: specify which one you want when you book
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kristen73
Reviewed 7 May 2011

We lived here for four nights. This place is great! The room is clean, the neighborhood is quite. We are foreigner tourists, and the housekeeper is so nice that he makes us feel like home. Highly recommend this B&B in Manhattan.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jing_Hg
Reviewed 9 April 2011

There were pros and cons to Harlem Bed and Breakfast but overall I have to say I was very disappointed after having stayed in many B+Bs in the USA, Canada, the UK and Ireland.
This is not a B+B but a hostel and, when this is taken into account, it is very expensive compared to other hostels.
Do not expect anything fancy. Do not use this as a place to stay if you are going to NYC for a treat. I would have gladly paid an extra $100 per night to have a room I would have liked to spend some time in,

Pros:
1) The location is good - it's in the South end of Harlem beside Morris Park and very close to the Underground (approx 5 -10 min walk). It was a friendly neighbourhood and felt safe. It reminded me of Stoneybatter in Dublin city - a little rough around the edges but full of character and personality. The building itself is a beautiful old redstone.
2) The breakfast - yes to give the place credit there was a good spread for breakfast with fresh croissants, muffins, cheese, jam, yogurt, juice, water and tea or coffee. The breakfast area was basically a table just inside the front door at the bottom of the stairs. There really is no space to eat there and we just brought ours to our room and ate there.
3) There is a kitchen area in the bedroom we had and the cooker and fridge were clean
4) Ensuite bathroom with a clean toilet and shower.
5) We were able to leave our luggage in the room for a few hours on the day we left which was fantastic
6) Space - there were only 2 of us but the room we stayed in had a ktchenette, a bathroom, a sitting area and 2 bedrooms so could fit up to 6 people (although it was so stuffy that would have been impossibly hot and uncomfortable)

Cons:
1) The room was worn and tired with worn, tired and old mix-matched sheets and threadbare towels (although clean). The curtain in one of the bedrooms was basically a big wad of lace held onto the curtain pole with safety pins (and the curtain rail was falling out of the wall with mis-fitting screws. There was one thin duvet in the wardrobe which we had to put into one of the covers.
2) Overall state of the room and stuffiness - the bathroom, kitchen and seating area had no windows so felt dark and oppressive. There were pipes going through the bedrooms which were so hot you could not touch them but they made the rooms really oppressively stuffy and hot. We could not open the windows and the air conditioners were creaky and dusty. One bedroom had a metal door that opened directly into an really untidy back yard.
3) Cleanliness - the utensils in the kitchen were unbelievably filthy and covered in cruddy dried in food. The table was sticky to touch and had a layer of grime. There was no soap to wash the dishes/cutlery.
4) There were rodents - our room had a mouse running around the kitchen. We told the girl who was running the place (the owners were not there during our 3 night stay) but nothing came of it.
5) General look of the place - tired and untidy and not attractive inside with old dirty mattresses leaning against the wall in the corridor, bags and clutter. Part of the wall at the stairs had paper and tape covering a very large hole.
6) There was nobody that owns/runs the place staying there. They were at the end of a phone if you were in trouble. This did mean, however, that we had to pay for the stay in full on our arrival (before we even saw the room) - something that is very unusual an should have rung alarm bells for me.

Overall not a pleasant place to stay but, I suppose, it is relatively inexpensive by NYC standards :-(

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mary Devins
Reviewed 4 April 2011

I stayed here from November 3rd to 8th as a solo traveller. I had booked the basic room without the en-suit bathroom, but that room had two double beds and a kitchenette included. The room and bathroom were clean and kept clean every day of my stay. I had wondered if the shared bathroom would have been a bad idea before I had gotten there but in all honesty I didn't have to wait to use it at any point. Now maybe there're weren't many guests at that time that I was sharing with but I found it fine for my stay.
The breakfast consisted of croissants, yoghurt's, cheeses, bread rolls, muffins, fruit, orange juice and any hot drinks you can think of. There was plenty of food so you could take what you wanted which was ideal as I was on a budget so I filled up in the morning to save having to eat out lots during the day! The hallway where the food is laid out is quite small so I found it a much better idea to grab what I wanted and head back to my room to eat it. The blueberry muffins in particular deserve a special mention I feel, they were delicious and easily the nicest one's I've even eaten! Also when you came back in the evening there would still food there which you could help yourself to which was very useful for a late snack. My only complaint with the breakfast was that I'd prefer it to be earlier than 9am as I liked to get an early start to my exploring.

Location wise I found the street itself to be nice and quiet and it looks guite nice too with the trees on either side of the street and Mount Morris Park on the corner. The people I met on the street were very helpful whenever I'd ask for directions and all I can say for anyone who is put off by the image Harlem once had, don't be.

For transportation it was just a 5 minute walk at the most to get to the subway station on 116th street were I could get the number 2 or 3 train which pretty much serviced all my transport needs for my time there. Either of these trains will bring you to Times Square in about 15 minutes. I did get a taxi back to the Port Authority when leaving which cost about $20 as my luggage was too much for the subway. It was actually one of the owners of the b&b that organised this taxi to collect me from the door which was very helpful.

One thing about my room was that it only had a small portable dvd player instead of a tv but since I don't really like watching US tv it didn't bother me too much. I used the free wifi to watch everything online. By the way you will need to contact the owner to get the password to set this up when you get there.

Also on the day I was checking out the owners let me leave my luggage there while I went about the city even though I wasn't leaving until well past my check out time, this was a huge help to me as I was worried that I'd have to drag my luggage after me for the day!

Overall I found the place to be clean and quiet to stay in, it's a no frills place so don't be expecting a 5 star hotel room, but in Manhattan theres very little to touch it for location and price. I'd definitely consider staying there again!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo