“Canceled booking”

Hotel 99
Superior, Colorado
“Canceled booking”
Reviewed 9 June 2011

I stayed here before and really liked it, so I recommended we stay here when my family wanted to see New York. We booked 2 rooms for July 2012, and just 2 weeks ago received a strange email telling us about some housing law changes and that they have to cancel all bookings because of this, and that they were sorry. But no offer of different hotels. They must have given out our email address though, as other hotels contacted us to offer us rooms, and so we found a replacement. No real explanation to why they have to close though, so it makes you wonder if they got busted for some violations or something? In their own interest, a real explanation would have been better. But at least it seems they are not accepting an reservations for this time, and they did inform us via email. Glad it wasn't a day before arrival!

Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I telephoned Hotel 99 the day before my arrival to double check that my booking was in place. They told me that there had been 'a change to New York housing law' which meant that they had been forced to cancel all bookings. They did not email me or otherwise notify me of this change, leaving me high and dry and without much of an apology or any effort to secure me a room somewhere else. The excuse was also obviously a lie. It was graduation week at nearby Columbia University and my guess is that they received a large block booking and preferred to take that, ignoring their obligation to honour my reservation. At the very least they should have found me a suitable room nearby and covered any difference in cost. I still haven't received any written apology or account of what happened - all I got was a diffident person on the end of the phone who would do nothing to help me out of my predicament. Avoid it at all costs.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank A_L0nd0ner

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Nottinghamshire
Reviewed 12 May 2011

We booked a double room with private bathroom, and cannot fault it. The room was cleaned every day with fresh towels provided, the staff where friendly and helpful and the location was great. Only downside was the noise from the road, since our room was right on the front of the hotel. We bought earplugs from the hardware store downstairs which helped. We used the local "Americana" food deli on the corner of 101st. great coffee, snacks + open 24 hrs. The Metro Diner was ok, apart from the old guy who comes in at night , sits at the bar and spits on the tiled floor......gross.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which is not facing Broadway if pos
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RocketRiley
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 May 2011

I booked this hotel about 4 weeks ago for a weekend in NY. Two weeks before the date of arrival I got an email from the hotel stating they canceled my booking. In fact it said that all bookings for May and onwards were canceled. Luckily my stay was still 2 weeks away, but for those who had booked for the beginning of may: horrible! The cancelation had something to do with a new law, but nothing was specified. I phoned the hotel to ask for an explanation, which remained rather vague. The owner was friendly and all and new laws might not be in his hands, however, that doesn't make it OK to cancel bookings without providing another hotel option in a similar price range with free rooms. A law is generally not issued from one day to another, so they should have known.

I was looking very much forward to staying at hotel99 after reading the reviews on tripadvisor, so was pretty bummed and stressed when I got the email. The hotel I got now on short notice is about 100$ more expensive for 3 nights, money that I had rather spend on other things when in NY. However when looking back in time into the reviews, I found a similar cancellation action back in 2009. This is thus not the first time the hotel has canceled bookings just like that, therefore beware when you book this!

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LoveTraveling00
Glasgow
Reviewed 7 May 2011

I was so impressed with Hotel 99. From the very start and throughout our stay the staff were friendly, chatty and very helpful, providing us with a list of local restaurants and bars.
The entire hotel was very clean, especially the shared bathrooms, not a stray hair in sight! Yes the rooms are on the smaller side but as its been said before, in New York you really only want a bed to sleep in!
Our only complaints would be the boiler problem which led to one day having a cold shower, however it was fixed the following day, and they took some money off our bill for this. The other issue they couldn't really do much about, but we had several mosquitos (or similar biting flying insect- definitely NOT bed-bugs) in our room, and had to buy bug repellent. But they were only minor complaints.
As I said myself and my sister were both really happy with hotel, excellent location to explore the upper west side, and not too far away from all the attractions of mid town.
Nearby recommendations would be Regional, an Itailian restaurant on Broadway between 98th/99th. Food was amazing, best cheese ravioli I've ever had, and they do cheap deals on a Monday. Also Sara Beth's on Amsterdam and 80th, few blocks walk but fantasic for bruch and outdoor seating.
Another major plus is the hotel provides free wi-fi, at many other more expensive hotels you have to pay for this.
I could go on and on..... but simply for a reasonably priced hotel that is reassuringly clean and well located you cant go wrong with Hotel 99.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends