All reviews bathroom mirror front desk new york madison park boutique hotel lobby bar corner room greenwich village location is great visiting nyc yogurt the empire state building tv eataly floor subway block
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location and easily walkable to anything mid-town Manhattan has to offer. My room was on the fifth floor across from the elevators. Admittedly, I'm not from NYC so the loud noise from the street kept me awake most of the first night, this is pretty normal for big city living. I slept like a baby the next two nights though. Because the halls are narrow, The housekeeping staff can be heard in the hallways talking fairly clearly in the mornings from your room. If you don't have an early start to your day, this may be bothersome to you.

Good amenities and the room, while small, was plush and the shower was awesome. The real selling point for me was the staff of this hotel. Everyone was so kind, friendly, and helpful. Kendra and Leo were my favorites, and another taller black man (bellman?), I didn't get his name, was so helpful on things to do, and just making small talk with me while I waited on friends.

When I return for business I will stay here again without question.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Good location. Very friendly, helpful front desk staff: Benz, Osvaldo & Angel and all the porter guys made our 7 night stayed much more enjoyable. Rooms and hotel very clean. We'll recommend this hotel to family & friends.

Room tip: As beautiful and interesting as it is, New York is also a noise polluted city, never a quite moment... from police sirens , firetrucks, taxis & garbage trucks they all give you a good noise dosage and adding to all that, the hotel has live loud music every night. We were glad our room was on the 9th floor for a good night sleep on their comfortable beds.
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I'm rarely this conflicted about a hotel. I met a total of 4 people, and they were all very nice. And that matters. It's also true that the rooms are put together pretty well (although the cut out for the TV looks to have been made by a dull hand saw).

The problems that doomed this review all cropped up in my first hour there. First, I was informed that my credit card would be charged the room amount plus $100 for incidentals, and whatever I didn't use would be returned at check-out. A customer-unfriendly policy. Charge incidentals after they happen. Obviously. Second, we were 3 thirsty travelers when we arrived. A nice relaxing drink at the bar to unwind from the drive? No, the hotel bar doesn't open until 6. Really? So instead of quenching our thirsts, my daughter decided to look in the huge floor to ceiling fish tank in the lobby. She was quick to point out the 2 big dead fish. 5 feet from the front door, 10 feet from the front desk. And no one noticed?

This hotel wants to be a night club after dark, and the lobby is cluttered with cardboard boxes and DJ equipment. It doesn't welcome a traveler looking for a nice hotel.

The nice staff deserves a positive review. But I won't stay at this hotel again. No attention to detail. Not a place that aspires to hospitality; rather a place aspiring to attract aspiring hipsters.

Room tip: If you stay here, you definitely want a corner room as high up as you can manage. The nightclub in the lobby could be heard on the 4th floor.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
CrystalCorrea, Director of Operations at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear ChrisHNewYork,

Thank you for choosing the Flatiron Hotel for your recent stay in NY. My sincerest apologies for all of the unfortunate first impressions. Our focal attraction in our lobby is the fish tank which we take great pride in maintaining. Sadly, our fish were infected with a virus called "ick" which was being treated. It's unfortunate that we lost some of our fish during the process and that our valued guest were exposed to this unsightly image. We certainly value all of our guests and their experiences at the hotel.

We look forward to changing your impression of our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This was my first trip to NYC and staying at the Flatiron made it better than I thought it could be! The hotel was clean and the room had everything we needed. The staff were extremely friendly and very helpful whenever we asked for anything. The location was perfect--we could walk to everything we needed and there were great restaurants close by. I highly recommend it!

Dear Heather B,

Thank you for choosing the Flatiron Hotel for your recent trip to NYC. I'm thrilled that you found our staff and rooms to be very accommodating. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

This place definitely has its pros and cons. The location is ideal as it is a short walk away from a subway station and there are many places to grab breakfast before you head out for the day. The room was relatively clean and the shower was great.

On the other hand, the nightly music was usually terrible (singers always out of tune), the beds were uncomfortably firm (and I typically like firm beds), and our sink would not properly drain. We called maintenance about it but their solution was to take out the stopper, which did not change anything. Also, do not be surprised about mini-bar items being inappropriately charged to your room. Annoying when the one tray of items is on the desk you would like to use. We were told at the front desk that the sensor is incredibly sensitive and that "looking at it may charge you!". Okay...

Thankfully, you do not spend much time in your hotel room and at least it was clean. As others have said, only stay on floors 5-7 in order to get a good night's sleep. Odd business model when you place offering entertainment higher than giving your paying hotel guests a good night's sleep. I understand that this does not apply to everyone but it seems odd when there aren't that many individuals listening to the music in the first place, particularly on weekdays. I have read the replies from management mentioning "light sleepers". You do not need to be a light sleeper to be able to hear that music. Geesh.

Was it an adequate stay? Sure, but I certainly would not recommend it or return. We were there for over a week and that was enough.

Room tip: Only stay on floors 5-7.
4  Thank CanadaAroundTheWorld
CrystalCorrea, Director of Operations at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear CanadaAroundTheWorld,

Thank you for choosing the Flatiron Hotel for your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback. My sincerest apologies for the inconveniences experienced during your stay. The response to your maintenance issue is certainly not typical and is absolutely unacceptable. We also have several mattress options, some of which are firm and others are soft. If you choose to give the Flatiron another chance please reach out to me directly and I will personally ensure satisfaction.